“Really Bad Neighborhood”

Ranked #83 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Los Angeles, California
“Really Bad Neighborhood”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel made me sad. I was in town for a conference at GWCC so the location was perfect. The staff were all friendly and helpful, the rooms were nice, sometimes the valet was slow (or rather should I say understaffed considering we were all attending the same event and needing him at the same time) but they were always nice, so that was all up to par for me.
BUT- and I can't move past this - it is not a nice neighborhood. Not one, but 2 of my co-workers were offered crystal meth as they walked out the door and that's for starters. I don't think I need to say much more because it just gets ugly but unless downtown Atlanta can clean up its act (which is a tough thing to ask), or unless the hotel can literally remove people from lurking and/or choosing to 'do business' in front of and around their hotel, I strongly urge people to avoid this place. There are simply too many alternatives available in close by in the same price range.
And that's a shame.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sprincer
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Good morning Sprincer,

I hope you have had the opportunity to enjoy a fantastic Fourth of July holiday.

On behalf of all of us here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, we would like to say thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We appreciate your kind words about the staff and the service provided to you.

Thank you for letting me know about the experiences outside of the hotel that you and your co-workers experienced. I am working with Mayor Reed's office as well as City Council and Central Atlanta Progress on ways to improve upon the perception of the Underground Area. I will take your comments and share them with the parties mentioned above as this is our top priority. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel to share any additional comments.

Thank you again and have a Great Marriott Monday!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The location is absolutely perfect, right at the Five Points station exit which is central for MARTA system. The check-in space is somewhat narrow and chaotic, but the rooms are very good, with space and taste. Breakfast is average, though. For that price the hotel us perfect value.

• Stayed June 2012
Good morning neglinka,

On behalf of the staff and myself at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share a review with Trip Advisor about your recent stay with us.

Our goal with every guest is to exceed their expectations when staying with us and it sounds like we hit a home run with you.

We are located in a very convenient location in downtown because of the access to Marta and walking distance to local area attractions as well.

We hope that your travels will bring you back to see us again soon.

Best regards
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel earlier this year and upon check in had several issues. I reserved 2 rooms and when I checked in they only had 1 room ready. My guests and I had to all huddle up in 1 room for several hours. On top of that there was major construction going on at the hotel. The staff was very friendly and did notify us when our other room was ready but our issues didn't stop there. There was trouble with the water and it did not work for several hours the next day and then went in and out once it came back on. The Guest services manager, Jason, offered me 20,000 Choice Privilege points which was appreciated considering my issues and as of today I still do not have those points. I spoke with Jason several times and he sated he put the points on but obviously lied b/ I only have 10,000 of those points.

I talked to customer service @ Choice and they stated he put only 10K pts on. My point is if he was only going to do 10K then just say it and not lie to your customer. He also used the COP out that they are a Marriott hotel now and not Choice. My point is I stayed a facility YOU were in charge of, Quality Customer Service should have been given regardless of who u are affiliated with. Now my calls aren't returned b/c he knows he has LIED thus providing POOR service. I WILL NOT be staying at any facility ran by JASON again and I will voice my feelings across our social medias outlets. Just provide good service. That is all and don't LIE to paying customers.. Choice or Marriott, make sure your customers are satisfied !!! We pay good money and should be taken care of if any major issues take place during our stay. 10K or 20K, the main point is the LIE!!! Jason attempted to mislead us to calm our frustration with his Hotel.

Charles Acklin,
Lou. KY

Room Tip: Don't Stay if Jason is working.. He won't take care of you..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles A
Good morning Charles A,

Thank you on behalf of the hotel and staff for taking the time to write a review about your previous experience you had with us as a Comfort Suites.

After reading your review, I am concerned that you feel that we failed to meet your expecations. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel so we can discuss your matter further.

Thank you and I hope you have a great Fourth of July weekend.

