“The best bar food ever! A great place to hang out”
Review of The Highlander

The Highlander
Ranked #922 of 4,030 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went to the Highlander because I saw it on Food Network. So we decided we would try it when we came to Atlanta, it was a great decision. The staff was very friendly and kept the drinks coming. We ordered the cheese sticks and jerk chili. It was to die for!!! I don’t like cheese sticks but these were the best ones I have ever ate. I would make another trip down to Atlanta just to get them again. Yes they were that GOOD! The chili was excellent also. I do not like hot stuff but it had the best flavor I could not stop eating it even though my mouth was on fire every bite!! The price was right also. We ordered to appetizers, a pitcher of beer, 3 bottles of beer, a mixed drink and a glass of special beer and the bill was only $39.00. This was a great place to hang out and not spend too much money. We played pool, air hockey and Pac Man it was fun.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

The food tasted great, and the service was awesome. It was pretty a slow night, but there was a festival going on down the street. Atmosphere is awesome and they play good music. I'll be back.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We ate at The Highlander before taking in a movie at the Landmark Art Cinema next door. We'd walked by the place several times before on the way to see a film, and had decided it was really a place for young people to drink, so we hadn't been tempted. We just stopped to look at the menu and decided that we had to try it.

We were pleasantly surprised. It is true, of course, that we arrived about 6, which is early for the younger crowd, but the outdoor tables were filling up rapidly people of all ages.

The place calls it "gastropunk" which is a pretty good description of some interesting food. The menu is standard bar food with some interesting twists, and the specials are very interesting. Along with the burgers and nachos there are good soups and salads and some inventive dishes. No point in going into detail on the menu, but we tried the "Pasta-rella Sticks.." Mozzarella wrapped in thin pasta and deep fried..served with a marinara that was actually delicious. I had the Southern Slam Burger..topped with pimento cheese and cole slaw. Outstanding...good fries too. My wife had a big salad with fried chicken in it...delicious. You just have to go to look at the menu and if you aren't starved immediately, then the place is not for you.

I should add that the drinks and beers are fine, and the prices are very reasonable. This is a great spot with outstanding service in our experience.

As I've said before, if you're after fine dining in an elegant setting, this isn't the place. If you love good and interesting bar food in a casual indoor/outdoor setting, you'll love this place. If you also love loud punk rock, then come a bit later. The outdoor seating was comfortable and quiet..at least in March. In August..well...probably not so much.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Pitcher of tater tots. Nothing else needs to be said.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I've wanted to visit this place ever since I saw it on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. The Shephard's Pie stuck in my brain (as did the Jamaican Jerk Chili). So while we were in town recently we made our way there. First off it's a bit out of the way. Our GPS kept saying it was "right there!" but we couldn't find it, it turns out it's actually tucked into a strip center behind another strip center. I had pretty well already settled on the Shephard's Pie before I even looked at the menu and my hubby opted for the Blackened Burger with a cup of the Jamaican Jerk Chili. Tasting his chili I was glad I hadn't ordered it. IT WAS HOT and that was the predominant flavor. That said, I like my food hot, but this was too hot for me (which is saying a LOT).

My plate came out looking awesome, as did my side salad served with their house vinagrette. The salad was excellent. The Shephard's Pie was ...different. I can only describe it as a meatloaf with mixed veggies baked into it, topped with a thin layer of mashed potatoes. All of this was floating in a bowl of mushroom gravy. The gravy had a bit of a sweet flavor and the loaf was rather heavy. I will mark this off my list of places as "been there done that" but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again.

1  Thank drunkitty2000