“Excellent luxury hotel.”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #16 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 1, 2013

In a town where luxury hotels are within walking distance of each other the InterContinental Hotel does not dissapoint. It is exactly what is expected of a 5 star hotel. Very high quality amenities in both the common areas and rooms. A very easy choice for couples or business travelers.

1  Thank Ed D
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, Ed D. We certainly understand that our guests have the option to stay at other hotels within the area, and for that, we thank you for choosing us! Our goal is not only to provide superior service but also to exceed each and every one of our guests’ expectations. I’m thrilled that we did not disappoint! Please come back and see us again soon whenever your travels bring you back to Atlanta. Cheers.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We got a bargain from hotwire. The hotel is immaculate, room is clean, everything that a good hotel should be. My standards are high and this is not the regular US hotel that hilton or marriott is. This was really much better, until...

For one of the days we stayed there, there was no hot water in the room. And apparently no hot water in the whole hotel. It started in the morning and the hot water only came back in the evening. Cant believe this. Complained at the hotel reception. They were apologetic but unconcerned as if it is a regular occurrence or it is not a big deal - just take a cold shower. Why should I pay to stay in a hotel and have to take a cold shower? Pissed me off totally.

Please hotel management if you read this, buy some hot water boiler for standby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicholas Y

Hello and thank you for taking the time to submit your review, Nicholas Y. I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We certainly take all feedback seriously and I would like to discuss your experience and concerns with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Atlanta for an extended weekend and were looking for a luxury hotel to treat ourselves. In selecting a hotel, I looked at the Mandarin Oriental, the Ritz Carlton, Loews, and the Intercontinental. I wanted a room that had a soaking tub big enough for two and I wanted to try Club level accommodations. The Mandarin Oriental had large tubs and even would have done a car service for up to three miles, but was much more expensive for the Club level. The Ritz did not appear to have large tubs unless I booked a suite. I decided against Loews because it did not score well with HRC. In the end, I selected the Intercontinental because it was the best balance for us.

Room. As a club level room, we had a room on the 20th floor and were treated to a very nice view of Atlanta. It was spacious for two people so we never had to scooch around each other just to move around. The decor was muted orange, brown and red. There was a flat screen TV, a desk with work chair, and a chair with ottoman for reading. The bed was very comfortable and neither of us had difficulty sleeping. The lighlight of the room for us was the bathroom. It has a large and moderately deep tub which fit both of us. There is also a separate area in the bathroom that has shower and a toilet. So this is perfect for a romantic weekend.

Service. The service was very good. The attendants in the club level lounge were excellent and attentive. When I called the front desk, it was nice that they would refer to me by name. And in general, the staff would greet you with a smile. There were a few glitches. First, information online seemed to indicate that there would be a separate check in line for club level rooms. However, we could not find that (shorter?) line and so we ended up queueing behind everyone else to check in. Around 4:00 PM on Saturday, it was a 10 minute wait before someone started to help us. A bit petty, I know, but I hate lines so it was a blemish on the stay. Second, we ended up running out of certain toiletries and I called down requesting shampoo and bath gel. In about 10 minutes a guy came up and delivered a handful of toiletries that had shampoo, bar soap, conditioner, an emery board and a shoe shine cloth -- it was missing the bath gel I requested so another person had to be sent to deliver that (another 10 minute wait) since I planned on soaking in the tub. Third, on the second day of our stay, the turndown service only left one chocolate -- this struck us as a bit odd since the day before two chocolates were left. Still, I rate the service as a 4 out of 5; great service and certainly above par and well above the service that one would get at the mass-market hotels. However, I hold back on the 5 since I have received clearly better service in other hotels.

Amenities. The hotel amenities include: (1) an outdoor pool with towel service (and there is even a bar in the pool area to get drinks); (2) a fitness center; (3) a spa; and (4) a lawn area with bocce and croquet. The pool was a very nice place and having a nearby bar to get water or drinks was nice. It does fill up so if you want a lounger underneath an umbrella, come early (10AM) to get one. Towels are available near the pool so you don't have to bring towels down from your room. The fitness center was a good size with about a dozen (total) treadmills and eliptical machines each with their own TV. There are also six weight machines (3 for legs; 3 for upper body), pairs of dumbells and exercise balls.

Club Level. For those that seek a bit of extra oompf to their hotel stay, I would recommend the club level amenities. Coffee, tea, coca cola products, beer, and bottled water were available throughout the day. The Intercontinental also included food offerings at four different times during the day: breakfast, snack, pre-dinner, and dessert. Breakfast was a continental breakfast of a couple of hot items that changed daily, fruits, oatmeal with toppings, sliced meats, salmon, and juice. Snack included kettle chips made at the hotel, cookies (the double chocolate and the oatmeal were the best), jerky and dried fruits. Pre-dinner canapes changed daily so here was a sampling: asparagus spears; sauteed green beans; chicken wellington; and fried artichoke and goat cheese balls. Pre-dinner also included a small selection of wines (at least one red and one white) and liquors. Later in the night, dessert was also offered, which consisted of small bite sized cakes or tarts that also changed each night. While the upgrate to club level was a bit pricey, the offerings in the lounge helped make up for the added cost.

