“BEAUTIFUL ROOM, Great Staff....but”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #95 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 14, 2011

.......don't check in around 3 if there is a big baseball game the weekend. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and I'll get into it later in the review, but first:

The Pros: BEAUTIFUL Hotel, the suites are beautiful,clean,really lovely decor, nice airy feeling and windows with great views of the city.Two large flat screen tv's and free wiFi. GREAT deal for the money. The staff was wonderful considering....and here it come:

The Braves were playing the Cubs Friday - Sunday and the fans who came for the Friday game apparently filled up the rooms so when they checked out on Sat. am., the staff couldn't get all the rooms cleaned on time for the next crowd checking in. When we got there at 3pm Sat, the check- in line was out the door. Took about 40 minutes to get to the check- in desk and then it was announced they were calling guests as rooms were cleaned. Thinking going standby at a crowded airport...people sitting on the floor in the lobby, etc. Having a good attitude was helpful and actually met some nice people while waiting for our room to be cleaned (except for those parents of those two 11 or 12 yr old boys who were crammed on the couch next to me...their boys were wrestling and burping into eachother's face while their parents were "busy" texting/playing on their iPhones ignoring their shananigans). After being there about 1.5 hrs, we had our name called!!!! I have to say, those poor employees checking people in and having to deal with irrate guests did they best they could and were really keeping it together professionally. Once we got into our room it was GREAT!!!!! Really beautiful. I was happily surprised. Probably one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in.

The area isn't the best but if you walk a few blocks it's fine. My daughter got a few wolf calls but you just keep walking and nobody pursues. Actually, when we were trying to find the shuttle to the ball game, people on the street were very helpful in helping with directions.
OH,and it's $20/night valet parking but believe me, you DON'T want to park your car on the street here!

Room Tip: Get a suite...very reasonable and beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2011

The hotel itself was great as everyone else has said. Wonderful, clean accommodations for the money. However, girlfriends beware because it is directly at the entrance to the Underground and the people hanging around the street corner were sketchy at best! Within 2 minutes of sitting in valet parking with the car running, a man attempted to car jack it with me and my infant and 7 year old daughters in the back seat while waiting for our friends to check in.
Later that day I was stopped and ahh.. propositioned by a man who saw me walking down the street in broad daylight and waited for me at a street crossing. We were told by the security guard that he did not recommend we go out at night without a security escort and got several raised eyebrows from local store owners who asked where we were staying.
Again, the hotel is nice and I know the surroundings are not their fault but fellow girl groups and families with young children should be forewarned of the neighborhood. I would not stay again simply because I felt unsafe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here for a swim meet at Georgia Tech. Very easy to get around, right across from MARTA. Kudos to front desk, breakfast lady, and shuttle driver: all very friendly and professional. Room well-appointed and clean. Neighborhood could be intimidating to some, but they had a security guard willing to walk us to a restaurant at night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My colleagues were there for a conference at GWCC - we booked this room at a FRACTION of the cost of the other Conference hotels, and were SO glad we did. We booked a 2 King Suite, which was new, spacious and lovely - 2 TVs, sitting room, desk, large bathroom. Wonderful. The breakfast staff just made our stay - despite the lack of food being delivered each day (not sure what was wrong there - days 1 and 2 breakfast was great, and it just got worse and worse), the ladies kept travelers smiling. Not the greatest location for walking at night, the walk to the convention center was not one I'd make alone at dark, and there were certainly no fine dining options nearby - Waffle House was the best of the bunch, but it certainly served its purpose. We had no issue with our room, stay, laundry service, staff, Wifi... and we couldn't beat it for the price and proximity to GWCC.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I was attending a wholesale gift show at America's Mart so I needed a downtown room for three people (my daughter and daughter in law were with me) for two nights.My daughter arrived 1st on the MARTA from the airport (20 minutes and $2.00.) The Marta station is across the street from the hotel. She was afraid to cross the street and sent me a text asking if we should change hotels. There were a lot of young guys hanging around and she had to walk through the group to enter the hotel. Once she got to the room she was very happy to see a clean, modern, very large suite with refrigerator, micro,sink, and sitting room with a nice desk. The bedroom was huge with two extremely comfortable beds with nice linens and a great city view. The bathroom was very nice, large and clean. The breakfast was less than average with a very irritable women in charge. A constant stream of complaints directed at whomever was near her made her especially annoying. I think staff should discuss their issues with the manager not the guests. We were advised by buyers and exhibitors at the gift show not to walk around the area our hotel was in at night. Also, there aren't any good restaurants within sight of the hotel so we used taxis which had a minimum charge of $14.00 even if you went less than a mile. We left our car with the valet $20 per night. The hotel has a nice free shuttle with a very good driver who will take you anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel. We used it as much a possible. I would recommend the hotel but because of the neighborhood I would not choose it for women traveling alone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We read some reviews on Trip Advisor and were leary about staying here. The hotel itself is very nice. Our room was a spacious suite...large living area, large separate bedroom and a large bathroom. The price we paid was very reasonable given the amenities. The staff was very friendly. The location is Downtown Atlanta. Yes, it is crawling with unemployed people looking for a handout, but that is to be expected downtown in any large city. We didn't feel unsafe. There is a security guard outside the building at night. He is very friendly and helpful. Also, you have to be a guest to get in at night because the front entrance is locked. It is also right at The Underground, a cool shopping experience. Also, there is a Waffle House right next door. Who doesn't love Waffle House? The only experience we had that we weren't satisfied with was the last morning of our visit. It was the 4th of July, on a Monday. They were supposed to serve breakfast until 9:30, I believe. We got there at 9:00 and the lady working in the breakfast area was already putting seats on the tables and cleaning everything up. She was a little rude to the guests. There were a lot of guest trying to get breakfast and it was evident she was sick of working. I'm sure it had been a long weekend, but don't take it out on the guests.

I would stay at this hotel again. My family stays at Comfort hotels a lot and I have to say, I haven't had any bad experiences with this Chain.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank adkmommy1
Reviewed July 20, 2011

If you like to be near Underground, this IS THE PLACE for you!!! It is also across the street from a MARTA station that drops you after the Braves games (you catch the shuttle TO the game from Underground). In addition, you can make the walk to the "main area" where Jalepeno Charlies, Hooters and Hard Rock are located. It's about a 10 minute walk (if that) and we did it at night and in the daytime. Totally safe!!
I LOVED this hotel- very clean, super nice and quiet. The room we stayed in had a pull out couch and TV in one room, and a bedroom with TV in another. Perfect for a family or a couple who would like some extra space.
I would totally suggest staying here! There is even a microwave and fridge!
Free hotel shuttle within 2 miles of the hotel.

Room Tip: Great location to Underground and MARTA. Free Shuttle to Braves games. Near downtown bars
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple