InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #17 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Consistency is very important to a business traveler who may frequent a certain city and prefers to return to a property that meets both needs and wants. The Intercontinental Buckhead delivers this level of top notch service. Returning again from last month's stay, we were hospitably greeted by Olga, a professional, yet warm and friendly concierge who was assisting in checking people in so that there was barely a queue. Not only did Olga remember us, but she quickly acknowledged our Ambassador Status and flawlessly delivered the customer service accorded a member of this program. Since air travel is stressful at best, and the traffic coming from the airport was horrendous due to torrential downpours on the way in, how refreshing it was to be welcomed in this manner. Immediately we were put at ease and felt as though we were once again visiting our home away from home. As in this case of many Saturday evenings at this property, there was a gala event that brought a large crowd of guests, not all of whom were staying overnight on property. This was only an issue when we returned later that evening and did not have a parking space for self park. The valet was quick and efficient to take our vehicle and let us know that we would not pay for valet service, and we would be able to pick up our car the next day at our leisure. The car was quickly brought around the following day upon our phone request. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Ambassador status was again acknowledged with a fresh fruit and bottled water amenity. The Club Lounge provided refreshment without having to leave the property or face the downstairs crowd that first evening, with hot and cold appetizers and drinks. The Concierge works hard to keep lounge clean and stocked well. Newspapers, apples and cookies are also available. We had breakfast in the Southern Art restaurant. Healthy choices and combinations were greatly appreciated. Perhaps the kitchen might consider a cold press juicer to provide cold pressed vegetable juices in the future? We enjoyed the Bourbon Bar later in our visit after business was concluded one afternoon. Although it is billed as more of a carnivore's delight, some vegetarian options would be appreciated too. Staff is attentive, friendly and provide outstanding service even though the area is a hotspot. Free wireless in the lobby. The only sad note was an odd comment from the gift shop clerk. Dropped in that first evening and requested a plastic bag to contain an item, and then again the next morning, needed another plastic bag. No, not that we are hoarders, it was simply a case of too much to carry both times and the gift shop was there....The second request was met with this comment: "This is the last bag I can give you". Puzzled, I asked why that was the case. "They are expensive", was the reply. These 10 x 13 thin, cheap plastic bags with handle cut outs? REALLY??!! I told the gift shop attendant that since that was the case, she had better hold on to the one she was going to so reluctantly relinquish. Not sure where that came from....and certainly not in keeping with this wonderful property. The gym and the pool are well maintained and a pleasure to work out in. Close proximity to major highways, shopping and fine restaurants. Without hesitation, I recommend the Intercontinental Buckhead and thank the staff for working so hard to make each guest's visit so enjoyable!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank suze_shoes
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Greetings from Atlanta, suze_shoes! I want to thank you for submitting such a thorough, kind review of your recent experience with us. You struck a chord when you mention “we were put at ease and felt as though we were once again visiting our home away from home”. Really and truly, this exemplifies all that we strive for! As a AAA FiveDiamond hotel we take pride in every facet of our guest experience (quality, service, amenity offerings, associate professionalism, etc.), and I’m thrilled that these were apparent during your visit. Thank you again for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing and please come back and let us welcome you “home” again soon! Safe travels.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,867)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed her with two small children. Ages 3 and 6 months. Hotel was very accommodating. Staff was terrific. Ate at the hotel bar for lunch. Had crab cake appetizer and my 3 year old ate Mac n Cheese. Both were delicious. Also had a delicious dinner. I recommend dining here. Prices are reasonable. Outdoor pool was very nice. I heard the hot tub was nice as well although i didn't experience it myself. Room was cozy. Bed comfortable. Separate tub and shower. All very nice. Negatives... The breakfast buffet wasn't good. It was a weekday so I'm guessing not very busy which seems to mean for this hotel buffet food sits too long. Although try the yogurt. The chef makes it. Best I've ever had! I recommend skipping buffet and ordering from the menu. It may be different on weekends. Also be aware that there are a lot of shared services. I like to be generous when i tip so thought i brought enough cash. Caught off guard because the guy that took my keys and took out my luggage moved it inside for the Bellhop. I missed that these were two separate people as they seemed to be dressed the same? And then when i checked out the Bellhop came for my luggage than gave it to a different guy who put my luggage in my car than valet gave me keys. Three separate people equals three separate tips. Happy to oblige but miscalculated my cash flow and now needed a ATM for my airport tips.

