“Whoever started burning this place down shoulda finished the job.”
Review of The Masquerade

The Masquerade
Ranked #7 of 133 Nightlife in Atlanta
Reviewed July 8, 2012

A group of friends and I decided to see reel big fish at this so called " venue" named the masqarade. My friends mother passed away and it is our tradidition to see this band whenever they tour. We drove from Birmingham to Atlanta to see one show and within the first 35 minutes we all left. This venue will do nothing but disappoint you and take your money, the staff and bartenders also look of a drug addicts persuasion. The point is don't give this giant burntdown, crack addict, no air conditioning establishment your money. Just stand outside and listen to the music for free.

7  Thank Matthew R

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This venue is in Midtown. They have three levels with some performances going on simultaneously. They have great acts and appear to cater to a younger crowd. A short drive from Olympic Park.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I had read reviews of this club here and elsewhere before taking my wife the show last night, We're recycled teenagers and have been going to clubs, concerts and dives since the 60's (although not near as many recently I have to admit). After a few of the bad reviews, I had concerns and really wasn't sure what to expect.

This is what we saw when we got there. The club is only a block over from a section of town which appears to be in the middle of a revitalization. New strip malls, old industrial buildings being converted into loft apartments... you get the idea. We did park a block over at the Kroger but there really didn't end up being a real reason to. If we go again I'll park next to the club. The outside around the club was relatively well lit and had pretty steady foot traffic with people arriving and leaving from shows.

I'm not sure what some of the "bad" reviewers were expecting to find in an old converted mill. The building is old!!! Come on...To get to see a band you really love for only a little more than the price of one of their t-shirts ($26.00 for two tickets), I wasn't expecting the place to have polished brass and stained glass...and it didn't.

The security staff we dealt with were friendly and answered all the stupid questions we had. They couldn't let my wife bring in a bottled water (which was understandable, but it doesn't hurt to ask) so they kept it in the ticket booth until we came out. May have been because we were "old" people... or could have been because we didn't give them a ration of crap. The inside was relatively clean... cleaner than I had been led to believe. The restrooms were operational... and again relatively clean. The air circulation was fine. It got warmer as the crowd filled the room... didn't break a sweat though.

We didn't want to stand the entire show so we pulled up a couple of bar stools and sat by the railing surrounding the stage. We were probably 8' from the band. We don't drink so my wife had a water and I had a soft drink ($1.60 total).

Just as long as you know what to expect and you can live with it, you can enjoy good music from the band you love.

It was a fantastic, intimate experience. The band was extraordinary, we were practically on-stage with them. The crowd was crazy but nothing REALLY crazy and I would definitely, positively go back again.

6  Thank Chas-GA
Reviewed March 5, 2012

First off me and my fiancé went to see the Attack Attack show back in February. It was a really old building that a bum would be sketched out about. But on the inside it wasn't too bad...I think... I couldn't tell it was so poorly lit. Speaking of 'lit', 3 kids and I mean kids, smoked pot in the opening sets. And no one stopped them. Really? And the second floor, named heaven, its floor bends and buckles when the crowd gets moving. Almost as bad as a tight trampoline. The neighborhood it's in is a really sketchy place too.
But passed all of that, I am deff going back because no good shows come to my area.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

First off the less clothes you wear the better as this club has 3 levels and is very hot. No air circulates at all. Our show was in Heaven. Bartenders were great and had no problems with security. We got to take all the pictures that we needed and nobody bothered us. It was an all age show so expect kids with their parents. The club is very dark, sweaty, and dungy. The tables were nasty. The sound was ok and the bands were good. Order beer as it is cold and not watered down. Mixed drinks come in very small cup and seemed very weak and over priced.

Our trip was ruined by the City of Atlanta who gave us a $200 ticket for parking on Angier St. The evening was full of tornadic weather and we never could find the Masquerade parking lot so we parked like a lot of other people down the street. Our car was on gravel, but got a $200 ticket for parking on the sidewalk. The rain was so hard only a piece of my ticket was left on my windshield when we got back to the hotel and I noticed it the next day.

Been to The Masquerade? Share your experiences!