“Nice but they nickel-and-dime you to death”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 21, 2006

I stayed at the Intercontinental Buckhead for four days in September. The hotel is very nice, clean and fancy. The staff is very friendly and they want to help you. The guest rooms are the best part - pillow top beds that are like sleeping on a cloud. The bathroom is fabulous with a nice deep tub, marble everywhere, and a nice shower.

However, I was traveling for business. This hotel does not meet the needs of a business traveler. The do not offer free internet -it is $6/ hour to obtain a password and use their high speed internet. I was very disappointed with this.

Also, watch out for the mini bar. If you remove an item to look at it, it will automatically be charged to your room even if you did not consume the item.

This hotel is in a great location very close to the MARTA station. Buckhead is beautiful and it's easy to get downtown too. This is why I would only recommend the hotel for personal travelers who do not need business services such as internet. It might be a bit costly though. Not sure if it is worth the price unless you can get a room for a deeply discounted rate.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Jen1128
Write a ReviewReviews (2,929)

Reviewed September 19, 2006

I stayed here for 5 nights over the Labor Day weekend and had a fantastic experience. The staff at the hotel is top-notch. Check-in was a breeze and there was no mention of Priceline nor do I feel I ended up in a Priceline room. Elevators are speedy and mirrored. The room was immaculate and the bathroom is the best feature (deep soaking tub with aerated faucets). The shower was nice as well, although there was some noticeable damage to the molding outside the shower door. Staff replenished the toiletries daily without my request even if I only used a little bit from the day before. Internet (wireless) is $10.95 here per 24hr use and I was unable to pick up any other signal so factor this in if you plan to use your PC. Pillowtop bedding was luxurious and housekeeping would even put ice in the canister everyday after they finished cleaning! The orchid and chocolate with the turndown service was a nice touch. I slept in late a few days and really appreciated housekeeping calling and asking if I would need service and at what time (kudos to hotel management for this). The room have doorbells, so that is yet another interesting feature. I did not dine, but you can sit outside and watch the traffic (and there is much) creep by on Peachtree. The parking valets will jump to you upon entry (can be a bit much) and are what you would expect at a luxury hotel. The staff would insist upon carrying my bags, no matter how light they were. I will gladly make the IC Buckhead my Atlanta choice hotel even on a non Priceline stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank itsneverserious
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We booked our stay at the Intercontinental through Hotwire months ahead and received a fantastic rate. We received outstanding service from everyone, from the valet/bell staff to the front desk. The hotel is beautiful, located in upscale Buckhead. The bed was very comfortable and the tub in the bathroom was wonderful for long soaks after a day at Turner Field. The room mini-bar and room service prices were comparable to other upscale hotels we have visited. The turn down service with a fresh flower in addition to the obligatory chocolate mint was a lovely touch.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pdcruiser3
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I've just returned from a trip to Atlanta (Friday to Sunday) and stayed at the InterContinental in Buckhead. Let me get right to the BIG mistake I made. I had the car parked by the Valet when I first got there, but made the mistake of going out that night and parking it myself on return. Valet is $24 a day, and if you park it yourself 8hrs or more it's $15. You have to have a math degree to try to come out ahead of the system, so do yourself a favor and Valet everytime you come back to the hotel. For a few more bucks in Buckhead, someone else can park the car.
The hotel itself was nice. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nice tub!
Cute little lounge and fancy place to eat.
The hotel staff was GREAT! Very friendly and helpful.
The pool area... I went to the hot tub around 7pm and there was used towels everywhere and some trash.
Don't think 4 star though. Maybe 3 1/2. All in all though Buckhead is beautiful!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank tbilbrey
Reviewed September 2, 2006

The room I stayed in was absolutely perfect. The bed was literally like falling into a cloud; big, soft, and billowey. The decor was romantic and modern with the walls in the palest peach and the duvet in a simple black and white floral pattern. The bathroom was covered in marble and simple elegance, right down to the fresh orchid which adorned the soaking tub. Such comfortable luxury!

Of course, the customer service is top notch as well!

The only complaint I have is that the restaurant was very overpriced; not just your typical upcharge which is to be expected, but seriously overpriced to the point of feeling ripped off. The food was uneventful and the drinks were ridiculous.

But who cares? :) Dine elsewhere, but hurry back, and enjoy a glass of champagne in that beautiful room!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank denevemarie
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in July 2006. Upon arrival thru departure the bellhop staff, and conceirge staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My room was not ready when I arrived, however I did arrive several hours before check-in. The front desk staff asked for a cell phone number and indicated they would call me when the first room was available. I sort of hung around and made sure I was visible to the front desk so that they would not forget to call me. Within an hour I did receive a call to say my room was ready and that they would send my bags up. I was on the 5th floor, the room was nice, everything was sparkling clean. The soaking tub was "DEEP". I mean I really needed a step stool or something to get in there. I'm not quite sure how folks get in and out of that tub safely, as there is no sort of step or anything. I loved the seperate shower with marble and glass doors. The beds were very soft and poofy. NIce and comfortable and I had very good nights of sleep. Beware of the mini-bar in the room. Yeah it is stocked, but the fridge is rigged with a timer and if you remove anything for longer than 20 seconds, you will get charged for it. The bellman confirmed this when he arrived with my bags. Don't think the maid service paid attention to the "do not disturb" sign some days. There is also an evening turndown service which is kind of nice. I never figured out though why they only turned down 1 bed when the room had double beds?? The free shuttle service is great and the drivers were all friendly. I used the shuttle to take me a few blocks to the Kroger so that I could stockpile my own stash of bottled water, snacks, etc. I had to attend a conference in downtown Atlanta, and the MARTA train station is only a short block away from the hotel. The mall, along with various restaurants were all within the shuttle drivers 2-mile radius. There is an onsite bar and 24-hr restuarant in the lobby, but I did not visit those. The lobby also had live entertainment some nights. My flight did not depart until 8pm, so I asked for a bellman to come up and put my bags in storage, however when I finally went downstairs, I saw that my bags were still on the dolly in the lobby. I immediately told the front desk, and they had it put in storage. Not sure what that confusion was all about. Overall, i enjoyed this hotel. It was a beautiful facility, very clean, and the majority of the staff greeting you with a smile and was helpful. I would recommend this hotel to others.

5  Thank hisinc
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We have stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Buckhead on 2 occasions now (Summer 2006), and it has been perfect both times. The location is great - right on Peachtree in the middle of posh Buckhead. Every single employee we have encountered has been gracious and polite, and the amenities offered are fantastic. The rooms are regular in size, but the scale of the furniture makes them feel a tad small. The big, puffy bed is my favorite, though the views into downtown are a close second (fortunately, you can combine the two with the right room choice - go for a room ending in 21 or 22!).

As you would expect by the chain and location, this is not a bargain hotel. However, they do offer spectacular discount rates if you look for them, particularly military rates. We have been fortunate enough to discover this gem early in our year-long post assignment nearby, and we plan to take advantage of an escape to the big city every chance we can!

4  Thank User626