Room Tip: I had a corner room. Never heard my neighbors. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

You know, happyhappyfamily, your review headline is quite literally the most important thing a hotelier wants to hear: “Great Stay”. As simple as it sounds, this is our goal – for each and every guest to have a great stay. With that said, thank you for your thorough review and for your kind words. It sure sounds like you had the opportunity to really get a feel for all of our offerings, including Southern Art, our restaurant helmed by celebrity chef Art Smith! What a nice treat. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I picked up a room on Priceline's name your own price for the incredible rate of $87 this past weekend for a two-fold purpose: as a stay-cation and to host two family members in the city instead of in the suburbs.

Two minor quibbles: $22 self parking per night and the room with two double beds was exactly that...double and not queen but we made it work. This twelfth floor room had a beautiful view of the Atlanta skyline and my Georgia Tech bound nephew spent most of his in-room time with his chair turned toward the city as though he was contemplating the next four years ahead of him...wish I had captured that picture!

The spacious bathroom with sunken garden tub, marble floors, separate shower with seamless glass door and telephone was a welcome surprise. I think it makes up about a third or the entire space! The linens are made for royalty and it is one of the best night's sleep I've ever had away from home.

The lobby is alive and active on the weekends with live music and the energy is electric! There was a gala the first night so we sat a while and people-watched. It was fun to see the "who's who" and "who wants to be a who" of Atlanta...delightful and comical all at the same time!

THE RESTAURANT DOES PORK WELL!!!!

I'd never heard of a ham bar before but was a wonderful experience. They offer various hams from all across the globe and I look forward to trying additional choices during future visits. We also devoured a beautiful, sweet, succulent pork shank which rests on a bed of scrumptious collard greens. My nephew had it for dinner and I ordered it for lunch on the last day because the one taste of his stayed with my taste buds and called my name each time I looked at the menu.

The beautiful pool was top-notch and complete with bar service. It was peaceful and never over crowded. It was so inviting I spent four hours out there!

The next obvious choice was the spa since for reasons unknown, my foot was in pain for the past 24 hours. Jenna was very accommodating and booked a reflexology appointment with Teko. I must have been entertaining an angel because her heavenly hands had healing powers! I walked away with no more pain and haven't had any since! Thanks Teko!!!

I will definitely be back as this is the ideal location for a stay-cation or vacation depending on where you live. As a matter of fact, the same family I hosted will be staying there next month when my nephew moves into his dorm.

