“Friendly people but mixed reviews on cleanliness and services”

Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #37 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Things haven't changed too much since my last stay. I was hoping for improvement. I am here a few weeks at about $240 night (not inexpensive for me). For that I expect a fairly nice room with good room amenities, but am disappointed. The bathroom mirror is cracked. The bed sags towards the middle - I tried both (same thing). There are holes in the wall where something was removed. There was a lot of long black hair in the shower on check in and the soap dish had chunks of dried on soap and debris. Obviously it wasn't cleaned. Makes me wonder if the sheets were really changed. The stains on the carpet make it look dirty but the other light dirt hasn't moved since I arrived, making me realize they never vacuum. Only once in the two weeks was almost everything replaced as I would expect daily, Most days, I suppose since I am the last to be changed, I don't get all the items replaced, eg. missing towels, soap, shampoo, new creamers, coffee replacements, new cups, toilet paper, kleenex, etc. I never received a new pad to write on after used up. I know I can buy one but for $240/night I think it should appear. One night there were no towels, so I had to use hand towels. Many days the glasses were left dirty. I hesitate to complain, since I then expect retribution from the maid. Besides that major disappointment, the people at the front desk and in the breakfast room are all very friendly. I appreciate working WIFI and the coffee in the lobby in the morning, if it isn't empty. if only the cleaning staff were better, I could heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Harman H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I sincerely appreciate your sharing feedback about your most recent stay at our hotel. I must admit I'm disappointed in the cleanliness and condition of your room as you've described. Normal protocol is for a guestroom to be serviced to a degree in which it's cleanliness is unquestionable. Anything short of that is unacceptable in our eyes. To that end, we failed you. I deeply regret letting you down.

As always, your feedback will be used to aid in the training of our associates and the review of the processes in place. My hope is that the service you received from the front desk and restaurant team was good enough to provide me with a chance at redemption. I'd love to discuss your experience in detail, at your leisure of course. I can be reached at 404-704-8042.

In Service,

Harman Hall, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Beautiful room and view. Conference facilities are top notch--I enjoyed the stay. Internet wifi is excellent. Several options on site to find food/drinks/gifts. It is easy to navigate. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate you sharing your comments, especially about our Wi-Fi. We recently upgraded our system to provide faster upload and download speeds for our users. We realize that when travelling for business, productivity can be the difference between a good trip and a bad trip. Thanks again for posting a review.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Overall this hotel is a fairly nice place to stay.

Rooms: The room that we stayed in seemed a little small to have a double bed in it. Also, as other people have said, the AC is kinda noisy. It was very clean though, and was kept that way throughout our stay, so housekeeping gets a thumbs up for that. Our room also had a small refrigerator, a keurig coffee maker, and a microwave. Our room was on the 11th floor so we had minimal traffic noise, and it was also away from the 7th floor which has a good number of people running around on it because of the fitness room and the pools.

Fitness room/pool: Their fitness room (I felt for a hotel) was quite nice. Each machine had a small tv attached to it, which was nice, but don't forget your earbuds to plug into it. There are two pools, a larger outdoor pool, and a smaller (about half the size) indoor pool. There is also a hot tub. Each of the pools has a seat lift for those who need it.

Valet: The valet peoples were very nice, HOWEVER it seemed like they could have used another worker some of time. There were a couple times where we waited for a good ten minutes for our car.

Other notes: In the morning, down in the lobby they have coffee, hot cocoa, and tea. In the afternoon they put out a dish of cookies, along with lemonade. This hotel is also conveniently located next to the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola, both of which I would recommend going to.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for allowing us the pleasure of serving you. I'm sure future travellers will find this review to be quite helpful in familiarizing them with our hotel. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thanks again for staying with us!

Best Wishes,

Harman, GM

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My experience at this hotel was good, the jacuzzi room and the outdoor pool was very nice.The hot tub outside by the pool would have been great if a guest had not let a child in it who urinated in it and announced that he just did that. I think children should not be allowed in a hot tub!

Room Tip: jacuzzi room are nice
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blakmustang

Thank you for posting a review of your experience. I'm sorry to hear about the incident in the hot tub; I can assure you that the engineering team took the necessary steps to restore the hot tub to its normal state.

We'd be delighted to have you visit us again. If I can assist you in booking your next trip, please don't hesitate to call me at 404-704-8042.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very good hotel, as expected for this chain, clean, good work spaces, nice rooms. But the bar closes very early (9pm on Sunday, 11pm other nights), and the area really shuts down early, there is one bar several blocks away (Tacomac) that stays open later. Pool/spa closes at 11 also, though the exercise room stays open 24 hours.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your comments about your visit. They are not only helpful to other travellers, but also to our team. If your travels bring you back to Atlanta, we'd love an opportunity to host you again.

All the Best,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Mine and my husbands experience was very good, felt that the cost for the room and the cost for the valet per day was too high, but all in all the experience left a good taste in my mouth. This was my first stay in Atlanta. Should I come back, I will try to find more reasonable locate accommodations.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this location for three nights and received an upgrade to a junior suite. I was alone but the extra space is always nice. There are many, many hotel options in this general area but this property was nicely located, modern, and clean, and overall a very good value. Service was friendly and accommodating. The convention center is just down the block and across the street. The aquarium is behind the hotel. There is a Legal Seafood connected to the property that provides a bar and restaurant that might otherwise be lacking compared to some of the larger chains around. The exercise facility was adequate and better than that in most HGI's. Breakfast is a buffet only ($12.95) with a cold buffet option for $8.95. To get a straight shot to and from the airport, the needed Marta train station is about 7 blocks away. Bed and pillows provided a restful nights sleep. I did not get my usual HH perks of my newspaper of choice and regular bottles of water, but that was not a major setback.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. It's always a pleasure to hear from senior contributors and loyal guests like you!

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive your Hilton Honors amenities at arrival. I'm happy to look deeper into this as there must have been an oversight on our part. My direct line is 404-704-8042. Feel free to give me a call at your leisure.

Thank you again for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Atlanta!

In Service,