“Pretty cool venue” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining style: Casual Dining
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pretty cool venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I were on a pub crawl, with just him and myself and we decided to go to an area called the Virginia Highlands. This was the first placed we stopped at. The crowd was very light (Maybe because it was on a Monday night) and it appeared to be the regulars.

We ordered a couple of beers and just chilled out. Although smoking is allowed, the bar didn’t seem to have the after smell of smoke. It looked very clean and had a nice amount of space. The out door seating is very limited but nice to at least have that option and it has a flat screen available as well. It also has an upstairs area with a flat screen but I believe that is only for private parties.

One part of this bar that I was very impressed with, was the live Karaoke band, which was going on down stairs. The actual venue downstairs is called the “10 High Club” which is connected to the Dark Horse. Because of this venue, I believe that it really made this bar, not just a bar. Now, just for the record, I am no where near a heavy metal enthusiast. I usually listen to R&B, Rap, Soft Rock, but I am open to trying other things. I must say, that this was a very good experience. If you have every any your life, every wanted to be apart of a rock band, there is your chance. If you enjoy doing Karaoke, there is your chance. Just imagine having a live rock band back you up and to top it off, the lead singer of that band is helping you out as well. So if you are bombing, no one would know it, because of all the back up help you got going on. I had a chance to talk with some of the people whom actually did it and they gave me a little advice for the next time (so I wouldn’t be such a scary cat). They said look at some of the songs, pic one, practice it at home, come back and have fun with it. Everyone that got on stage truly looked like they enjoyed themselves. I think that it usually cost money to get into the 10 High Club, however, that night it didn’t. Also, I think the first song you do is free but you have to pay after that. Please keep in mind that although the band has over 100 songs to choose from, they don’t have every song, so you would have to pick from their list (which is a good list).

Anyway, I didn’t taste the food at Dark Tavern but I got a couple of Blue Moon’s, which was about $9 total. AT the 10 High Club, I thought that the drinks were a little pricey. I got a shot of tequila (which came in a mouth wash cup) and it was $5.75. The cup was not filled up at all, so that was the last one I got.

Also, the 10 High Club was pretty grungy looking. It was organized and all but you definitely knew you were in a basement. For the ladies, the floor is not carpeted at all (concrete) and all the girls there had on an array of outfits. Sundress, jeans, shorts, heels, flats, flip flops, whatever, so dress to what makes you feel good. Also, the rest room sucks. They have two stalls. One of them was turned to the side, so it was impossible for you to use. The other one didn’t work at all. So, I would just go upstairs and use Dark Horse’s restroom (which really wasn’t an inconvenience at all).

Anyway, it is a really cool spot and I planned on going again so that I can rock my song.

• Visited July 2012

Suwanee, GA
“One of my favorite places in Va-Hi area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I always pop in here when I visit Virginia-Highlands. I love the big, square bar.

The last few times I have been there, I have noticed that the crowd was younger than I am (mostly in their 20s) but I guess I have been frequenting this bar since I was in my mid-20s also!

The bartenders are usually on top of things here.

• Visited July 2012
Smyrna, Georgia
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Great atmosphere, good hanging out place. The strong smell of smoke threw me off a bit, but hey its a bar! Great beer selection and decently priced.

Visited May 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Been there for drinks and apps. They make a nice black and tan.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

Been there for drinks and apps. They make a nice black and tan.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great place for drinks...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

Great place for drinks...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook