“Great Service, Great Food”
Review of Ellis Hotel

Ellis Hotel
Ranked #47 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great Service, Great Food”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ellis for DragonCon 2012. We had dinner and breakfast there. Everything was excellent. If we had a problem, it was resolved promptly. My friends didn't want to stay at the Ellis this year because of the cost; but, the food was so great we went back for dinner this year.
They have closed the balcony section (it's now for functions) so the Terrace restaurant is just the bar, some tables inside next to the bar, and a few outside tables just past the bar – all on the ground level. We ate at the bar. The staff was very nice and pleasant. We had the same bartender from 2012. He is excellent. Everything a bartender should be.
French fries are outstanding! Salad delicious. Malbec very good. Shrimp and grits excellent. For dessert, we split a peanut butter chocolate mound of deliciousness.
Atlanta is putting in a trolley downtown so it has been hard to get to the Ellis; but, it is worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your loyalty-I was very excited to hear you enjoyed the food when you visited the restaurant. Be sure to book early for DragonCon to be able to get the best rates out there.
Olya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Finnish first
Bradenton, Florida, USA
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this hotel on accident. It was our second pick after the Westin, so not that big of a deal, but I was reminded of the mistake our entire stay as the giant 60 something floor Westin was right outside of our window. lol The Ellis is 16 floors, 17 with the Penthouse and we were lucky enough to be on the 16th floor. The views were nice, but that dang Westin took up 1/4 of it. We were in room 1605 and it was small, but we were only there for a night and didn't mind. We liked being able to open the windows in our room (one all the way and the other two partially) as you could tell no other hotels around us had that option, not even the Westin. ;) We did not explore the hotel very much since it didn't have a pool or anything. I was worried about staying here after the accidental booking because someone had mentioned their AC didn't work. Ours was a little funky too. My boyfriend slept toward the windows and I the bathroom and I was hot all night and he was freezing. The bed was comfortable, but the temperature issue ruined that night's sleep for me. We did have bums asking for change around the hotel, but no more that anywhere else and we decided to just stay in our room and enjoy the views and people watching once it get dark. I did wish the room had a refrigerator or microwave, I think you can request a fridge. I'll never understand why $50 hotels generally have these amenities and $100 + hotels do not. We paid $105 for a deluxe king room not including tax and parked in a garage nearby for $18 overnight.
*No scary 'haunted' experiences either!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your business. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our beds and the view from the room. I am sorry to hear that your sleep was affected by the room temperature. I wish we had known so that we could have resolved the issue on the spot. We do have refrigerators available upon request. I hope you consider returning to the Ellis for your next visit to Atlanta.
Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was a little worried about the trolley construction, after reading all the reviews here. We did have a little trouble getting to the hotel, but it wasn't major on the day we arrived. And we didn't hear any construction noise. It was Labor Day weekend, so I think they just gave everyone the time off.

The room was great. Relatively spacious and clean. Our room looked right onto Peachtree Street, which would have been AMAZING if the parade actually went down its usual route. But, since it was detoured this year..that was a fail. Also, facing Peachtree made for an amazing amount of noise on Friday night, with the con goers and football fans. It was really, really loud in our room. Which was complicated by the fact that...

... our air conditioning was not actually working, to help drown out the noise. The controller was just dead. We got to the room really late and didn't realize this was a problem until around midnight. There really wasn't anything the hotel could do at that point. But, we called them to report it and they took 50% off the rate for that night and got it fixed the next day. And, once they fixed it, it worked great and drowned out all the street noise. So, I really can't complain too much about that...but it would have been nice if someone had noticed that before we checked in.

Otherwise, the hotel had a great breakfast buffet for $15 per person, which worked out well for us, when we were in a hurry to get out the door to get in line. They don't have a ton of stuff, but it was all good.

All of the staff were lovely and took really good care of us, from the desk clerk to the bellman to the valet guy to the guy making the omelets.

I really enjoyed my time there and hope to go back again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the location. I apologize that we didn't spot the problem with AC before you checked in; however I'm glad we were able to resolve it quickly. Thank you for the kind words about our staff. We hope that you come back to see us next year.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2013

There was construction going on when we checked in and the staff was very helpful in directing us into the hotel. Our bellhop was just fantastic and the staff at the front desk was great. However, when we got up to our room, the A/C was not working and the maintenance person came in and said they would come and fix it right away...they did not during the 2 days we were there so the A/C ran the ENTIRE time morning and night. The bed was super cozy as well as the pillows. Great bathroom as well. Our main complaint about this hotel, despite the beautiful rooms, was the air freshener that seemed to piped into the rooms. It was quite overwhelming. It was almost like they were pumping fabric softener smells directly into the room. It was just too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon, thank you for your feedback. I apologize you ran into a problem with air conditioning and that the air freshener was overwhelming. This is definitely not a usual occurrence and I will bring it up to the housekeeping/maintenance managers. We hope to have another opportunity to impress you next time you visit Atlanta.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

One the day of my stay I was having a bad day. I was tired, frustrated and overwhelmed. I walked into the hotel ready to go to my room and go to sleep, the front desk representative at the time was so polite and concerned about the frustration in my face and continuously asked if there was anything she could do to make the day any better. At the end of my check in I was laughing and she sent me to the bar to have a drink. Thank god for people like Ms. Helena, she did an outstanding job. I can't wait to come back and see her again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank asia_noelle
Good afternoon, Thank you for the kind words about our staff.
I'm so glad the front desk agent and Helena were able to make your day:) We look forward to having you as our guest again.
WINSTON SALEM
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Wonderful staff any problem we had were quickly corrected. Best A/C I have ever had in a hotel very cool room. The ac has a slightly loud fan but I like that sound to help me sleep. I will defenately be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm grad to hear the problem you encountered was resolved quickly.We look forward to having you back soon.
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

During a recent overnight trip to Atlanta, we stayed at The Ellis Hotel. It was very charming.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and extremely comfortable. Where most hotels have flat, unfluffy pillows this hotel had eight pillows per bed in varying thickness and size. As someone who prefers a thick, feather pillow this came as a very welcome surprise. The beds were firm but soft and I had no problem falling asleep. Their daily parking rate was 1/3 the cost and their nightly rate was about 1/3 less than other hotels in the vincinity

The hotel is in a great location with several restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

We will definitely stay at The Ellis Hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the comfort of your room as well as the staff. Many of our guests appreciate the extra pillows:) We hope to see you again when you're back in Atlanta.