“A very dissatisfied travel agent”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #18 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I flew into Atlanta, checked in late Friday night June 21st excited to see my boyfriend who has been working in Atlanta for the last 4 months. Both exhausted so after dinner we retired for the evening to be awaken wet from sweat. We adjusted thermostat but room never cooled, we called front desk with no answer. The next morning we called front desk to explain our unrestful night and after speaking back and forth with 3 different representatives before finally getting a supervisor who decided to change our room! They upgraded us to an executive suite but the problem was, once we arrived in new room we found at the bar an old cheese and rotten fruit tray with a bottle of wine and personal note addressed to the previous guest! Now I'm livid that this room hasn't been cleaned from previous guest ugh! We went on to breakfast while they prepared room. They gave us a $75 credit really? This was not a great experience and because I am in the travel industry the Intercontinental hotel will not be recommended to my clients.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Travelforever4
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Greetings from Atlanta, Travelforever4. I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,899)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Location, amenities, friendly staff, and well-appointed rooms at the Intercontinental Buckhead always keep us coming back when we visit friends and family in Atlanta. Rooms are a bit small, but the property is very nice. Lobby bar is terrific and easy access to restaurants and nightlife in the area. Highly recommend staying on a club level floor if possible. Breakfast, happy hour and dessert included in the room pricing.

Room Tip: Club level if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric S

Thank you for the review, ESchwef! Furthermore, I want to thank you for being a loyal, repeat guest of ours. I’m thrilled that you take advantage of our wonderful Club Level upgrade option every time you visit; it’s well worth the upgrade! Our 21st floor Club Lounge not only offers unparalleled views but also complimentary cocktails and other beverages, an American-style breakfast, and various snacks throughout the day. Thank you again for being one of our loyal guests – we certainly do appreciate your business. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Nyck, who worked the business/computer center office and front desk, was absolutely phenomenal! I was giving a conference presentation early the next morning. After a long day of travel followed by a workshop, I started to prepare for my presentation only to discover I had forgotten to bring a paper print out. Nyck helped out. But more importantly, I went to work on the paper only to discover that my computer had locked me out of WORD. Nyck took over to see what he could do. After trying unsuccessfully for over an hour, we came up with a solution. The presentation the next day was saved thanks to Nyck. Can't say enough about his professionalism, courtesy, compassion and just being an all-around fantastic bloke.

Nyck rocks!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 16jag

It is so humbling to read your oh-so-kind review, 16jag! I want to thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing and, additionally, for choosing us during your recent visit to Atlanta. Also, thank you for your comments regarding Nyck’s superior service; I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about Nyck as he exemplifies everything that is so wonderful about our top-notch team of professionals here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta. I’m thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience; won’t you come back and see us again soon? Safe travels.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family recently stayed in Atlanta July 4th-11th and I am thrilled that we chose the Intercontinental Buckhead! Outstanding customer service by the friendly and courteous front desk made for a wonderful stay. We were always greeted, BY NAME, every time we passed the desk or had a question. I hesitate to list all the wonderful employees for fear I leave someone out. But Kyle, Nick, Mary Jane, Brian, Sarah and Jenna were really exceptional. They were knowledgeable and friendly at all times. The 2 managers I had the pleasure of meeting, Elena and Keisha, couldn't have been nicer and really made an effort to make sure our stay was pleasurable.
The rooms were spacious and clean. Top notch service from a top notch hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, maddycakes9! I want to thank you for not only taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing but also for the kind words. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed our recently renovated guest rooms. They are indeed spacious and filled with amenities, including our market-leading oversized bathrooms. Complete with separate showers and soaking tubs, our bathrooms are just one of the extraordinary amenities we love offering to our guests. Again, thank you for your review; please do come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Consistency is very important to a business traveler who may frequent a certain city and prefers to return to a property that meets both needs and wants. The Intercontinental Buckhead delivers this level of top notch service. Returning again from last month's stay, we were hospitably greeted by Olga, a professional, yet warm and friendly concierge who was assisting in checking people in so that there was barely a queue. Not only did Olga remember us, but she quickly acknowledged our Ambassador Status and flawlessly delivered the customer service accorded a member of this program. Since air travel is stressful at best, and the traffic coming from the airport was horrendous due to torrential downpours on the way in, how refreshing it was to be welcomed in this manner. Immediately we were put at ease and felt as though we were once again visiting our home away from home. As in this case of many Saturday evenings at this property, there was a gala event that brought a large crowd of guests, not all of whom were staying overnight on property. This was only an issue when we returned later that evening and did not have a parking space for self park. The valet was quick and efficient to take our vehicle and let us know that we would not pay for valet service, and we would be able to pick up our car the next day at our leisure. The car was quickly brought around the following day upon our phone request. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Ambassador status was again acknowledged with a fresh fruit and bottled water amenity. The Club Lounge provided refreshment without having to leave the property or face the downstairs crowd that first evening, with hot and cold appetizers and drinks. The Concierge works hard to keep lounge clean and stocked well. Newspapers, apples and cookies are also available. We had breakfast in the Southern Art restaurant. Healthy choices and combinations were greatly appreciated. Perhaps the kitchen might consider a cold press juicer to provide cold pressed vegetable juices in the future? We enjoyed the Bourbon Bar later in our visit after business was concluded one afternoon. Although it is billed as more of a carnivore's delight, some vegetarian options would be appreciated too. Staff is attentive, friendly and provide outstanding service even though the area is a hotspot. Free wireless in the lobby. The only sad note was an odd comment from the gift shop clerk. Dropped in that first evening and requested a plastic bag to contain an item, and then again the next morning, needed another plastic bag. No, not that we are hoarders, it was simply a case of too much to carry both times and the gift shop was there....The second request was met with this comment: "This is the last bag I can give you". Puzzled, I asked why that was the case. "They are expensive", was the reply. These 10 x 13 thin, cheap plastic bags with handle cut outs? REALLY??!! I told the gift shop attendant that since that was the case, she had better hold on to the one she was going to so reluctantly relinquish. Not sure where that came from....and certainly not in keeping with this wonderful property. The gym and the pool are well maintained and a pleasure to work out in. Close proximity to major highways, shopping and fine restaurants. Without hesitation, I recommend the Intercontinental Buckhead and thank the staff for working so hard to make each guest's visit so enjoyable!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank suze_shoes

