“Diamond In The Rough”

Ranked #87 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Birmingham
“Diamond In The Rough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel just became a Marriott . My first impression wasn't too great. It was my first time in Atlanta and the whole area around the hotel was very "urban" and busy with everything from homeless people to business type people. My wife was really nervous and I explained to her that it was no different from being in downtown NYC. Nobody likes to be harrassed by homeless people but it is just a fact of life in a major downtown area. The hotel itself was absolutely amazing and unexpected. The staff was welcoming and informative and the rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. I was surprised at how low the price was for what we got. Don't let the area fool you, it is loud and busy with all walks of life and completely safe. The Underground Mall thing is a waste of time. Just remember where you are and be smart if you are going to walk around at 3am by yourself- which isn't something anyone should do in any city. Overall it is a great value and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if you can for city noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Good afternoon William S.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

We strive to make every guest experience memorable and enjoyable and I'm so happy that our staff exceeded your expectations. While the area didn't exceed your expectations, I am glad the service and accomodations we provided to you more than made up for your perception of the surrounding area.

Please come back to see us again soon.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Montgomery, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were there for the Monster Jam at the Georgia Dome and had our 7 yr old son with us. I wasn't aware we were right across the street from Underground so I didn't feel comfortable with that at night. It felt very unsafe at night. The shuttle service was great going to the Georgia Dome but trying to get back was a nightmare. We finally waved down a taxi but that was after walking what felt like 5 miles in the cold. You're better off driving and parking I suppose. Check-in and check-out was easy. Only one elevator worked so we took the stairs. I would recommend getting a high floor just to keep from hearing street noise. The rooms are nice and spacious and clean. Beds are comfortable. No complaints there. So depending on what you're going to Atlanta for, I would research but if you need a place to stay for Underground, this is definitely it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Good morning Tomaloma,

I want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review of our property. We do provide complimentary transporation within a 2 mile radius of the hotel on a first come first serve basis. Thank you for the comments about our rooms and their size as we are an all suite property. We are not your typical downtown hotel and we know that being able to spread out and relax in a spacious environment is better than just 4 walls and a bed. We have converted to a Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott since you stayed with us and would like to welcome you back in the future.

Thanks for your time and comments.
US Virgin Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

For a short business trip the Fairfield Inn was recommended. The suites are very clean, comfortable, large and worth the money. Nothing missing.The front desk was very helpful and friendly. Although the location is a 1/2 mile away from all the nicer restaurants, don't worry. Malcolm the shuttle bus driver will get you there and pick you up with the outmost courtesy and punctuality - a real pleasure to meet him.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Cruzanmon
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Good morning axelbaby! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We always like to hear great things from our customers especially when they mention an employee by name. Malcolm has only been with us for a few months and we are excited to have him on our team. Our rooms are much larger due to the fact that we are an all suite property and each room is a two room suite. Thanks again for the review and we look foward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Moultrie, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel, staff, breakfast and valet parking where great but don't think price is correct for area. For ppl who want to see underground Atlanta you are just steps away. For ppl who value your safety...stay away. I usually take comments with a grain of salt about "scary place to stay" I am not intimated easily but I am a smoker and stood out side of the hotel and I can tell you that there are all walks of life on that street! If you go straight out of the hotel there are approx. 4 housing projects on that rode and if you turn left out of hotel there are at least 4-6 that way and are told not to go that way by valet!! I have nothing against ppl living in the projects and you do see all walks on life down there...good and bad!

Good morning cha_cha196134675!

I wanted to thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit. We certainly apprecaite the positive feedback on the staff here at the hotel. We are very lucky to have a great group of associates that genuinely care about our guest and it shows in your comments.

We are located in a major metropolitan city and a part of the downtown convention center district. As a member of the community we support the cities efforts to assist those in need to provide them with new opportunities. We work hand in hand with the Mayor's office and Central Atlanta Progress to improve upon our downtown on a daily basis. We want Underground to be people's first stop before visiting the Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park, CNN Center and the numerous other great attractions that we have downtown.

Thanks again and we hope that you come back to visit us in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites from Saturday to Saturday. Our first encounter with the staff, we met Jessie...she set the bar for the week. She was so nice and helpful. We found that the staff went out of their way to assist us. The staff, from the front desk, to valet, to housekeeping was fantastic. Great deal for the price. Although it was close to the Marta, we always felt safe. Security was always present. We were close to everything and there was a courtesy van for further desinations. Would highly recommend this location if you are visiting downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Hello tcraigerrn!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to write a review for us. It's nice to read a review of your property and one of our associates gets mentioned by name. I am glad that Jessie was a shinning star for you during your stay.

Please come back and stay with us again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here over a year ago when this property was a Comfort Inn but stayed here recently as a Marriott property. My experience was still of high quality, and my stay was very comfortable. There were three women in the room, we all had our own bed, and we never felt cramped with all of our shoes, clothes, etc.

The suites are spacious and still look brand new. The hotel has a funky, boutique feel to it -- not what you'd expect from a typical Fairfield property. The beds are comfy and the bathroom is spacious with lots of towels. The living room area is also spacious as well functional, w/ 2 flat screens, a fridge, microwave, & minibar/sink area.

There is plenty of staff on hand at all hours, both inside and outside, and they were all very helpful and courteous. In terms of amenities - it's easy to pop onto wifi, there are free computers in the lobby, along with a nice panty/fridge for snacks, water, etc., and the breakfast area is fairly robust - a bit more than just a continental breakfast (fruit, yogurt, breakfast sandwiches, boiled eggs, etc).

Definitely a nice stay for a reasonable price - recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you on behalf of the staff and myself here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown!

We are so excited that you came back to visit with us and that you had the chance to experience us as new each time.

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and thank you for your comments.

I hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Atlanta, that you come back to stay with us.

Jeff
Boone, nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I did not have a bad stay at this hotel. But I left a coat in my room upon checkout. I called the same day I checked out to ask about the coat and was told someone would call me back. Long story short, no one called me back, I sent a fax, called several times, finally spoke with the assistant general manager, who said she would look into the matter and call me back. It took longer than a week for that to happen. I sent her a receipt for the coat and asked that I be reimbursed for it, as one of the staff obviously took it. Final word from the general manager--no reimbursement. In short, there is no such thing as good customer service at this hotel. The staff there lacks integrity. Do not stay here, and if you do, don't dare leave any personal items behind, because the staff will help themselves.

Room Tip: Dishonest staff. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Katherine C
Jeff E, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I wanted to thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comments in regards to your stay. Obviously we don't want any guest to have a bad experience and I am sorry that you fell that your situation was handled incorrectly.

The staff here at the hotel did everything they could during our investigation into trying to locate your misplaced item and I am sorry that it was not found on our property to be able to returned to you. We entrust our Housekeeping Staff with cleaning guest rooms on a daily basis and a high level of trust is earned by these associates by the lack of complaints from guest stating that something is missing/misplaced.

I think the hotel and our staff handled the situation the best that we could under these circumstances and again, I apologize if you disagree.

Thank you again for staying with us and for your comments.

JE