“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #83 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Denver, Colorado
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was scheduled to stay for 4 nights while on business in Atlanta. I am a frequent traveler (I stay in at least 20 hotels a year) and for the first time in my seven years of frequent travel, I checked out after the first night and found accomodations elsewhere. I'll give this hotel two stars ONLY because the staff were amazing and friendly, and it's not the hotel's fault that it's located in such a shady part of the city.

We knew something was wrong almost immediately upon arrival. My friend and I were chased by a creepy guy in the streets surrounding the hotel at 3 in the afternoon, and there wasn't much going on in the area (no restaurants, shops, etc). After checking in, we waited a very long time to get up to our rooms, since only one of the two elevators were working. Then we got to our room on the 9th floor and that's when things got weird. Multiple rooms had piles of dirty towels sitting outside their doors. I thought maybe housekeeping was behind schedule and still coming around to pick up towels, but the dirty towels remained there well into the evening. When we got to our room, it looked nice enough for a fairfield inn (which, by the way, wasn't cheap, at $139 a night), but something wasn't quite right about the door and the wall. Both looked as though they had been either really poorly painted or scrubbed, and patches of the wall appeared to have a different paint finish than others. The worst part was the carpets in the hallway on the ninth floors, which appeared to have blood stains trickled all over, leading into the elevators. This might have been any other red substance (juice, ketchup, etc) but whatever it was, it was alarming and I didn't need to see it. The red blood-like substance could also be seen on the linoleum tiles around the ice machine and still appeared to be wet. When we realized this, we decided to check out first thing in the morning. The next morning, to add insult to injury, the iron (which had heated up for about 30 seconds on the appropriate setting) seared a hole straight through the shirt I had planned to wear to my business meeting.

I explained all of this to the front desk at checkout, but they seemed unconcerned and told me that the hotel wouldn't be replacing (or I guess cleaning??) their carpets until next month when they complete their marriott renovation.

5 Thank Jenf12345
Kdw54, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
We would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff for the discomfort you experienced during your recent visit to our property. We have shared your comments with our housekeeping staff to make sure all guest rooms and common areas are cleaned to the Marriott standards. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will come back and visit our property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel is located directly at the central subway station Five Points, maybe 50 meters distance.
Before travelling I read several reviews about this hotel saying it is unsafe to be around or to go to the hotel after sunset. I cannot confirm this.
The hotel staff is really great. My hotel "apartment" (consisting of a first room with couch, TV, desk, and small kitchenette and a second room with bed and TV) was clean and with a window to the hotel's backside I didn't heard any traffic noise.
However, the first room had a (locked) connecting door to the neighbouring hotel room, where the guests made party all night long - I could hear everything they said. Of course, I asked them to reduce the loudness and they did. But it was still noisy. Such a connecting door could be more noise-blocking.
The breakfast was good. However, if you don't like to eat scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast, there is not much choice. They use disposable dishes, cutlery, and cups.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I have passed your comments about the Staff on to our management team and they thank you as well! We hope to see you again on your next trip to Atlanta.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just stayed here with young kids for 2 days. Our first room was so dirty I would not put my toddler on the floor. Then, soon after we walked into the room, we noticed public hair on the toilet (which none if us had yet used). Needless to say we asked to switch rooms. The second room was definitely cleaner...or so we thought. Until we noticed bugs crawling around the sink counter. Luckily we were leaving anyway by the time we noticed that! Meanwhile, the hotel elevator was so slow that we ended up dragging the kids up 11 or 12 flights of stairs rather than wait 20 - 30 min for an elevator to show up. This was especially hard on my elderly parents, with bad backs and knees, who were also staying at the hotel and had no choice but to go up and down the stairs. While I agree with other reviewers that the staff are very friendly, I can't believe most reviewers are talking about the same hotel! There is no way this hotel should get four stars. (Unless there's been some serous star inflation). Most motels are cleaner then this.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Ghooriye
We thank you for sharing these observations where our hotel did not live up to your expectations and we hope you will accept our apologies for this. Our management team has reviewed your comments and we are working on corrective actions to resolve anything we have not already resolved. We thank you for your review and your feedback which we are using to improve the experience other guests will have at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Washington DC
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at Fairfield. I agree with other reviewers about staff friendliness and service. They are great. Where this hotel falls down is its condition. Reportedly this used to be a Days Inn and converted to a Marriott, but it really gives Marriott a bad name. I am generally not super picky and realistic with my expectations, but I think the 4 starts some people have given this hotel is unbelievable. My first room had no heat. After the maintenance man came up twice to fix the heater (and trying to convince me the heat was working!), they switched me to a different room. The heat in that room was a little better but with no control. The water in tap was yellowish and in the sink it would not drain so I gave up using it. Carpets were stained too. Since I heard from a couple of my colleagues who also had heat problems (or lack thereof) and it was late at night, I decided to stay in the room and the hotel only because it was one block from my meeting place. Unless you have similar requirements I would recommend you stay elsewhere. Fixing the outdated hotel infrastructure would be a major undertaking so I would not expect things to improve here any time soon.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor for less noise, but be prepared for slow elevators. Check the heating and water be...
2 Thank OliverHardy
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