Greetings from Atlanta, suze_shoes! I want to thank you for submitting such a thorough, kind review of your recent experience with us. You struck a chord when you mention “we were put at ease and felt as though we were once again visiting our home away from home”. Really and truly, this exemplifies all that we strive for! As a AAA FiveDiamond hotel we take pride in every facet of our guest experience (quality, service, amenity offerings, associate professionalism, etc.), and I’m thrilled that these were apparent during your visit. Thank you again for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing and please come back and let us welcome you “home” again soon! Safe travels.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed her with two small children. Ages 3 and 6 months. Hotel was very accommodating. Staff was terrific. Ate at the hotel bar for lunch. Had crab cake appetizer and my 3 year old ate Mac n Cheese. Both were delicious. Also had a delicious dinner. I recommend dining here. Prices are reasonable. Outdoor pool was very nice. I heard the hot tub was nice as well although i didn't experience it myself. Room was cozy. Bed comfortable. Separate tub and shower. All very nice. Negatives... The breakfast buffet wasn't good. It was a weekday so I'm guessing not very busy which seems to mean for this hotel buffet food sits too long. Although try the yogurt. The chef makes it. Best I've ever had! I recommend skipping buffet and ordering from the menu. It may be different on weekends. Also be aware that there are a lot of shared services. I like to be generous when i tip so thought i brought enough cash. Caught off guard because the guy that took my keys and took out my luggage moved it inside for the Bellhop. I missed that these were two separate people as they seemed to be dressed the same? And then when i checked out the Bellhop came for my luggage than gave it to a different guy who put my luggage in my car than valet gave me keys. Three separate people equals three separate tips. Happy to oblige but miscalculated my cash flow and now needed a ATM for my airport tips.

Room Tip: I had a corner room. Never heard my neighbors. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

You know, happyhappyfamily, your review headline is quite literally the most important thing a hotelier wants to hear: “Great Stay”. As simple as it sounds, this is our goal – for each and every guest to have a great stay. With that said, thank you for your thorough review and for your kind words. It sure sounds like you had the opportunity to really get a feel for all of our offerings, including Southern Art, our restaurant helmed by celebrity chef Art Smith! What a nice treat. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I picked up a room on Priceline's name your own price for the incredible rate of $87 this past weekend for a two-fold purpose: as a stay-cation and to host two family members in the city instead of in the suburbs.

Two minor quibbles: $22 self parking per night and the room with two double beds was exactly that...double and not queen but we made it work. This twelfth floor room had a beautiful view of the Atlanta skyline and my Georgia Tech bound nephew spent most of his in-room time with his chair turned toward the city as though he was contemplating the next four years ahead of him...wish I had captured that picture!

The spacious bathroom with sunken garden tub, marble floors, separate shower with seamless glass door and telephone was a welcome surprise. I think it makes up about a third or the entire space! The linens are made for royalty and it is one of the best night's sleep I've ever had away from home.

The lobby is alive and active on the weekends with live music and the energy is electric! There was a gala the first night so we sat a while and people-watched. It was fun to see the "who's who" and "who wants to be a who" of Atlanta...delightful and comical all at the same time!

THE RESTAURANT DOES PORK WELL!!!!

I'd never heard of a ham bar before but was a wonderful experience. They offer various hams from all across the globe and I look forward to trying additional choices during future visits. We also devoured a beautiful, sweet, succulent pork shank which rests on a bed of scrumptious collard greens. My nephew had it for dinner and I ordered it for lunch on the last day because the one taste of his stayed with my taste buds and called my name each time I looked at the menu.

The beautiful pool was top-notch and complete with bar service. It was peaceful and never over crowded. It was so inviting I spent four hours out there!

The next obvious choice was the spa since for reasons unknown, my foot was in pain for the past 24 hours. Jenna was very accommodating and booked a reflexology appointment with Teko. I must have been entertaining an angel because her heavenly hands had healing powers! I walked away with no more pain and haven't had any since! Thanks Teko!!!

I will definitely be back as this is the ideal location for a stay-cation or vacation depending on where you live. As a matter of fact, the same family I hosted will be staying there next month when my nephew moves into his dorm.

Room Tip: Ask for a skyline view...these are deluxe rooms. Any floor level 7 and up should have a good view. W...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Racquelrene! I want to personally thank you for submitting feedback of your recent stay with us; after all, we value and look forward to guest feedback of any kind! We certainly do offer unsurpassed amenities, including a plethora of indoor and outdoor event spaces, Southern Art (aren’t the offerings at Ham Bar simply amazing?), Bourbon Bar (where we feature local and regional craft bourbon), SPA InterContinental (I’m ecstatic to hear about your reflexology “cure”!), an outdoor pool and whirlpool, and a large, modern gym overlooking famed Peachtree Road. All in all, we’re here to take care of your every need. Safe travels and we’re looking forward to welcoming you again soon. PS – best of luck to the newest Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket!!