“Exceptional!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exceptional!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The InterContinental Buckhead in Atlanta is an AMAZING hotel!!! My husband and I stayed there last Saturday for his birthday and I was extremely pleased with the entire experience. I live in Atlanta and wanted to do a mini "staycation" and this was the perfect place! The staff was very helpful and provided assistance with any questions I had. This was a surprise for my husband so I was very happy that everything went so well. I have to say a special thank you to Max at the front desk who made my check-in and check-out processes quick and smooth. I joked with him that he must have slept at the hotel Saturday night since he checked us in on Saturday and out on Sunday.

The room was gorgeous with an incredible view! My husband loves the Atlanta skyline and he couldn't stop staring out of the window. We stayed in room 1621, which is a corner room (LOVED THAT!) and the view was unbelievable. The bathroom is sooooo nice with a gorgeous tub and separate shower. The bed was so comfortable and had a thousand pillows on it! Thanks again to Max, who changed us from a double room to a king room at check-in when I told him I was with my husband, who was downstairs parking our car. The parking is too expensive at $22/day for self parking and the garage is slightly difficult to navigate being that the signs are not posted where they are easy to see. The front drop-off/pick-up area gets congested really quickly due to valet, so my husband had to wait a few minutes after dropping me off before he could get around to the self-parking. Other than that, the stay was awesome even for just one day.

We were right down the street from one of our favorite restaurants where we ate that evening so that was a plus as well. We had a chance to take a look around the hotel and checked out the pool and the fitness center/spa area and they are all really lovely. We didn't use any of the amenities but its nice to know they were available for us had we wanted to do so. I was so pleased with everything, that I told them I would be posting them a nice review, so I hope this is a big help to anyone considering this hotel in their travel plans. I'm not sure if this hotel is truly 5 stars or not but it certainly felt like it to me. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt that is right across the street and this hotel is just as nice. I will definitely return to this location! AMAZING!

Room Tip: 16th floor has an amazing view; 1621 is a corner room facing Peachtree Rd. and downtown and has a hu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for the thoroughly detailed, oh-so-kind review, ImJDesiree! You know, I certainly understand that our guests have the option to stay at other hotels within the area, and for that, I thank you for choosing us! Our goal is not only to provide superior service but also to exceed each and every one of our guests’ expectations; I’m thrilled that we did not disappoint! Additionally, thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff. Being a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we realize that our dedicated staff can truly "make or break" the entire experience. With that said, we have the most wonderful, professional staff around! Thanks again for your review; please come back and see us again soon (or whenever you get the urge for another 'staycation'). Cheers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel was excellent. The service was terrific, the rooms were lovely and I had plenty of counter space in the bathroom which I love. The beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and solicitous. I was at this hotel for a conference and everything was top notch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello and greetings from a warm and sunny Atlanta, MiddyBlue! Thank you very much for taking a moment to let us know how we're doing. We love feedback! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us during your conference--hopefully the conference went just as well! You know, we recently underwent a multi-million dollar refresh of all of our guest rooms, so i'm thrilled that you enjoyed the final product! Thanks again for the review; please come back and see us again soon!
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Valet parking and bellman attendants were waiting for guest arrivals as I pulled up. Entrance into the lobby provides an upscale and modern feeling. Besides having to wait 5 minutes looking at the agent talking on the phone before they checked me in, my IHG status was well recognized and was given an “upgrade” to the Ambassador floor.

Room was exceptionally clean, and well decorated. Bathroom was cleaned spotless and had a large soaking tub with separate shower and toilet room. Huge HD television with all HD channels.

One disappointment was the fact the hotel does not have on demand movies, (because of all HD channels) so I could not use that benefit of the Ambassador program. The coffee pot and coffee in room was quite laughable, Motel 6 type of brewer with cheap coffee packets. I expected a high end Nespresso or Kuerig maker to be provided as is done in all other Intercontinental and many other Crown Plaza hotels in which I have past stays.

We had a short night, so opted for room service. It took 2 return phone calls from the order taker, and 3 repeat visits to our room to get the order correct. The food OK, but very cold by the time everything was correct. Upon check out, the hotel did discount the meal.

Hotel is definitely worth the price, and we will be back.

Would have liked to use more of the hotel services, so we will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello, Acey2000, and thank you so much for the thorough review! Also, thank you very much for being an Ambassador member; we certainly appreciate your loyalty. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and found out staff to be accommodating and our rooms comfortable. After all, at the very minimum, this is what we're here for! I hope that you'll have a little free time next time you visit us--we'd love for you to experience SPA InterContinental and Southern Art/Bourbon Bar! Thanks again for the wonderful review; please come back and let us welcome you again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

For a 5-Star hotel, I was underwhelmed.

My husband and I recently stayed for one evening while celebrating our anniversary. We stayed in a Deluxe, King, Non-Smoking room. We had high expectations, and this hotel fell short of the luxury mark.

Positives:
Convenient location
Luxurious lobby/decor in common areas--traditional (not the right hotel if you want a modern feel)
Comfortable bed

Negatives:
Be aware that you will pay for many of the conveniences that are included in other 5-star hotels. Parking is expensive $22-$32 per day, Internet use is a surcharge, etc.

Mediocre view from our room--be sure to request a street/city view when booking

Poor bellhop service--No one offered to carry our bags to our room. My husband was carrying our two carry-on size bags along with our hanging bag. Not heavy, but clearly awkward. The valet who helped us unload our car did not offer to signal a bellhop and when we checked in at the desk we were just told our room number and directed to the elevators across the large lobby. Of course we could have requested assistance, but there were several bellhops in both the valet area and the lobby who appeared to be available and didn't readily act on the opportunity to provide service.