Extra Fees. It's a bit hard to find information on extra fees that are tacked on so here is the information on that: (1) parking is $22 per day and you can go in and out; the hotel gives you a garage access pass that allows you to enter and leave when you like; and (2) internet fee was $10 per day (we just used our smartphones with hotspots to access the internet). There is a mini bar in your room and the cost in on the menu in your room.

Room Tip: I got the best deal by booking directly with the hotel site.
4  Thank Bryan L

Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Bryan L! I want to thank you for submitting such a thorough, detailed review of your experience while staying with us (you should be a travel writer!). It appears you were able to check out all of our on-site amenities (kudos!) and I am happy to hear that you found value and ease in the Club Lounge (isn’t it so convenient?). We definitely take all comments to heart, so thank you for sharing your feedback! Safe travels and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to Atlanta.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is easily one of my favorites in the US. The location is perfect, close to the malls and the highway. It's a beautiful hotel with southern charm but it's one of my favorites for the service they provide. I travel about 300 days a year and hasn't been to the hotel in about 9months, yet they all still remembered my name. Willie the bellman and Julian the concierge are the best. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CiCiJames

Hello, CiCiJames, and greetings from Atlanta! I appreciate you taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay with us (and for the kind words). You know, the best feedback a General Manager can hear is that their associates performed exemplary and made an impact on a guests’ experience. Willie and Julian are strong assets to InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, so I’m thrilled that you let me know of their performance. Thank you again for the review and recommendation. We can’t wait to welcome you back again soon. Cheers.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I travel frequently for business and this is by far one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. This hotel defines what customer service should be. The gym was great, hotel was wonderful and staff was incredible. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sarahb49

Thank you for the ‘fantastic’ review, Sarahb49! Being rated as a AAA Five Diamond hotel isn’t always an ‘easy’ process, but we take an incredible amount of pride in everything from our cleanliness to guest service to offering unrivaled amenities. So, I’m so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us (especially being a frequent business traveler)! We look forward to welcoming you again next time your travels bring you to Atlanta (whether it be for business or pleasure).

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel was one of the worst I've ever stayed in.

First off, the positives, since I like to be fair: The servers at the breakfast area were very nice and helpful...that's about it.

Negatives:
-They added multiple charges to our bill - almost $200 of unaccounted charges found on my credit card statement. The bill they gave us when we checked out was $21 in incidental charges. So there are $180 of unaccounted charges. I called them, and they couldn't explain. Still sorting it out.
-The walls are extremely thin. So you get the pleasure of experiencing other people's nights. Conversations all around you, a lady in high heels walking across the floor in the room above us, etc. Ruckus in the hallway.
-There is constant racket. The first night something kept hitting the walls and window so that it woke me and my husband up at 6am. This noise continued for a couple hours, and we finally gave up and left the room for breakfast. We told the front desk and were moved to another room. At 2am in the new room, the pipes of the bathrooms around us went haywire and woke us up with a start. Another sleepless night in the Intercontinental. When I went to inform the front desk, they offered to take off valet and the couple granola bars I got from the gift shop. Charming.
-This goes with the previous: I got no sleep. This was very upsetting as I work 15 hour shifts including weekends, and this was the one weekend off I had. And I unfortunately chose the Intercontinental out of the hundreds of other options in Atlanta. Really bad mistake. I have to go into work now completely unrefreshed and unrested. And I spent $200 a night for it.
-The front desk people come off as not really caring about any of these things I just explained.
-There were holes all over my comforter. Not sure what that was about.

Conclusion: Horrible hotel, uncaring front desk. Bad combo. Go to the Westin.

4  Thank Traveler0529

Hello and thank you for taking the time to submit your review, Traveler0529. I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We certainly take all feedback seriously and I would like to discuss your experience and concerns with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Nes was our server in the Embassador Lounge the entire trip. He did an EXCELLENT job going above and beyond what we expected! He is truly the BEST at what he does. He MADE our trip! This is our third year in a row to stay in the Intercontinental and Nes has been equally as attentive all three years. Thank You from me and my family!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephen O

First, thank you for taking the time to submit a review, Stephen O! Second, thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed Nes’ service and professionalism! We strive to recruit the best associates available, so it thrills me to let Nes know of your feedback. Finally, thank you for being a loyal guest over the years! Loyal guests truly are our ‘extended family’, so we are looking forward to seeing you again soon! Safe travels.