Room Tip: Ask for a skyline view...these are deluxe rooms. Any floor level 7 and up should have a good view. W...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Racquelrene! I want to personally thank you for submitting feedback of your recent stay with us; after all, we value and look forward to guest feedback of any kind! We certainly do offer unsurpassed amenities, including a plethora of indoor and outdoor event spaces, Southern Art (aren’t the offerings at Ham Bar simply amazing?), Bourbon Bar (where we feature local and regional craft bourbon), SPA InterContinental (I’m ecstatic to hear about your reflexology “cure”!), an outdoor pool and whirlpool, and a large, modern gym overlooking famed Peachtree Road. All in all, we’re here to take care of your every need. Safe travels and we’re looking forward to welcoming you again soon. PS – best of luck to the newest Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel itself is very attractive with a very welcoming staff. Our room was clean and well appointed. When we arrived at 3:30 P.M. on Saturday afternoon we were told that our room wasn't ready. No problem...we were visiting family in the Buckhead area and could spend some time with them. (We checked our bags and left.) When we came back the room was ready. We asked for our bags and the gentleman brought them out promptly, EXCEPT, they weren't ours. They had a little trouble finding ours, but finally brought them out. We arrived in the room around 5:30 P.M. and wanted to get something from our refrigerator. The refrigerator wouldn't open and we were told by the management that a thunderstorm had effected the refrigerators in the hotel. Again, no problem we managed. But the real problem I had with this hotel is that at 11:30 P.M. the hallway on our floor began sounding like a college dorm. Shouting, music playing, and a lot of noise. My husband called the front desk and they assured us it would be taken care of. After midnight I called down to complain about the noise for a second time. I peeked into the hallway and there were young men sitting in the hallway on their cell phones, loud music was being played and people were running in and out of different rooms. Between 1:00 and 1:30 A.M. the noise began to subside. From that point on we slept fairly well. The next morning we were given a cup of coffee "on the house". Gee folks is that really the best you can do? They said that a soccer team was staying on our floor and that they had just won a game. The gentleman that checked us out said "thanks for being so understanding". GOOD GRIEF!! Enough said...we will never return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Perhaps you should ask if there is a sports team staying on your floor!!!???
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello, GBOWENShelby_NC. I would like to thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed hear when my sister was going to a trade show. My one year old nephew and I were on vacation. I like the area, but probably won't be back because of how difficult it is to get downtown and midtown by Marta. The pool was very nice and not busy during the mornings or late afternoon when we went. The room was nice and large. The second day we were there the house keeping rang the door bell even with sign on door not to disturb. I was annoyed it was baby's nap time. We could also hear all door bells on the floor. The housekeeper asked when was good for their return, but never came back that day. Next morning we asked for morning house keeping which did work for the rest of our stay. We did get the guys ringing bell next afternoon for mini bar. Again could hear them through hall ringing bell. Not great for napping baby.

• Stayed: July 2013

Greetings from a warm and sunny Atlanta, francine_16! Your feedback is truly important to us and I want to thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing; we love that! As a destination hotel, we pride ourselves on providing a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for all of our guests – including yourself. I’m thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy our recently renovated pool deck. Complete with new resort-style furniture, our 2nd floor pool is ideal for relaxing or basking in the Georgia sun. Thank you again for taking a moment to share your thoughts regarding your stay. Come back and let us pamper you again soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at the InterContinental this past weekend to celebrate my best friend's birthday. Because I knew we would all end up gathering in my room I reserved a King size suite - however since I am an Ambassador loyalty program member when I arrived they advised me that I had been upgraded to the Presidental suite. This one upgrade has more than payed for the price of membership. Everyone at the hotel from the bellmen to the front desk to housekeeping are super helpful. Whenever I stay in the Buckhead area this will definitely be my new Hotel Choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ponder72

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, ponder72. I’m thrilled that you and your friends had a wonderful birthday experience with us! You know, we thoroughly enjoy upgrading our guests whenever availability allows as we want each and every guest to have the most comfortable, memorable experience possible. At nearly 2,000 square feet our Presidential Suite is the perfect place to celebrate that special occasion! Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing. Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I visited the Intercontinental this past weekend with girlfriends, for a Mama/teacher getaway. I guess I foolishly (?) booked a room on Expedia, because when we arrived we were told we were going to be in a king suite and not receive the double beds we requested. The first night there were three of us - not really a great number for a king suite. I showed them my reservation and that we requested double beds, but were were told that a request did not equal a guarantee. I tried to keep my cool, but I was so frustrated I was literally shaking. I ended up sleeping on a roll-away bed for Friday night that required some MacGuyver-esque moves to heft and worm into our pretty small room. We were able to switch rooms for Saturday night, thank goodness, and the lady at the front desk was very helpful for this transition.

I've stayed at Intercontinental before and never had an issue. And I will say that during our stay all of the bellhops, valets, and the general manager were all attentive and polite. I just hate that their planning lacked common sense. Our reservation was for four adults (and paid an extra person fee) - how on earth the Intercontinental thought four women would fit in a king suite in one of their king suites defies logic and my imagination.

If you stay here, I would recommend calling the hotel and not making reservation requests via Expedia.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear anda319,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B