“Loved it!”

Children's Museum of Atlanta
Ranked #46 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Children’s Museum of Atlanta is a place where children can interact with everything on the Museum floor with the goal of sparking imagination and inspiring discovery and learning through the power of play.
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
171 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We went with my two 4 year old twin boys this Spring to this museum. I loved how the museum is kinda in a warehouse format so that it is very open and you feel like no matter where your kids are they are still within sight. That is nice. My boys loved the train tables and that you could go inside the middle of the train tables to play with them. We also loved the water play area, the tree house, the model clay area. The main attractions for us was the grocery store part where kids can ring up groceries, go grocery shopping with their own little carts and load the boxes and groceries onto a truck. They played with this for HOURS! They also loved the simple machine area.

I appreciate that this museum allows outside food to be brought it and provides picnic tables. That helps save money and it easy on us since my son has a peanut allergy and finding food for him is hard when we go places. We played here all day and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend this museum to anyone with young kids.

Since it is in downtown Atlanta parking is an issue. We found a fairly cheap parking lot nearby so it was not too bad but take that into consideration. I do have a problem with their policy that adults are not welcome without kids with them. I feel that is discriminatory and fear based. I called them and told them how I felt about it. Not all adults are predators out to get your kids. I enjoyed kids museums before I had kids and I was not a predator. I hate policies like that.

Visited April 2011

• Hebrew first
Brunswick, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great, just don't expect a "museum", it's more of an inside play area”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were a little hesitant about this one after reading some of the reviews, but it was as advertised. Not real sure why the call it a children's museum (or really what that title means, a museum with collections of old children??). It is more of an exploration area for kids. Our son is 2 and he had a ball!. May different things for kids to do that are hands on, and mand different areas to figure out. I would recommend planning to spend about 2-3 hours as, as we did. Much more than that and it will probably become boring. They have a train exhibit there at this time, which is really neat. My son is obsessed with trains, so this was the highlight of the day for him. It is put on by local hobbyists, so it is well taken care of and is a sight to see. I probably wouldn't recommend this for kids over about 8 or so as they may find many of the exhibits a little childish. If you have toddlers though, this is the place to be on a Hotlanta day!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank gunguy05
Binghamton, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Slightly organized chaos, but the children love it!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

At the Children's Museum of Atlanta, the kids can run from almost any exhibit to another one any time they want to. They can visit the exhibits in any order, skipping the ones in which they have no interest and revisiting the ones they like over and over and over again. They can dress up in costumes, deliver play food in a mini grocery cart, paint on a wall, make sand sculptures, build things, watch themselves on television, move plastic balls across the building using a variety of machines, and much more. In all of this, I did not see one disagreement among the children, who mostly did not know each other, about who got to play with what first. Children will probably want to stay here forever. Parents and grandparents probably will want to leave a little earlier than that.

Visited July 2011
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great for a 1 yr old & 6 yr old”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

First, time here. It was great! Crowded and a small area but would recommend doing at least once. 1 yr old lovd the garde. And the 6 yr old loved the train table

Atlanta
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“It's Just OK - Nothing Special”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Went on a weekday morning with my two boys, 9 & 11. I felt like they would definitely be on the top end of the age range for this place, but a very recent article in the local paper regarding a sports exhibit said it was appropriate for up to age 12, so we went.

The place is definitely geared to younger kids, I'd say 7 and younger. It's not very big, not much to do. My two were done in 45-60 minutes.

We had recently been to two other children's museums while on vacation, one in Ft. Lauderdale, and one in Sarasota, both of which kept my kids entertained for at least a couple of hours. Atlanta was definitely #3 in quality and bang for your buck.

Buying tickets was a hassle using their website. It's very wonky, almost broken, and I ended up having to call (a problem unto itself) because I couldn't tell if the sale had gone through. Museum staff expressed awareness of website problems. Ticket price of $12.50 plus tax is very pricey for what they are offering.

Really not worth the effort to go. It's sad because Atlanta really needs a world class children's facility, but this one is not it.

Visited June 2011