“Still Disappointed”

Ranked #87 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Mobile, Alabama
“Still Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a second time hoping it would be better than our first experience. It was not. The room was nice and clean. It has nice finishes but seems to be done as cheap as possible. The room had electrical problems and neither one of the TV's in our room worked. Not that we went out of town to watch TV but coming back to the room at night we did want to watch the TV before going to bed. We told the staff and they did not seem to care at all. We went down for breakfast on the morning of checkout and one employee was trying to clean the counter which I was fine with. My issue with it was she just pushed her way up to the counter and did not seem to understand she was being rude pushing people out of the way. She wanted to get into the cabinets and would just open it with someone standing in front of it. Never said excuse me and may I get into the cabinet please. Never spoke a word. The front staff was nice but they did not give that feeling of I will go above and beyond. We tried this hotel again understanding everyone has a bad day or you may have just gotten a bad room the first time but the second experience was worst than the first.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank your sharing your experience at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Atlanta Downtown, Georgia. We consistently seek and truly value all feedback (positive or negative) from guests so that we may fine tune our operations. I have read from your comments that your stay with us was less than impressive. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly concerning the problems you experienced, please contact me at the hotel. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and very willing to help in anyway possible. The free continental breakfast every morning was awesome. They only had two ladies working the breakfast, but they did an awesome job and their attitude was great! The rooms were very clean. The walls were a little thin but you still had a good amount of privacy. The location of the hotel was near the Marta station, which seemed a little sketchy at first but ended up being very safe. It was very convenient for traveling the public transportation or walking places. It was right next to underground Atlanta and within walking distance to a lot of the main attractions like the CNN Center, the aquarium, And the Coca-Cola plant. Overall, this place was an awesome place to stay in downtown Atlanta. I would recommend it to anybody staying in Atlanta!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Stateboi2787
Greetings,

We would just like to thank you for the great feedback from your stay at Fairfield Inn and Suites Atlanta Downtown. It sounds like we were the perfect fit for meeting your needs. I hope you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle while visiting the numerous attractions downtown has to offer . Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit.
Poway, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The staff at this hotel is first rate. Everyone is very friendly and the rooms are clean and spacious. The gym is not bad but there are no free weights, ony cardio machines. I did not have the free breakfast but was told that it is quite good. There is also a bar with a big screen which is nice to watch sports in or after hours if it is open. The only knock on this hotel is the area which is not the greatest. It is certainly centrally located but you can tell that the beefed up security staff of the hotel is there for a reason.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Ray P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Atlanta Downtown. We are excited to hear that the service you received was top notch! While we do not have free weights in our fitness area we do provide a weight resistance machine that allows for a good strengthening workout. I hope the next time you’re in town you are able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast in addition to the other amenities we provide (shuttle service, Wi-Fi, etc…). Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is great. The beds are lovely and the rooms are great. The family room can sleep 5 and has 2 TV's. My room was on the corner of the hotel on the 7th floor facing Five Points. The view was great. We could see CNN, The Cenntenial Tower and loads more buildings from our room. The breakfast is really nice and the staff are really helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner facing five points have a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Daniel K,

Greetings from your friends at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Atlanta Downtown, the view are Fantastic aren’t they! We are pleased to hear that your stay was great and the staff was helpful. We take a lot of pride in being an all-suites hotel with spacious rooms, a convenient location, and fantastic complementary amenities (shuttle service, Wi-Fi, breakfast, fitness center). Thanks so much for sharing your experience. With feedback like yours and our commitment to continuous improvement we will continue on to achieve our goal of 100% satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I had four very pleasant nights at the hotel, which is centrally located. It is in a pocket of downtown which is pretty rundown and the area was not very busy during our stay (Labor Day weekend), right by the Five Points MARTA and Atlanta Underground. We've lived in big cities most of our lives and we always felt safe walking to and from the hotel, but that was in part because there are always a couple of police cars hanging around -- good that they are there, bad that they need to be there.