Room maintenance/quality--The light bulb was out in one of our lamps in the room and there were faint black marks pressed into our white sheets (not terrible but not what you would expect from a hotel supposedly of this caliber). Although the bathrooms are extremely nice, the toilets are VERY loud when they flush (not a huge inconvenience, just an observation, clearly not efficiency models).

Service/concierge--We requested an ice bucket and two champagne glasses to be waiting in our room to chill a bottle we brought along with us from our wedding. They were there, along with a small tray of chocolate covered strawberries (delicious!), but there was also a bottle of Proseco already in the bucket...we stopped the concierge desk on our way to dinner to request an additional bucket because we couldn't fit both bottles, deciding to inquire if the Proseco was complementary and he said he didn't know??? Hmm, awkward moment. We would have appreciated the gesture if it was complementary, but since we aren't big drinkers we didn't want to pay an exorbitant price for something we didn't order. SO, if it was a gesture from the hotel, it was wasted because we opted not to drink it. No real harm done, but any confusion could have been eliminated if the front desk had mentioned/clarified the option of including the wine when we originally called ahead to make the request.

Complementary shuttle--FYI, it stops running at 8pm (at least on Sundays). They dropped us off for our dinner reservations (Prime at Lenox Mall) when the driver apologetically informed us as we were exiting the shuttle that we would have to take a taxi back. Surprise! Ok:( We expressed our concern and asked if he had a card or number for a local taxi service, but he assured us there would be plenty of taxis available when we were finished--pointing out an area of the parking lot where several were parked. We trusted that he was familiar with the area and would want to ensure a smooth experience for patrons of the hotel, so we took his word for it. Umm...no. When we left the restaurant at 9:30 there were no longer any taxis in the parking lot. The restaurant was closed so we couldnt re-enter. We ended up walking (inconvenient in high heels and muggy weather in the dark) to the nearby Westin where they were happy to procur a taxi for us.

This was one of the highest star-rated hotel in the immediate area, which is why we booked it. The rate was discounted, but we would have paid more for a truly luxurious experience.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, BHelmer. First of all, I hope that you and your husband had a wonderful anniversary here in Atlanta! Secondly, I want to thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts regarding your experience with us. As a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we take all feedback seriously. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com whenever you may have a free moment. I look forward to hearing from you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the middle of August during the middle of the week for business. I booked my room through Trip Advisor and got a fantastic special rate. I arrived at the hotel around 1 pm and my room was ready early. Check in was fast and easy. I chose to valet park my car, but the parking attendant was sure to tell me that self parking was around the corner and less expensive if I preferred. I appreciated his honesty. My room was clean and comfortable. Not a great view, but that didn't matter to me as I was there for business. The health club was very nice with good equipment. The health club had ear buds on loan and the health club was included in my stay which I appreciated as well. It makes me crazy when I stay at a hotel and need to pay $20 to use a treadmill for an hour. Overall, the hotel met my expectations and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings, Gilcinc! Thank you so much for submitting a review of your recent stay with us; we truly do love guest feedback of any kind. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and found your stay to be comfortable and accommodating. Additionally, when I hear that we met or exceeded expectations I know that we delivered upon our promise of truly providing an experience worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. I hope that whenever your travels have you return to Atlanta that you'll come back and see us again. We'll have your ear buds and fruit-infused water awaiting in our fitness center! Safe travels.
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was in a King room in the 14th floor. The rooms are clean and bright. No outside noise. High speed lifts. Fair choice of TV channels to relax. Loads of pillows to choose from to suit your specific comfort. Business center was good and quick to print my complimentary boarding pass. One negative was, NO complimentary WiFi, even at the hotel lobby.

During my stay, I did attend a Wedding at the Venetian and Wedding Reception at the Windsor hall. Both were extremely good. The location is also a plus due to its proximity to Georgia Aquarium and other sight seeing places.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jayakumarr
Greetings from Atlanta, Jayakumarr! I'm truly appreciative of your oh-so-kind review of your recent stay with us. I heard that the wedding was simply stunning; please give my best to the newlywed couple! You know, our Windsor and Venetian ballrooms are truly the "crown jewels" of event space in our area. Whether it's a reception, ceremony, or corporate function, we're always thrilled to work with clients to create unforgettable experiences. Thank you so much for your review; come back and see us again soon!
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent the weekend at the InterContinental for a family wedding. It was beautiful, comfortable and everyone was so nice!
We especially liked being able to sit in the spacious lobby with family members- most of whom were staying in other hotels nearby with no place to sit and enjoy company! The room was lovely and the view from the 17th floor of Stone Mountain was great. The hotel work out room and pool were excellent and the location was just perfect- lots of local restaurants and things to do! The climate control was actually quiet and did a great job! We took public transportation back to the airport and it really could not have been easier. I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: We were on the 17th floor which was quiet and had a great view of Stone Mountain.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Well thank you for the "lovely" review, kld1! I'm humbled by how much you enjoyed your experience with us. You know, comments such as yours really do let us know that we're delivering upon our AAA Five Diamond designation obligation. I'm thrilled that our lobby was able to serve as "ground zero" for all of your family members; we want all of our guests to feel as if they are at home, so please sit back, relax and, if desired, have a cocktail or two from Bourbon Bar while catching up on the latest family news. Another wonderful spot to stay a while is our spacious and lush Windsor Garden. With lawn games such as croquet and corn hole, there's truly something for everyone here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta! Thanks again and please come back and see us again soon.