“The only thing I loved about the hotel was the BED!”

Glenn Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #52 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
“The only thing I loved about the hotel was the BED!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

When I first went to this hotel, I set in the car while my husband checked in. He came back with a worried look on his face. He quickly informed me that I wasn't going to like the room. I went to the room and my mouth dropped! The room was pass small!! There is no privacy in the bathroom... When you take a shower, everyone in the room can see you. We had to close the shower curtains to use the bathroom inorder to have some privacy. I was very unhappy! The bed sleeps very well! That was the best thing! Customer service was awesome. Hotel overall was dirty! I would not recommend to anyone...

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Foodloverr07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

As a Marriott Platinum “frequent sleeper” with over 200 nights in hotels this year already – I was beyond pleased with my experience at “The Glenn”. Managed tickets to Monday Night Football Denver Broncos and Atlanta Falcons. Very hyped game which made for an exciting downtown. I wanted to be able to park the car and walk to the dome and feel comfortable walking back to the hotel at 1 am. I searched this site and read some reviews and decided this hotel was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something comfortable, clean, quiet, with food and drink. It was 1 night so I just needed the basics but I did not want a basic hotel. My expectations were met and exceeded at every turn. Valet – prompt, quick and welcoming. Doorman, available but not pushy. Smallest front desk for checking I have ever seen – but it’s functional. Hint # 1, space is at a premium as the location is prime. Front desk personnel – outstanding. Quick, professional and fun. At check-in they offered me a tequila something drink – which tasted great with it’s fresh mint – clearly hand made. Lobby bar is inviting and the drinks are excellent. Food and service were fantastic. Blackened Salmon Tacos – yum! Loved the historical brick structure combined with the new renovations. Hallways are “dim” – so let’s go with ambience. Rooms are very functional. Entrance way led straight into bath which included shower and tub and had ample size. I’ve been in smaller where you have to turn side ways to shut the door! Large counter top which ran the length of the room providing a work space, with a desk chair and an ottoman. Beds and pillows are super comfy. Noise levels – were consistent with being in a hotel room in a major city. Yes you could hear the traffic – room was on the 5th floor – but there were 70,000 spectators leaving a major sporting event. The only other traffic noise I heard was an occasional siren which again is to be expected. Overall I slept extremely soundly. Breakfast was good. Checkout was fast and efficient. Doorman and valet top notch. First time I stayed here – won’t be my last. Already made two additional reservations. It’s a boutique hotel (their term) so it’s not for everyone – but it is most certainly for me. It’s not the Ritz … nor is it trying to be. It’s found it’s personality and it has a wonderful vibe, feel and the energy is even paced. Didn’t make it to the roof top bar – but will next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MargaretL750
McDonough, GA
Reviewed September 13, 2012

After being invited to the Rooftop Sky lounge I decided to make an evening of it and stay at the Glen. Because I'm not a fan of cramped spaces I reserved a suite. To my dismay the rooms could be described as average at best. Even in a corner suite the rooms were small. I can not imagine what the standard room looks like. The big plus to this hotel is the location - next door to CNN center, Philips arena and GA dome. Also the customer service from the valet and customer service were also outstanding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in September 2012.

On a positive note, the staff were friendly and helpful, it was really great value and the bed was comfy and I slept well.

Less good: the room was seriously small; there was no bath; somehow (and it may just be the lighting which is pretty dim) it just felt that the whole hotel could have been a bit cleaner; perhaps just bad luck on the day, but it took an age to get a taxi the morning I left - they don’t have the volume to attract cars as a matter of course. The hotel is also just a couple of blocks off the main thoroughfare - and I would have felt uncomfortable walking alone at night in the immediate environment.

So - adequate for a business trip but probably not one I will rush back to next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Overnight trip to Atlanta for work. Picked The Glenn because I am a Marriott member. Turned out to be a great choice. The hotel is funky & quirky, but the service and location are top notch. Nicely located near CNN and Centennial Park.

My room looked toward the rest of the buildings. Not a great view, but still high enough up to see all the people moving around.

The room had a good style to it. Very modern and comfy.

Would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Moore, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and our 8 year old Pug "Savannah" stayed here during Dragoncon 2012. Upon arrival the staff was extremely nice and offered us a free mixed drink. The room was small but very clean and modern. The view of the Atlanta skyline from our 10th floor room was breathtaking. We could see Centennial Olympic Park, CNN, Westin, Peachtree Center, etc. It was awesome! The breakfast in the restaurant was excellent, and I was very impressed with the room cleaning services. They were very accommodating with us having a small dog in the room (cleaning around our schedule, etc.). At one point I was sitting in the lobby with my dog and one of the hotel staff came up and address her by name "hello Savannah". This completely caught me off guard and just made my trip. I had filled out a form during check-in about my pet and I guess the staff members had reviewed it and remembered her name. Anyway, it was priceless. The only negative thing about the stay was the loud music being played from the roof-top bar at night, but it was usually over by 1am. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at this property each week for nearly 8 months while working in Atlanta. 95% of my stays were weekday experiences. Although there were some things I would improve, the beds and bedding were BY FAR the most comfortable of all of the Atlanta Marriott properties I have stayed in. They have pillowtop extra deep mattresses, quilted comforters, and high thread-count sheets that were always crisp, clean, and soft. I prefer a feather free room (I recommend calling before arrival to verify feather free) and found my bedding to be just as comfortable as the regular feather offerings. The second thing that is worth specifically mentioning is how friendly the staff are. By the second week, staff were greeting me by name and welcoming me "home" after work. I could always count on having my needs met if I asked. As a "regular", they always made sure I had a microwave in my room when I got there as well as any luggage I left in storage over the weekend.
In addition to the most comfortable night’s sleep, there are other amenities to this property. The hotel is in a great downtown location. It is across the street from Phillips Arena and Centennial Park. You can easily walk to The Georgia Aquarium, the MARTA, the World of Coca-Cola and other downtown locations. The hotel is secure. You must use your room card on the elevator to get to any floor, to get into the workout room and business center. There is a rooftop lounge with a DJ with a beautiful view of the city. Although I only walked up a couple of times and it was not busy during the week, I understand that it is a nice night spot on the weekend. There is a business center with ample equipment and supplies. There is a "living room" rather than a lobby with beautiful decor, ample comfortable seating, a bar, and free coffee. They also allow pets for a fee. There is a small, secured work out room on the lowest level that has the basics. Hand weights, a bench, weight balls, an elliptical, a bike, and a couple of treadmills. If that is not sufficient, they have a partnership with the CNN center gym which is a bit pricey but very close.
There are some things I hope improve. There is a restaurant offering room service onsite. Having eaten at the restaurant plenty under the current chef as well as the last one (changed this spring), the food is expensive and somewhat average. There are issues with food being cooked properly or over salted/sauced and the selection is very limited. There were also issues with cleanliness at times. There were times when I would arrive and there was dust collected on blinds, on pennant lamp cords, and on baseboards around the room. There was also mildew in the shower stall/tiles at times. Although I had these concerns at times, the staff were more than willing to address them and credit me points for my inconvenience when applicable. Parking in downtown Atlanta is expensive in general, and the valet parking (no self-parking) here is no exception.
Although it is not within the control of the hotel, please be aware that the noise from the area is pretty loud. I frequently heard fire engines at all hours and the downtown events at the arena and at the park cause plenty of pedestrian and foot traffic.
All things considered, I would stay here again if in the Atlanta area.

Room Tip: Most rooms are not very big. As for a 09 or 10 room which are suites. Make sure you ask about the...