“Good food & good beer”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The food tasted great, and the service was awesome. It was pretty a slow night, but there was a festival going on down the street. Atmosphere is awesome and they play good music. I'll be back.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We ate at The Highlander before taking in a movie at the Landmark Art Cinema next door. We'd walked by the place several times before on the way to see a film, and had decided it was really a place for young people to drink, so we hadn't been tempted. We just stopped to look at the menu and decided that we had to try it.

We were pleasantly surprised. It is true, of course, that we arrived about 6, which is early for the younger crowd, but the outdoor tables were filling up rapidly people of all ages.

The place calls it "gastropunk" which is a pretty good description of some interesting food. The menu is standard bar food with some interesting twists, and the specials are very interesting. Along with the burgers and nachos there are good soups and salads and some inventive dishes. No point in going into detail on the menu, but we tried the "Pasta-rella Sticks.." Mozzarella wrapped in thin pasta and deep fried..served with a marinara that was actually delicious. I had the Southern Slam Burger..topped with pimento cheese and cole slaw. Outstanding...good fries too. My wife had a big salad with fried chicken in it...delicious. You just have to go to look at the menu and if you aren't starved immediately, then the place is not for you.

I should add that the drinks and beers are fine, and the prices are very reasonable. This is a great spot with outstanding service in our experience.

As I've said before, if you're after fine dining in an elegant setting, this isn't the place. If you love good and interesting bar food in a casual indoor/outdoor setting, you'll love this place. If you also love loud punk rock, then come a bit later. The outdoor seating was comfortable and quiet..at least in March. In August..well...probably not so much.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Pitcher of tater tots. Nothing else needs to be said.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I've wanted to visit this place ever since I saw it on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. The Shephard's Pie stuck in my brain (as did the Jamaican Jerk Chili). So while we were in town recently we made our way there. First off it's a bit out of the way. Our GPS kept saying it was "right there!" but we couldn't find it, it turns out it's actually tucked into a strip center behind another strip center. I had pretty well already settled on the Shephard's Pie before I even looked at the menu and my hubby opted for the Blackened Burger with a cup of the Jamaican Jerk Chili. Tasting his chili I was glad I hadn't ordered it. IT WAS HOT and that was the predominant flavor. That said, I like my food hot, but this was too hot for me (which is saying a LOT).

My plate came out looking awesome, as did my side salad served with their house vinagrette. The salad was excellent. The Shephard's Pie was ...different. I can only describe it as a meatloaf with mixed veggies baked into it, topped with a thin layer of mashed potatoes. All of this was floating in a bowl of mushroom gravy. The gravy had a bit of a sweet flavor and the loaf was rather heavy. I will mark this off my list of places as "been there done that" but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again.

1  Thank drunkitty2000
Reviewed October 31, 2011

OMG, the burger is amazing! And for some reason the soft bun was just over the top. I had the jerk burger with was not too spicy, but flavorful. I opted for the coleslaw to keep it healthy and I would have to say it was just OK, a little bland. But the burger makes up for it because it was killer. And the beer selection was excellent. I am trying to figure out how I can visit Atlanta again from Los Angeles just to get another burger fix. One down side is that apparently you can smoke in bars there (this is a bar and restaurant). OF course, in LA we are not used to that and it was a little bothersome for me to have the smoky environment, but it was not a busy time, so not too bad. Darby waited on us and was very attentive and friendly.