BLUF: The Good (the Staff), The Bad (the Bed), and The Noisy (all-night Freight Train whistles).

We booked two nights here for a weekend get-away to Atlanta but checked out after one night because of the lack of sleep we got the first night.

THE GOOD: The staff is wonderful, very warm and accommodating. From the doorman/bellman to the front desk staff to the lady running the breakfast bar - this hotel has one of best, most welcoming hotel staff I've seen in a long time.

THE BAD: The beds, however, are the WORST that I've ever slept on at a Marriott property. The one in our room was definitely NOT the standard "Marriott Bed ©" commonly found in most Marriott properties. The padding on top of the mattress springs was so thin, it felt more like sleeping on a sheet of plywood (that shook left/right every time we rolled over in bed).

THE NOISY: The final issue that caused us to check out early, and that the hotel has little/no control over, are the freight train tracks less than 100 yards away. Our north facing room on the 15th floor looked right over them and was rattled every two hours or so as the engines sounded their airhorn as they passed thru the nearby intersection and tunnel. Every time they did - we woke up.

I brought these concerns to the attention of the duty manager upon check out and she was very apologetic and disappointed that we did not enjoy our stay. She acknowledged the freight trains are loud and that the hotel is working with the railroad to try and change the whistle policy or times that the trains run. She also stated that the hotel recently changed management and the rooms are being upgraded - and perhaps ours had not been done yet, but she would bring our concerns to the management staff. Hopefully this will improve this property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Van_V2
We would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff for the discomfort you experienced during your recent visit to our property. As stated by our front desk manager the hotel is been updated and changes are being made to accommodate our guest better in the rooms. We appreciate you comments and hope that you will come back and visit our property.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed many places and this hotel has the best employees, hands down. From our check in to breakfast, to our return each night, each person was friendly and helpful and made us feel special. We parked around the corner to avoid $30 valet parking, and utilized the MARTA train *right across the street* which was perfectly convenient for getting around town. Would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for all of your nice comments. Myself and the staff work hard at providing the best service that we can possibly give, at all times and your words are greatly appreciated by all of us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return in the future.
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days for business. It's in a very convenient location and a short ride from the airport. My mini suite was spacious and clean, just what I needed. Included breakfast was good and the people who worked there were really friendly and helpful.

Only thing that struck me as a little concerning was that they keep the front door locked at all times and you have to use a keycard to get in. But I didn't have any problems in the area and frequently walked just north to a clump of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! Yes we are in a great location, in the heart of Downtown Atlanta. We are glad to hear that you had a good time visiting Atalnta and look forward to having you back again in the future.