“Nice, but expecting a little bit more.”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #18 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Intercontinental in the past -- mostly because of location and it allows small dogs...which I did not bring this time. It has a very nice area for the pups to walk and the garden area is a very nice place to lounge outside. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are always clean. However, the 'governors' on the air conditioning need to be taken off! Geez! We are in the south -- we need to be able to set our own temperature in the rooms. I had to call to get this removed -- it can be removed from the computer by calling the front desk. Also, I have never stayed in a room without a "Do Not Disturb" hanger for the door -- you have to request one and they have to come up and bring it to you -- which, is disturbing me. By this point, I'm already irritated with the "extra" stuff that I'm having to take care of just to be comfortable. The night scene at the hotel bar and lobby is pretty lively and entertaining, the appetizers of chicken wings and flatbread pizza were truly awesome! So, I thought the breakfast buffet would be just as pleasing -- it failed terribly!!!! It was $24 per person....my blueberry pancakes were so hard, I could have used it as a disk...there were small sausage and cheese biscuits -- again, when I tried to bite it or cut it, it was so hard that it slipped off the plate. No grits...don't forget -- this is the south. There was bacon and eggs which was fine. No regular toast or biscuits at all...I go back to see if they have made fresh little sausage biscuits and pancakes and they had -- I tried them again, and it was still the same -- as hard as a rock! Basically, I go back and I get a danish to eat with my eggs and bacon. I could not believe I paid that kind of money for bacon and eggs and a store-bought danish. My husband and I were not at all happy with paying for it....we will NEVER eat their breakfast again! Overall, it is a nice place to stay, but there are other hotels in the area that are less expensive and you will get equal or better conditions.

Room Tip: Ask to take the temperature "governor" off the setting as you check in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie H
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Debbie H. First of all, I want to thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts regarding your experience with us. As a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we take all feedback seriously. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com whenever you may have a free moment. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,899)

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I wanted to spend our first night away from our 6 month old daughter in relaxation. We thought the InterContinental was a great spot to enjoy some time together. The check-in experience was great, and we found the staff extremely friendly and accommodating. However, our experience was downhill from there. The shower had almost no water pressure. We're not unreasonable people and we can live with "weak" water pressure. This was almost non existent. It took 5 minutes to rinse my hair. We decided to try a soak in the gorgeous tub. Once we filled it up the drain wouldn't work and we had to keep the water on to keep water in the tub. Not relaxing. Then, at 3:30AM we were awakened by a huge fight in the next room. We called the front desk and asked for help as it was a physical altercation between a man and a women. They continued to shout and fight until 5AM. It was a disappointing experience for our one chance to get away and relax.

Room Tip: Room 813 had almost no water pressure in the shower.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William O
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Greetings, William O. I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. Please know that it is our goal that each and every one of our guests leave us feeling 100% satisfied with their experience. With that said, I would love to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Just checked out after a four day convention and felt good about my stay. The service struck me as better than most hotels. It wasn't until I got home and realized I forgot my IPod in the docking station in my room. I called the hotel thinking it was likely a lost cause. I was connected to Joe in security. I gave him my story and he diligently tracked down the forgotten IPod and shipped FedEx to me. I'm thrilled and very grateful for the effort and service he provided. Its a great example of how this property treats its guests!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank kellis923

It is so humbling to read your oh-so-kind review, Kellis923! I want to thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing and, additionally, for choosing us during your recent visit to Atlanta. Also, thank you for your comments regarding Joe's superior service; I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about Joe as he exemplifies everything that is so wonderful about our top-notch team of professionals here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta. I’m thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience; won’t you come back and see us again soon? Safe travels.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very nice hotel with excellent staff and nice rooms. I enjoyed using the gym which is nice, although it may not be as nice as some other five star hotels. I look forwarding to returning the next time I am in Atlanta

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Sharon K, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Rick L! Thank you for taking a moment to let us know your thoughts about your recent experience with us. I’m thrilled that you had an excellent overall stay and also that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our second floor fitness center. As you mentioned, our gym is fully equipped and offers fantastic views up and down Peachtree Road. Thanks again and I hope that whenever your travels have you return to Atlanta that you'll come back and see us. Safe travels!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

You will be treated like royalty, we got in our room and staff followed us in with a plank of fruit, asked if we needed anything, The view is stunning!!! Their courtyard is like being in someones' personal formal gardens, Food is good in the restaurant, I love their little gift shop and prices are
really quite reasonable. Just had a fabulous time. Within walking distance of lots of great restaurants.Oh, the bathroom is magnificent, marble everywhere. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, shereen_w! Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us; we truly do love receiving feedback of all kinds from our valued guests. I'm so pleased that you had a relaxing time during your stay with us. You bring up a fantastic point regarding our wonderful gift/sundry shop. Located right off of the lobby, our shop features not only all travel essentials but also high-end gifts, souvenirs, and merchandise; all at an affordable price point. Thanks again for your comments. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was there for a convention and it hit me that they had no free internet for guests, even in the lobby... Weird. While siting in the conference room an enormous cockroach walked on the wall. How dirty is this place????

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank partypartyparty

Hello, partypartyparty. First of all, I hope that you enjoyed your conference here in Atlanta. Secondly, I want to thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts regarding your experience with us. As a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we take all feedback seriously. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com whenever you may have a free moment. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Convenient location and excellent, professional staff. Relaxing bar and good restaurant. Very nice spa and exercise. Rooms are comfortable. The only reason it is not excellent is the rooms have a bit of wear.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Sharon K, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you very much for the humbling review, Hoyt13! I must say that your headline, “staff makes the place”, is absolutely correct. Plain and simple, providing superior guest service is our driving factor and is what gets us up in the morning. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your experience, especially Southern Art and SPA InterContinental. Aren’t they both just amazing? In my opinion, an afternoon treatment at SPA InterContinental followed by a relaxing dinner at Southern Art is quite the treat! Thank you again for your comments and we certainly hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!