Best Regards

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2012

As a Gold Elite Marriott Rewards Member for many years, I have the opportunity to stay in many properties all over the world and definitely know how to recognize excellence when I see it. My husband and I were very favorably impressed with all our experiences at this NEW Hotel from the beginning to the end. It is very convenient to the Georgia World Congress Center (Conventions), CNN, World of Coca-Cola, directly next to "Underground Atlanta", across from Marta (subway) and the free Shuttle service (2 mile radius) was a life saver! Check in was quick, informative and the help with our bags/unloading our car was a nice "welcome". The Staff was great giving directions, etc. Being an all-Suite property is wonderful - so nice to have room to walk around, refrigerator/microwave, etc.
The Front Office Manager, Jason Weir, was the best we have run across and runs a very tight ship. Yolanda and Sherry at the Front Desk were so helpful and always with a great attitude. Katherine and Latoya (Breakfast Staff) were always so cheerful - can't believe how helpful they are and keep everything (very ample food/supplies) stocked well and clean - well above the normal experience. Breakfast is included. Even the Housekeeping proved to be well above average as well. This beats the Westin and other "premium" hotels in downtown Atlanta which are "worn and tired" - our Convention "Colleagues" who stayed in them told how run down they are. We told them how great our Fairfield Inn and Suites was. Hopefully, this Fairfield will keep everything just the way it is now.

Room Tip: Try to stay on a top floor as the train at night makes noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Good Morning rdkelton,

I hope you and your family have had the opportunity to enjoy a wonderful Fourth of July holiday weekend.

Thank you on behalf of all of us here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

It is always great to hear that a guest had a great experience and we certainly hope that you come back to visit with us again soon.

Best regards
Valdosta
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here while in ATL for GSU orientation. I had read some reviews that said the street was kinda scary with panhandlers and such, but we had no such experience. Plus the staff really looked out for us. Jason helped us over the phone with getting to the hotel, put us in a fantastic corner room with an amazing view, and also recommended a restaurant close by that had incredible food. The beds are so comfortable too. I left my phone in my car and Matthew, the valet, called my room and told me that he heard it ringing and figured that I might be missing it. Bill, the security guard, escorted me and my daughter over to the restaurant in Underground Atlanta after we said we didn't know where it was located. The breakfast hostess was a ray of sunshine. True southern hospitality. Since my daughter will be attending Ga. State Univ., I will definitely be staying here when I visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Good morning sumoore06 and Happy Monday!

I would like to offer a sincere thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review of your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

It is always refreshing to read in our guests feedback that the staff at our Fairfield Inn & Suites showed them what Southern Hospitality is all about. I am excited that we made this a stay that makes you want to come back again and again.

We wish your daughter the best of luck at Georgia State and Go Panthers!!! Come back and visit her soon.

Make it a Marriott Monday!
Birmingham
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel just became a Marriott . My first impression wasn't too great. It was my first time in Atlanta and the whole area around the hotel was very "urban" and busy with everything from homeless people to business type people. My wife was really nervous and I explained to her that it was no different from being in downtown NYC. Nobody likes to be harrassed by homeless people but it is just a fact of life in a major downtown area. The hotel itself was absolutely amazing and unexpected. The staff was welcoming and informative and the rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. I was surprised at how low the price was for what we got. Don't let the area fool you, it is loud and busy with all walks of life and completely safe. The Underground Mall thing is a waste of time. Just remember where you are and be smart if you are going to walk around at 3am by yourself- which isn't something anyone should do in any city. Overall it is a great value and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if you can for city noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Good afternoon William S.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

We strive to make every guest experience memorable and enjoyable and I'm so happy that our staff exceeded your expectations. While the area didn't exceed your expectations, I am glad the service and accomodations we provided to you more than made up for your perception of the surrounding area.

Please come back to see us again soon.

Thank you!
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were there for the Monster Jam at the Georgia Dome and had our 7 yr old son with us. I wasn't aware we were right across the street from Underground so I didn't feel comfortable with that at night. It felt very unsafe at night. The shuttle service was great going to the Georgia Dome but trying to get back was a nightmare. We finally waved down a taxi but that was after walking what felt like 5 miles in the cold. You're better off driving and parking I suppose. Check-in and check-out was easy. Only one elevator worked so we took the stairs. I would recommend getting a high floor just to keep from hearing street noise. The rooms are nice and spacious and clean. Beds are comfortable. No complaints there. So depending on what you're going to Atlanta for, I would research but if you need a place to stay for Underground, this is definitely it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Good morning Tomaloma,

I want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review of our property. We do provide complimentary transporation within a 2 mile radius of the hotel on a first come first serve basis. Thank you for the comments about our rooms and their size as we are an all suite property. We are not your typical downtown hotel and we know that being able to spread out and relax in a spacious environment is better than just 4 walls and a bed. We have converted to a Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott since you stayed with us and would like to welcome you back in the future.

Thanks for your time and comments.