“Second Review, Worse Than The First”

Rose and Crown Tavern
Ranked #372 of 3,988 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I must be eating at a different place than these other reviewers, because I can't fathom why The Rose and Crown gets so many 4 and 5 star reviews. This place is not far from me, I have been on numerous occasions, and I can safely say that I have never left this place with a, "Wow, that was great," feeling. As I said in my previous review, their prices range from "That's expensive," to "Are they really charging $19 for a sausage and mashed potatoes???" They have so much going on each night you never know what you're going to get when you go. They are anything but a sports bar (rarely any sounds from games and usually too noisy to enjoy anyway); they have bands, karaoke, trivia, and special events but rarely just a time to go to hang with friends and enjoy a pint or two; and their service sucks, to put it bluntly. Their specials are not really specials...they are the normal prices other places charge for the same items. This includes their drink specials ($4 pints on Tuesday...for beers you can get for $4 any night at Jocks and Jills!). Don't order pitchers of beer either, as you'll actually pay more for the beer you get than ordering single pints.

Here's my latest case-in-point to the above. My wife and I went tonight for dinner at 7 on a Sunday. Place was relatively empty. They had Olympic trials on, a baseball game, and...CNN. No TV sound at all. I was hungry, so while my wife decided, I ordered a Sam Summer (exactly what I said) and a bowl of french onion soup. When I ordered the beer, the waitress repeated, "A Somersault (New Belgium summer beer)." I said, "No, Sam Summer." One guess which beer she brought me (Somersault if you want to know). Then, the soup comes out. It had a partially melted slice of Swiss cheese on top (never seen swiss on French Onion soup), and a round of untoasted white bread as the 'crouton.' Also, I noticed the 'bowl' looked like a cup, so I asked to make sure it was a bowl, as I had ordered. She responded, "No, that's a bowl. The size isn't much different than a cup." OK, fine, whatever, at least it tasted good. Wait a second, it didn't. Worst french onion soup I've had at a restaurant.

We were ready to order, but my wife was told if she wanted the daily veggie with her meatless burger, she'd have to pay $2.00 more (yeah, that much) to substitute for french fries of some variation. That's crazy. It was most annoying because the menu doesn't tell you what you get with a burger, or that there is a substitution charge for other items. It simply lists the sides and let's you assume you can choose at least one (maybe two, as some other places offer) with a meal. But no, just one side and only in the form of french fries is included with your meal.

We finally order the meal. My wife gets a side salad and a CUP of chili. The chili arrives...in the same exact container as my 'bowl' of soup. And you guessed it, I get charged a buck more for my soup. No worries though, I just shaved it off the tip I left. My wife said her food wasn't bad (the salad was the best part, even though the 'vinaigrette' dressing was a cream dressing). The chili was OK. Also to note, my wife ordered each item separately....and saved .10 over the price of their soup and salad combo. Nice special, huh?

For my meal, I ordered the Southwestern burger with french fries. $10 for an overcooked burger (ordered medium, definitely came out medium well) and a pile of salty freezer fries. Awesome. Could have gotten a meal twice as good at Ruby Tuesday for that price.

I don't know if I just have bad luck here (hard to believe after 15+ visits of mediocrity), or if everyone else just looses vision of what's good after 3 drinks. I think its mostly because I was spoiled with true pubs and neighborhood bars up in Boston. I just don't think people in Atlanta know what makes a good neighborhood pub (its not expensive food/drinks and karaoke). A bar with ADD is not my definition of a fun place to hang out with friends. And I'm afraid that's what R&C is.

There are newer reviews for Rose and Crown Tavern

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've eatan here twice now and both times have been very good. Prompt and courteous waiters, excellent food, and good atmosphere. Expect $15-25 per person for dinner; plus alcohol and deserts. The shrimp and grits is excellent. I ordered the salmon with mashed sweet potatoes instead of garlic potatoes and it was excellent.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Excellent food and service! Outdoor seating, plenty of tv's for sports and just an all around great place to eat/hangout!! The wedge salads, burgers, wings, quesadillas were delicious. That's all I ate so I comment on any of the higher end dishes but I'd guess they would be just as good. I will definitely be back when I'm in Hotlanta!!!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

While on work in Atlanta, we ate there on a busy Friday night. Our group of ten sat on the patio and was immediately seated. The service this night 3/9 was excellent. The bone in ribeye was tasty and huge. We enjoyed it so much a couple of us went back the last night of our stay 3/23. We sat on the patio again and the service was slow this time. The food was still good.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have enjoyed the Rose & Crown since it opened in August of 2010. My favorites are the BLT, all the entree salads and the soups. I have had everything on the sandwich menu and never been disappointed. However, last night was the first time to try the entree menu as I mostly go for lunch. The salmon is simply outstanding. Served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Can't wait to have it again.

Service is always very good.

The Rose & Crown has an Atlanta address and is located just OTP off the Windy Hill exit. Easy to get to and plenty of parking.