“Great Learning Experience”

Ranked #39 of 289 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The museum features a display on the history of money; interactive, multimedia exhibits explaining the Federal Reserve's role in the economy; and a view of the bank's automated vault and cash processing areas. In addition, most group tours include a stop in the bank's boardroom. A tour of the museum provides in-depth lessons on the role of the Federal Reserve in the U.S. economy. Then, you can take a look inside our cash-processing operations, where millions of dollars are counted, sorted, or shredded daily. You'll also get a glimpse into the bank's automated vault and see the robotic transports that do the heavy lifting.
Tampa
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Great Learning Experience”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This place is easy to find. We parked several blocks away on a side street and walked so we wouldn't have to pay for parking. The museum is full of interesting facts about money. There is a lot of areas that require reading about the bank. It probably wouldn't be interesting at all for younger kids. We spent over an hour there looking at their exhibits. We went on a Friday. It wasn't crowded at all. I nice change from other attractions. This is a place to visit to learn about money and you can't beat the price- FREE!

6 Thank dkkmclark

• Indonesian first
Goshen, IN
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Fun, Interesting and Free!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The Federal Reserve Bank was a highlight of our recent trip to Atlanta. It is a very interesting museum with some interactive exhibits that teach you a lot about the history of money, the Federal Reserve banks and systems, and how money is used in our society today. At the end you can watch part of the actual cash processing area of the bank and see employees sorting, counting, and moving money.

You can't take any pictures inside the building, and have to go through security and show a picture ID and be issued a visitors pass to go through the museum. It is similar to security precautions at other federal buildings.

They have some free small bags of shredded money that you can take home with you, along with a free postcard and some other brochures you can take to read if you are interested. My friends and family got a kick out of the "money" I brought home for them.

The bank is VERY CLOSE (less than a five minute walk) to the Midtown station of the MARTA train station, and I saw very little public parking. It is right across the street from the Margaret Mitchell house, which we didn't go to.

FREE and highly recommended.

3 Thank notdenise
Minnesota
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem in Atlanta”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I was killing some time while waiting for a tour at the Margaret Mitchell House and heard there was a money museum at the Federal Reserve Bank across the street. Note, you are not supposed to take pictures of the building, the security guard informed me. I went inside and was guided through an airport-like security check, then had to show ID at the front desk and then I was instructed to put my purse (and camera) in a secure locker room.I understand the tight security and was fine with it, and the guards were very friendly. There are several very interesting displays about money. Who knew there was a $100,000 bill? At the end you can watch the cash processing center, where people are counting, sorting, and shredding money.

I wish I could have spent more time at the money museum. I didn't catch the video. What I did see was very interesting. And best of all, the whole thing is free. If you have some spare time while in Atlanta, be sure and check this place out!

8 Thank packhawk