“Value?”

Ranked #53 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Spring Grove
“Value?”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

What do you do with an old building with limited space? Hampton gave it a go, but fell a wee bit short. The rooms have a NYC feel (small). They have the Hampton quality, the lobby, Glenn kitchen, staff all first rate. For the price, it fell short of expectations.

Room Tip: Go to the upper tiers facing the park.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
Clifton, NJ
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My reservation was screwed up big time - Terrence @ the front desk helped me out with this. The restaurant, Glenn's Kitchen, was excellent and I loved the staff. The fitness center was a small room down in the basement and nothing to brag about. I did not feel comfortable by myself. I went to the Skytop Lounge during the day to see the view and the seat cushions were filthy, the entrance floor was dirty. Best to go at night & the view is awesome. The beds and pillows were so comfy but the traffic kept me up. The blowdryer is low voltage, might want to bring your own if you are used to a better blowdryer. Coffee makers and mini fridges in the room which is nice. The shampoo, conditioner & body lotion are H2O Spa which was really a surprisingly nice touch!

I would not walk around that area at night. Lots of homeless people hanging out on Marietta NW St. From hotel, you can walk to the Aquarium & CNN building if are a walker - take you about 15 minutes. The "hot spot" area is by the Westin Hotel. There isn't really much to do around this hotel and most cab drivers will charge about $15 to take you somewhere. I didn't want to use the Marta bus system as I was afraid of being mugged.

I think it was a decent hotel but a bit overpriced. I have to say that the staff will give you the shirt off their back to make you comfortable. Very nice staff .

Room Tip: Room along Marietta St., are loud with traffic, music. I woke up 5am every morning due to the noise...
2 Thank JazzingJersey
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed there 4 nights for downtown business reasons. Staff were all very gracious and attentive. Definitely a boutique hotel aiming for young urban clientele. Has rooftop bar with great view of Centennial Park and downtown area. As mentioned in other reviews, the halls are dimly lit (it does have the benefit of somewhat muting the artificial grass bordering the hallway walls). I was on 7th floor and street noise was noticeable. Room was clean and relatively well maintained. Bed was very comfortable. Shower only with plexiglass wall in common with sleeping area. Other reviews have mentioned issue with water temperature. I had none. Minimal closet space (30" W) not a problem for my stay, but might be for couple staying for extended time. Free wireless internet.

Room Tip: If light sleeper, ask for room on 6th or 7th floor. Rooftop bar can be heard from floors 9-11 and s...
1 Thank John W
Stockholm
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel is a great choice for anyone wanting to stay in downtown Atlanta. It also has a hot spot for all party lovers in town: Roof top bar! Despite the fact that we happened to stay there in one of the nights which must have been one of the slower ones (middle of the week) for a long time the service was as great as usual and DJ played cool chill out music! It is not often you find a design hotel with fantastic service located in such an adress. Can really suggest this for everyone!

Room Tip: As high as possible as the street can be busy in the morning...no surprise as the location is so cen...
1 Thank THilli
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Location: DH and I chose this hotel based on its proximity to everything. The hotel was steps from the CNN center, great restaurants and Peachtree. We could walk to any location in a short time, in fact we really regretted renting a car.

Arrival: Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by attentive valets. While this was great, it points out an interesting tidbit about this hotel.... parking is a little lacking in the area. Expect to pay to park in the parking lot. Otherwise, you will probably end up using the valet out of convenience (like we did). The hotel lobby is beautiful, the host were friendly offering us a "libation" upon arrival. We never were able to eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar but there were plenty of people who seemed to enjoy those offerings.

Room: Our view of the city was beautiful! The shower was heavenly. Downfall -- the room was really small and there were not enough outlets next to the bed (nowadays most plugs are located on the lamp for convenience). I suggest bringing along an extension cord.

Overall, our experience was great. We would come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

If you want a quiet weekend getaway to relax this is not the place for you. If you want a hotel with a happening bar scene and blaring music past midnight then this is your place. I was here for a one night stay on a Saturday so I would hope that a weekday stay might be more quiet. I had read the reviews before selecting this location, but I chose it primarily for the cost. It was $98 per night and even with the $26 valet parking, the total cost was less expensive than the cost at the hotel where I had an event to attend on Saturday. I was expecting the parking lot to be difficult to find so thanks to previous reviewers who described the entrance I had no problems. The exterior area from the valet stand looks a bit rundown. There apparently was a water fountain there at one time, but the red tile is chipped and it just looked sad and abandoned. Maybe they don;t crank it up until after Easter, but the entrance wasn't so cool. The lobby area is. Nice natural elements like stone and wood and leather. There is exposed brick and concrete pillars wrapped in leather. The bannister of the stairs is leather wrapped. It has nice, rich feel to it. I arrived around 3:30 and was greeted warmly by the staff. They offered me both points and an amenity which was a nice touch, I attempted to upgrade my room to a King, but was unable to do so. I was given free breakfast coupons since I am a platinum Marriott member and they have no concierge lounge. This property is part of Marriott's Autograph collection--boutique hotels. This place sort of reminded me of some of the Kimpton brands, but no animal print bathrobe here! There are steps to the place where you board the elevator but the staff quickly offfered help with my rolling bag. The rooftop bar did not open until 6 and the event I was in town to attend also began at 6. I went straight to my room in the elevator which has walls made of carved wood painted bright red. I was a bit surprised by how dingy the hall felt when I stepped off the elevator at the 9th floor. Partly I think this is due to the dim lighting, but the walls and carpet look tired. They have these small planters of plastic green grass along the baseboards of the hallway. In a few places the grass had been pulled up or was pushed over--it just looked like cheap plastic grass. The rooms are very small--reminds me of Manhattan hotels. My room was on the 9th floor on the back of the building so I had a lovely view of a concrete parking deck, more concrete highway, and a partial view of CNN Center. I made photos of the view and the room and hope to attach them. I sometime have difficulty uploading photos to this site. The room had a robe, an ice bucket, shaker and two martini glasses, a coffeemaker and a fridge. There was coffee and only two bags of black tea. I was a bit disappointed in the tea as I had hoped to make a cup upon getting to the room. There is a three-drawer burea and desk combo attached to one wall that is across from the bed. The flat screen TV and a large mirror are on the wall above it. The window wall has two large windows covered in orange Roman shades and then this orange gauzy shimmery sheer curtain. Two small "boxes" are attached to either side of the wall against where the leather headboard was attached. One held a phone and the other an alarm clock with ipod dock. There was barely room to walk down the side of the bed. There was one chair in the room so basically one person would have to sit on the bed if a couple were in this room. There is a glass window on the interior wall between the bed and bathroom that is open to the shower. The window has a "curtain" of metal chains hanging from a track in front of it. The chains are like the ones you might see with a dogtag. Depending on the light and the time of day you really can't see into the bathroom, but at other times especially when the bathroom light is on you can see right into the shower and into the room. If you close the shower curtain a person on the toilet would have some privacy but that would be the only way and certainly there would be no way for the person in the shower to have privacy. The bathroom was tiny. The shower is tile with a large rain shower head and a handheld, both with good pressure and temperature. The shower is curved with a shallow ledge so you must be very careful with the curtain or you will flood the bathroom floor. The toilet is a corner toilet angled into the room from the corner and the vanity has one sink and very little space. I think it would be difficult for two people to put their toiletries on the sink. There is a space on the back of the toilet and a small ledge where one could store other things. The shower does have a place for soap and shampoo and a nice ledge that a woman could use for shaving. My problem with the hotel came when I returned from my event around 10 p.m. As soon as I exited the cab I could hear the noise from the rooftop and when I entered the hotel the lobby was jam-packed with young people. I had envisioned returning from the event, going up to the rooftop and having an after dinner drink and seeing the city skyline, but after making my way through the crowded lobby I decided to go up to my room and change. I could not believe how loud the music was in my room. The music was a repeating beat, sometimes with electronic sounds and sometimes rap. Based on the noise and the crowd in the lobby I decided the rooftop was not the place for unwinding so I dressed for bed. The music continued after midnight, but I do not know what time it stopped. A train woke me up in the night with a loud horn/bell and the light came around the Roman shades in the early hours. I ended up sleeping later than I normally do, or perhaps I should say I stayed in bed longer than I normally do. It was not a restful sleep. I went down to breakfast and the waitress said that there was an $8 limit on the coupon. I was able to have scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast with coffee for that amount, but I found that a bit amusing as I have had Marriott properties tell me that my coupon is only good for trhe buffet, but have noy been given a dollar limit before. I suppose that since they do not have a buffet that this is how they control costs. I think the most expensive thing may have been a $12 omelette. Hotcakes weer $9. The coffee was a bit bitter, but otherwise I enjoyed breakfast. I sat at a table near the window and the dining area is quite attractive. It is called Glenn's Kitchen and the room service menu in the room listed an interesting assortment of food that could be ordered. I only had breakfast there. I checked out without any problem and the staff helped get my bags to the valet stand. My car was delivered promptly. One thing I liked about the property even though I did not take much advantage of it is that they have pay-per-view movies and all of the HBO premium channels--signature, family, etc. So many places simply have the one channel. I did not see any children or young families in the hotel. Most of the guests were young--some couples, some solo--on the night I was there and among the people I encountered. Due to the noise I can't imagine staying here with young kids. If I were looking for a place close to the World Congress Center, Aquarium or the Arena I might stay here again if no room was available at the Omni. I am a loyal Marriott consumer, so prefer Marriott properties, but I doubt I will ever stay here again. I stay over in Atlanta often but rarely ever do I need to be in this area of town and based on this one stay if I had to be in this area I would likely stay somewhere else and take a cab or drive to this area rather than stay at the Glenn.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a view and might try floors in the 4-7 range to lessen the noise of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BeingGreen
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The Glenn Hotel is in a great location for downtown Atlanta, within walking distance to the Philips Arena, Olympic Park, CNN Center, Georgia Aquarium as well as several restaurants (avoid Legal Seafood bad experience there !) they also have a wonderful little bistro in the hotel itself that served very tasty food and a cool roof top bar that has an awesome view of downtown Atlanta (Garland is a entertaining bartender)... Unfortunately with the great location comes the loud and obnoxious sounds of the inner city... a couple of times during the wee hours of the night I was awakened by blaring sirens from police cars and fire trucks that seemed to be right outside the window (my room was next to the street, but there may be rooms that aren't). The staff was great ! Everyone I spoke to had a great attitude... so I would recommend it just maybe bring a noise machine to drown out the street noise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family