“Birthday weekend gateaway!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Orlando, Florida
“Birthday weekend gateaway!!!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It was my birthday and first time in Atlanta so I wanted to make it memorable. My girlfriend and I decided on making The Ellis our place of stay. Our check in time was 4pm, but got their at 10am and ask for an early check in, they said they'll have a room ready for us asap and 45 mins later they did. That was awesome of them. PROS: In midtown within driving distance to many popular landmarks, we had the basic room because we planned on being out the whole time. The room was pretty small, but the pillowtop bed made up for it. Bed was huge and felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. Great!! The entire staff was polite and respectful. Everyone had a smile on their face and said hello as we passed them. Hotel is fairly clean and not noisy. CONS: Parking... Either you pay every time you leave and re-enter the nearby garage or you get valet parking. Valet service was very slow when it came to getting our car, I mean 20 plus minute after calling for it, but the hotel front desk staff apologized on their behalf. Construction was heavy in that area which caused us to take multiple detours to get to the hotel, not fun. Lastly a male housekeeper stormed into our room after one knock, didn't give us anytime to answer at all. Other than that our stay was great and the city is amazing... Would definitely stay at the Ellis hotel if and when we visit Atlanta again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel C
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Good Afternoon,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Although I was excited to read all the positive comments, I would like to apologize to you for the hosekeeper who did not wait for you to answer the door before entering. This is certainly not how we normally enter guestrooms, and I assure you that we will provide additional training to the housekeeping employees to make sure everyone knows how valuable our guests' privacy is. Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and I was glad we were able to be a part of this special occasion.
Olya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Finnish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Hotel it self was very modern. The room was very small but it was just me and my boyfriend so I can not complain much but, the bed was one of the best I have ever slept on! The front desk staff was very polite and helpful. My only cons about staying here was we had to drive around the hotel about 5 times because first the bad construction going on and traffic we couldn't find the sign and then when we finally realized were the parking lot was we had to drive around again because the garage is behind the building. Another bad thing was the valet was $25 per day but every-time we called for our car in advanced it took about 20 minutes for them to get our car. Lastly the bad thing was when we first got there while I was dressed and my boyfriend was sleeping housekeeping walked in on us. Front desk was very nice and the hotel was nicely decorated I believe I would maybe stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience with theTripadvisor community. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and the service we provided. I do apologize for the delay you experienced while getting you car. I would also like to apologize that a housekeeper walked in without proper notification. This is certainly not how we normally enter guestrooms, and I assure you that we will provide additional training to the housekeeping employees to make sure everyone knows how valuable our guests' privacy is.
Thank you again for the feedback, and we hope to see you again next time you visit Atlanta.
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Ellis is a very comfortable hotel with a home-like feeling. The entire staff is friendly and welcoming. If traveling without a car, the convenience to Marta, directly across the street makes getting to and from the airport extremely easy. It is a perfect choice for a quiet stay in a busy city.

Room Tip: upper floors are extremely quiet--no street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed for just one night before taking a flight home from Atlanta. Upon our arrival there was no self-parking available, which was particularly frustrating as there was no valet when we first arrived and the hotel is on a busy street. Then once we got inside we were told that we did not have a room booking, despite us having booked (and pre-paid) months in advance. Despite arguing with the desk clerk we were told that our booking just did not exist. We managed to locate a print out of our booking confirmation and the desk clerk then went to investigate the situation. After about 10 minutes of nervous waiting we were told that our booking had incorrectly entered for the wrong month. As our Internet booking confirmation showed the correct dates, we were to gather that the hotel staff had incorrectly transferred this information over onto their systems. The desk clerk was then able to allocate us a room. We thought that after this massive error (which could have left us without a room if the hotel had been full booked, or if we had been unable to provide evidence of our booking) that we might at least get an upgrade on the room, or something complimentary, however all we got was a (rather insincere) apology.

Aside from this issue, the actual room was clean and comfortable and the hotel was well located within walking distance of several attractions (including the Coca Cola museum and the Aquarium) and it is also opposite a MARTA station (although the train service proved to be very unreliable and we felt rather nervous waiting around it at night).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our first time visiting the Ellis. As other guests have said, finding the valet entrance was a bit confusing for us. We had to circle the neighborhood to make sure we came up in the right direction, and then we had to concentrate to find the entrance. Once we did, we got checked in rather quickly, thanks to the friendly desk-person, Ryan. When we arrived in our room, after traveling up the security elevators (you need your room key to activate movement), we were pleased that we had ordered the corner room.

We had a lovely view of the Ritz Carlton across the street and were able to people watch from the window. Unfortunately, the bathroom was not as tidy as it should have been. There were visible rust stains in the toilet and hair in the shower that did not belong to either my husband or myself. The phone in our room did not work so we had to use one of our cellphones to call down to the front desk to order the room service, which came with our room package.

The two highlights of the stay were the ultra-comfortable bed and the delicious Terrace breakfast. The location of the hotel is also great because of the Marta station right across the street and the establishment’s proximity (walking distance) to Underground Atlanta, The CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park, Philips Arena, the Georgia Dome, and all the other tourist attractions people like to visit in Atlanta.

Would we stay here again? Probably not but honestly, you can’t beat the price of this downtown boutique hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed January 5, 2014

How do I adequately describe such a warm and lovely oasis from the rush and rumble pace of Atlanta?
The seamlessly efficient team at the Ellis, along with the lovely corner room and the GREAT references for our unusual service requests make this my all-star #1 favorite hotel of many years of travel.
Olya, Nikole, Sidney, Keshon, Daniel, Sylvester, Nikki, Brian, Troy, Chauncey, Johnathan, Keith, Sheree.....
......the list of star players is too long to include here, BUT they all work together tirelessly and devotedly to produce superior customer service results. I have stayed in over a dozen Atlanta hotels, but slept, and was cared for the best at the Ellis. I will loudly recommend this hotel, the acutely well-chosen menus, the intimate bar and the constant desire to please AND anticipate guest's wants, needs and desires. BRAVO!!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are fabulous in this wonderfully well-kept secret.
Green Features: There is a notice about saving towel laundry and divided trash receptacles for re-cycling. The staff is constantly conscious about recycling concerns and about patrons.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Ms. Rita,
It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest-we certainly hope to see you again soon! Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community and for the kind words about our staff: I cannot wait to share your review with everybody! Again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you next time you're in Atlanta.
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and very professional. I echo all of the gray things that have been said about this hotel. The location is GREAT! We were able to walk to everything we wanted to see, or take the MARTA, which is located just across the street. The two items that keep me from giving this hotel an excellent rating - noise level, and the internet. Neither were a major issue, but it would be finishing touch to receive an excellent rating.

I did find the rooms to be quite loud, we woke up every time the AC/Heater unit kicked on. In addition, we could hear the people in the next room quiet clearly (it could have just been a noisy neighbor).

The internet was free (big positive for this), but the speed was quite slow. We found using our phones data package and creating a hotspot to be faster internet then what the hotel provided.

All in all, I would stay here again if I was on vacation, but if it was for work the slow internet speed would make me think twice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience-we truly appreciate your feedback. We have recently increased our bandwidth and are still working on resolving some glitches with the provider. I certainly hope that you consider staying with us next time you visit Atlanta, as this problem will be resolved in no time!