“Great Museum if you are in the area.”

David J. Sencer CDC Museum
Ranked #56 of 289 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The Global Health Odyssey features both permanent and changing exhibits that focus on a variety of public health topics. Permanent exhibits include the Global Symphony, an unparalleled multi-media installation and the Roots of CDC, which traces the origins and early history of CDC through 1976. Both self-guided and guided tours are available.
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Museum if you are in the area.”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I stumbled upon this while in ATL while my husband was on business. It's a very well done museum with great exhibits. I am in the medical/public health field and really enjoyed spending a couple hours wandering around. It is free and open to the public. Security is tight but everyone was very nice. Highly recommend!

Visited April 2014

• Arabic first
New Jersey
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Hidden museum ”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Have been to the CDC several times on business and didn't realize there was a museum open to the public until now. Not only does it chronicle the history of the crusading work down by the CDC in reducing disease and injury, but the exhibits also highlight the tie between social justice issues like poverty and education with poor health. You can easily spend 1-2 hours. It's free. A little hassle with the various security checkpoints is worth the trip.

Nashville, Tennessee
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Nice Surprise”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was surprised to find that the CDC allowed visitors let alone had a museum. It is a small hassle to get in with the guards checking IDs and thoroughly going over your car but it is free and unique. You also have to go through a metal detector once inside but hey this is Atlanta right. The museum is small by most standards but informative and nicely displayed. There are many free brochures, pamphlets, and news letters available free of charge.

Visited April 2013
Waynesville, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Really Impressed!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I didn't expect to like the CDC Museum as much as I did. My husband, who works in health care, is very interested in working for the CDC one day. Since we were in Atlanta for the weekend he had wanted to take a look at the campus and go to the museum. I had thought this would just be a scientist's/health enthusiast's haven, but kept surprisingly finding information for myself to learn as well. Since it's the CDC, there is a bit of security you have to do through. We had to park at the mall across the street, and once inside, sign in and go through security. There is no charge to see the museum. We spent about 1.5 hours inside and I'm sure my husband could've stayed longer, but I was hitting my max. There was a lot of great information. Some scary, some shocking, and most interesting. I definitely recommend making a stop to this museum.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank JillLovesTravel
Rochester, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“CDC Museum!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

When I found out from "Mysteries at the Museum" that the CDC has a museum, I knew that I had to go. It was awesome! There's a bit of a deal with security (it's the CDC, after all!) and they need to see ID and need to search the car, and the museum doesn't have any signage, but you just go into the main gate and they tell you exactly what to do.
The exhibits and displays and information are great, and I was thrilled we had a chance to see it.

Visited January 2014