“Go for the banking history& the free shredded money. The kids will love it.”

Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Ranked #39 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The museum features a display on the history of money; interactive, multimedia exhibits explaining the Federal Reserve's role in the economy; and a view of the bank's automated vault and cash processing areas. In addition, most group tours include a stop in the bank's boardroom. A tour of the museum provides in-depth lessons on the role of the Federal Reserve in the U.S. economy. Then, you can take a look inside our cash-processing operations, where millions of dollars are counted, sorted, or shredded daily. You'll also get a glimpse into the bank's automated vault and see the robotic transports that do the heavy lifting.
bluegrass state
183 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“Go for the banking history& the free shredded money. The kids will love it.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

It took about an hour to go through this. It is a working federal reserve so be prepared to show ID & address. You cannot take any bags in, but they do give you a locked to put it in. They do have security you need to pass through also.
Displays of how money started through to the future. You get to see money being processed after it leaves a Walmart in those big trucks . Very interesting !!
Tip: shredded money in a bin in the lobby with free post cards.

Visited April 2013

• Indonesian first
Columbus, Ohio
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Sounded boring but all in family really enjoyed”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I work in banking and was interested in a geeky way to visit. My 13 and 8 year old all enjoyed and found it interesting. Lots of engaging exhibits. They take security seriously - no pictures inside at all. Got to see a lot of money moving around. Worth 90 minutes!

Toronto
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Nice Free place to visit!!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

After clearing security and stowing all of our stuff in complimentary lockers, we did a self guided tour of the reserve. There are only 12 reserves in the country, so it was nice to get to see one of them!

A lot of history about money and the Reserve itself. There were also a lot of interesting artifacts on display. It looked like there was a school group there while we were there and they were walking around filling out a question sheet. I asked a lady whom I thought was in charge if she had any extra copies of the question sheets for my kids to also do, and she was kind enough to give me her answer sheet and also go out of her way to get me a blank copy for them to fill out. No harm learning something while on vacation!

I think there may have also been an upstairs portion, but I had exhausted the kids already with other attractions, so they just wanted to get the free money and go! As we exited and returned our visitor passes the man at the desk told us where to get our free packs of (shredded) money. The kids were so excited, and it was a nice souvenir. It's amazing that most of the places they loved on the trip were the free ones! Could've saved myself a lot of money had I known! lol

Give yourself at least an hour, and be sure to check the hours. I believe its only open M-F from 9-4.

Visited March 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Worth Your Time”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm glad we went here. It was very informative and educational. The self guide tour gives you a pretty good understanding of how our monetary system works. Probably not good for little kids, but young teenagers could learn a lot from the exhibits and it was free.I enjoyed the mix of education and artifacts and the interaction. Comparing counterfeit money to real money was cool too. If you have a couple of hours to spare, go here. It is a Federal building so there is a security screen, and you will have to lock up your bags in the provided lockers.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Travel2011Lover
Conyers, Ga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Actually Very Neat”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Trying to find something 'different' to do in Atlanta with the family can be a challenge. We're tired of the usual tourist attractions so we wanted something different. The tour was about an hour or so and self-guided through interactive displays. Surprisingly my teenagers enjoyed themselves, especially seeing a container with $2.35M right in front of them. The robotic carts moving money around were all named according the the names of the president's on currency. Also got to see a $100,000 bill - first for us! The security staff was really friendly even though we had to go through a metal detector, check in with the front desk and show government ID just to be able to take the tour. Pictures and cameras are not permitted, but they provide free lockers to store our belonging in. Overall, a very pleasant surprise and we all learned something.

Visited February 2013