“nice, but somewhat overrated”
Review of Georgia Aquarium

Ranked #1 of 290 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Georgia Aquarium is the world's most magical aquarium. Situated near Centennial Olympic Park and World of Coca-Cola in downtown Atlanta,Georgia, Georgia Aquarium offers its guests an experience like no other. Across six separate galleries, with more than 70 amazing habitats, 10 million gallons of water and thousands of species of marine animals, guests will marvel at, learn about and come to better understand such majestic aquatic animals as whale sharks, manta rays, dolphins, beluga whales, sea otters, African penguins and thousands of species of exotic fish and other animals. The spectacular AT&T Dolphin Tales show combines incredible natural animal behaviors with dynamic theatrics, a Broadway-inspired musical score and a compelling story, which together underscore the connection between humans and the animal world. The animated "Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow," for all ages, tells an entertaining but important story about conserving and protecting animals and their natural environment. Cafe Aquaria offers delicious sandwiches, salads, pizza, pasta and delectable desserts. Two gift shops give visitors the chance to take home a treasured collectible. Special animal encounter programs offer the chance to go behind the scenes and come face-to-face with dolphins, sea otters and penguins. Guests can even swim or dive with whale sharks and manta rays in the world's largest aquarium habitat (at 6.3 Million gallons), Ocean Voyager built by the Home Depot. And an onsite parking deck immediately adjacent to the aquarium means quick, easy-to-find and affordable parking.
Huntington, NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“nice, but somewhat overrated”
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Beautiful building, nice to walk around in, easy to see the exhibits but we were there on a supposedly quiet day, and there were still plenty of people. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was more crowded, which it supposedly frequently is.

1 Thank leijsw

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Amazing to sea”
Reviewed September 6, 2008

This was the 2nd time we've been to the aquarium, and once again it was an amazing visit. Got there at opening and was there till closing! This is the best aquarium I have ever been to. We've gone to the one in Chattanooga TN, and the Ripley s Aquarium in Gatlinburg TN most recently, and neither of them have anything on this place.

First off this place is HUGE. Where else in the states can you go see 4 Whale Sharks Swimming around! We are talking 16-20 feet long animals here my friends!. They also have recently added a Manta Ray that is 9 feet across, its just monstrous. Another addition we heard is that they are going to be getting dolphins soon, which will be neat, but the person I talked to seemed to think they were going to be getting rid of the Sea Lions to make room for the dolphins. Which is kind of a bummer, because the Sea Lions are always a joy to see.

The touch tanks are astounding, there is no other place that I know of that you can touch Sea Anemones. I love getting to see the Sea Otters, they were a lively pair this time and seemed really happy. There is just so much going on here, almost too much to see.

I will say the silly 3D show (a nemo knock off) isn't worth your time, unless you have small children. But they have a Titanic exhibit there right now that both my wife and I really enjoyed (yes it costs extra, DOH)

Also the Food is insanely priced, but I figure as long as it goes back to funding the aquarium (which it appears it is) its worth it.

Like I said we visited this place about 2 years ago, and it still looks as fresh and new as when we visited then. Kudos to whoever is running this place, it seems like you are doing a great job. Also every person I talked to standing around to answer questions at various spots were extremely knowledgeable and friendly.

I will definitely visit this place again next time I'm in Atlanta

2 Thank Kuthulazrah
Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Seems We Had Perfect Timing”
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I read many reviews before our Aquarium visit. I was concerned about the crowding issue but we seemed to hit the perfect timing. My 9 year old son and I arrived at 3:00 on a Wednesday. I ordered combination tickets with the World of Coke online. World of Coke is a short walk across the plaza. Knowing the Aquarium closed at 5:30 and the World of Coke at 6:30, we alloted two hours for the Aquarium and one and a half hours for the World of Coke.
We parked in the plaza's parking deck and waited behind one family at the "Will Call" window with our printed page in hand from our internet purchase. There was no "crowd" to speak of. Knowing that a nine year old boy does not have the stamina for a slow and methodical exploration, I was not concerned about the limited time. I went at his pace while guiding him to read some interesting facts and ask the guides any questions I could not answer. He was able to touch all the animals he wanted to touch, see all he wanted to see, and linger as long as he wanted to linger. I do not think we rushed through in the least and we were ready to leave by 4:30 (with no stop in the gift shop). We spent most of our time in the "tunnel" looking at all marine life on all sides then lingered a long time at the huge observation window. With the identification card they provided, we worked at making sure we saw every fish on the card. We succeeded!
There were many "wow" moments. We had a volunteer guide all to ourselves for about 10 minutes. It was a great experience for mom and son.
We arrived at the World of Coke in time to have basically a "V.I.P." experience with only 5-12 people in each of the theatre experiences. There was plenty of time to taste EVERY flavor in the tasting room. Leaving the parking deck was a pleasant surprise at 6:30 - there was no charge!
You may think this is expensive for only 3 1/2 hours of experience, but many reviewers seemed to spend more time fighting crowds than enjoying God's wonderous creation. I feel the wonder, education and great time wtih my son was worth it.

2 Thank familyhavingfun
Jersey City, NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good, but hard to get into”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We parked in the lot attached to the Aquarium, which to our surprise is a long walk to the entrance. The lines for buying tickets were confusing, we were ushered from one line to another, then passed a security check and after all that nothing pointed to where the entrance was. Once we finally found our way in we were greeted by a very helpful guide who gave us a good overview of the Aquarium. Most of the exhibits were very interesting. We loved the shark tank and the coral reef exhibit. The volunteers/employees who provided information at the various tanks were very knowledgeable and really added to the exhibits.

1 Thank CMMCD
Nashville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Compared to the reviews and hype, the Georgia Aquarium was a huge disappointment. We have visited the aquarium in Chattanooga several times and have enjoyed each vist. Comparing the two sites-the GA Aquarium is too expensive (nearly $100 for 2 adults and one child), parking is ridiculous (we walked a very long way past several private lots which were closer and cheaper), the design is terrible (the mole hole setup is ridiculous) - you have to go in and out of each area there is no natural route. We went after 3:00, the lines were none at all so that wasn't bad. However, the security check was a bit scary and overboard. You felt like you were going into a federal agency instead of a family entertainment situation. The crowds were not bad but the marketing ploy to get you to the food court was too obvious. I'm glad we ate before we arrived. In summary, spend your money and your time in Chattanooga. It's nicer, better flow and I think more areas to visit.

4 Thank NashFam