The hotel itself was very well priced at the DragonCon rate of $129 per night, with very large rooms -- suites in fact: in suite 801 we had a decent lounge with TV, fridge, microwave and sofa (which folds out into a second bed). The bedroom was a decent size, with a second TV (HBO included), as was the bathroom. The bed seemed clean (see below), though the mattress was rather too soft. The hotel also good amenities: free wifi, plus a complimentary breakfast of the usual fare (waffles, muffins, cereal), run by two incredibly chirpy and friendly staff -- we loved them!

Now for the bad parts:

First, there were bed bugs. On our return home we noticed bed bug bites springing up everywhere. We have checked our own bedroom and apartment thoroughly (being understandably worried) and found nothing, so can only assume that they come from our stay at the Fairfield. Obviously, this has been a pretty annoying and disappointing thing to come home with.

Second, one evening we came back to the room and found that it hadn't been cleaned. No big deal, but the next morning we asked the front desk to make sure it did get cleaned that day. My husband left a pair of Apple earphones out before we left -- he specifically remembers placing them on his bedside table. On our return late that evening they were no longer there. We searched the room thoroughly (going through the sheets, looking under the bed, and through all of our bags). We never found them.

We had to check out in the morning and the front desk were helpful enough about it and helped search as well. However they promised to follow up with their manager and call us the next day, but then never did. We called them a week later and were told that: the earphones had not turned up, the hotel does not take responsibility for loss, and they would give us extra Marriott elite member points for my inconvenience. We know most hotels have similar policies and obviously we understand it's a risk to leave any valuables or personal items in the room. But we would have appreciated more proactive follow up from the hotel, and for the earphones to not have been "lost" in the first place.

Room Tip: Avoid 801 -- bed bugs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank theakmeng
Theakmeng,

Thank you and your husband for staying with us and thank you for writing a review about your experience.

We consistently seek and truly value all feedback (positive or negative) from guests so that we may fine tune our operations. The comments from our guests point out the issues where we need improvement, so that the next guest will not also encounter the same. I have read from your comments that you experienced some very serious issues during your stay and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly concerning these matters.

Please contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss this matter. I look forward to speaking with you and thank you again for sharing your experience.
Estill Springs, tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This was the first time I had ever been out of town by myself. So I was understandable nervous. I was going to DragonCon and found that the awesome staff of the hotel made my experience much better. Natasha was really nice, the breakfast ladies let me have a breakfast even though I was late. The room was clean and comfortable. They even gave me the number to call the shuttle anytime I needed it. They made my first DragonCon so fantastic and I look forward to using them when I go next year. Thank you EVERYONE! Brooke F.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Greetings Brooke,

Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to your recent stay at our Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Atlanta Downtown. We all know traveling alone can be nerve wrecking and even downright scary so it’s wonderful to hear that you had such a pleasant experience at our hotel. DragonCon is one of favorite events every year and the staff even enjoys dressing like their favorite sci-fi characters.

The complimentary shuttle provided by the hotel is one of our guest favorite amenities only second to the deluxe breakfast and the free Wi-Fi.

Thank you again for your awesome feedback! Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit.
Franklin, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My mother, myself and my 20 year old son and 17 year old daughter stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend 2012. My kids went to Dragoncon and my mother and I were there just to have fun as tourists in Atlanta. I have to say this was a fantastic experience! The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I was concerned going into the city that people would be rude and in a hurry. I found this to be the opposite at this hotel. The front desk, especially Natasha, was very kind and helpful. She made sure we had everything we needed in our room. Also, the two breakfast ladies, Catherine and Latoya, were fantastic!!! They really seemed to enjoy their job, and even sang some to us at breakfast. They attended to our every need! A truly wonderful downtown Atlanta experience thanks to this hotel and the fantastic staff!!! Thank-you, Kristina L.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the North side, facing the fountain!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Greetings Kristin,

We are ecstatic to hear that your family had a wonderful experience at the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Atlanta Downtown. Labor Day weekend is one of our busiest times of year and one of the most enjoyable for the staff. We take pride in welcoming our DragonCon guest to Atlanta and we even look the part by dressing like our favorite sci-fi characters.

Our goal is to ensure every guest receives the highest level of customer service with a southern twist. We truly appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to share such kind words. With feedback like yours and our commitment to continuous improvement we will continue achieve our goal of 100% guest satisfaction. Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit to the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.