“Poor hotel, neighborhood shows promise”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #151 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed October 25, 2008

When my employer booked me into this hotel, I looked up reviews on-
line and was disappointed to see the many negative reviews. The Castleberry Inn succeeded in living down to expectations. On the positive side are (i) low price, (ii) in room fridge, microwave, and sink, (iii) good and free WiFi signal, (iv) bed was fine. On the negative side (i) I couldn't get the shower to work, (ii) furniture and fixtures in disrepair, (iii) most pathetic in-room coffee maker I've encountered - a styrofoam cup in place of a tiny carafe, (iv) one rickety desk chair isn't much for a supposed 'extended stay' hotel. The security at the hotel creates a bit of anxiety about the neighborhood - one can't even get into the lobby without a key card or being buzzed in. But the Castleberry Hill neighborhood behind the hotel appears to be spawning a number of interesting new restaurants, galleries, coffee shops, etc., and so is well worth a stroll. If you're dissatisfied with the hotel coffee in the morning, the Tilt coffee house on the street behind the hotel offers a great $1 brew and a very pleasant ambience.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CPtraveller

Reviewed September 15, 2008

The hotel is in the middle of the Ghetto. I got lost walking from Gatnett station and phoned the hotel for directions. The people on the phone couldn't be bothered to help and told me just to ask someone on the street. The hotel itself is below average. I would find it acceptable if this was in a good area, like the middle of the city, but its right in the ghetto. In my opinion, stay away from this hotel unless you are seriously desperate for a bed and are willing to pay a lot for very litte.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I booked this room through Expedia for 4 of us traveling to the Georgia Dome for a sold out sporting event. I received a confirmation number from Expedia and just to be sure I had a room, I called the Castleberry Inn and Suites and got a confirmation number from them as well. When I tried to check in on August 30, they had overbooked by 40 rooms and I had no room. The lobby was full of furious people including me. I should have taken a previous review that I read about this hotel seriously. It seems that they make a habit of overbooking. Now I have to go through the trouble of getting a refund from Expedia (which has already shown up on my credit card and which I paid!!!!). Never, ever, trust these people to be honest in their booking.

Stayed: August 2008
gilesl, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2008

We at the Castleberry Inn would like to extend our sincerest apologies and ask for your understanding. Our recent online booking put is a embarrasing situation. We were unable to meet all of our guest accommodations. Management mail out apology letters with discount off your next visit.
We have taken every precaution to asure this will never happens again in the future.

Thank you for bring understanding in this embarrassing situation.

Sincerly,
Castleberry Inn Management

Reviewed August 21, 2008

I am a student in the area that this hotel is located in and I must say I am highly disappointed. I have stayed in various hotels in the Atlanta area and around the country and this is the worst I have ever been to. When you look at the hotel from the outside it seems new and appealing. The first warning sign was the front door; you have to use your room key to get in. The next warning was that they are doing renovations yet this hotel was built in 2001. I have never heard of a building being renovated 7 years after it was built; this is proof of the lack of quality of this hotel. In the room that I stayed in there was a constant smell of wet paint from down the hall. There were black marks all over the walls. To my surprise the bathroom that did not have a sink in the same vicinity. A sink was oddly placed next to a mini refrigerator and a "floating" tube TV(all next to the window). Another negative about this hotel is that at random times during the day and night my bedroom would vibrate. There is also a train track nearby so if you can't sleep through the whistles of trains don’t come to this hotel. The beds are also hard and the carpet in my room has stains. The cable TV is inconsistent; some channels have no sound and many flicker or have a fuzzy picture. The people who work here are friendly. I just wish that the people who built this hotel did not cut corners as much as they did; staying here made me think I was either in the projects or a rundown 30 year old hotel. Enjoy you stay (somewhere else). If you can handle extremely meager accommodations stay here but I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Jasmine H

Thank you for notifying us of your complaint. We strive to provide you with the best possible service, and when you feel that it fails to meet your expectations, it’s important for us to know.We’re sorry that you received service that prompted you to contact us with a complaint, and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you. Unfortunely, You did choose one our economy rooms, which does not accommodate three people. We offer larger guestrooms, with full baths and 2 beds. When trying to sleep three people that will be a better choice than a economy room.
Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you.
Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.
Management

Reviewed July 16, 2008

I don't know where the people who gave this hotel 4 stars are used to staying, but they must enjoy GHETTO hotels! The most run down Super 8 motels are better than this place! You can take my word for it because I travel a LOT, all over the world. I have stayed in hostels in Ireland that are nicer than this place!

I am from Georgia, about an hour away from an Atlanta, so I know the good and bad areas of Atlanta. The only reason I stayed here was because the people I was staying with already booked the place before I had a chance to check it out online. The only good thing about this place is that it is about 2 miles away from the Georgia Dome. I was told by the people I went with that this one was 75 dollars a night for a queen size bed. Ok, first off, the bed in the room we got to begin with was NOT a queen size bed. It was maybe a double. And of course they don't offer any rollaway beds.

When I saw what exit we were getting off of and which direction we were going in, I started to get a little nervous. This area IS the projects. The picture I saw online before we left to go seemed decent. WRONG! Pictures are deceiving! It is smack dead in the middle of section 8. I wouldn't even walk outside to my car at night, no kidding. So we walk to the front entrance of the hotel, you have to have a key card to get in- this should be the first warning sign. Based off of experience, if a hotel is in a nice area and is nice itself, this wouldn't be needed. I will say the people working there were nice when we got in. The lobby was 'okay". Nothing special. So we get our key to our room and go upstairs. When you get off the elevator you feel as if you just entered a scary movie. The halls have that eerie feeling about them. Some of the ceiling tiles were gone and one of the hallways actually had no doors on the rooms and the rooms were gutted out. I guess they were doing renovations but they had NO warning signs or signs telling you to keep out of the work zone area. There was an air unit (like the ones in hotel rooms) IN the hallway so ANYONE could adjust it. Someone had adjusted it to around 80 degrees. It was so hot! We of course changed it to about 68.

We tried to get into our room and the key didn't work so one of us went back down and got a working key. We go into the room and oh my God it smelt horrible! It smelt musty and like some nasty hair products. The floor was filthy, the bathroom had pubes on the floor, a bulb was missing in the vanity, the lighting was terrible, and all around it was a nightmare. It looked like a place someone would be murdered in on a scary movie. Then that's when we saw the "queen size bed". We didn't mind all sleeping on a queen bed because we are all girls, there were 3 of us, and we're small. Well, even the smallest girls couldn't fit on that bed. So we asked to be upgraded to a room with double beds. It was on the same floor and was just as bad as the first room. The rooms are tiny for one. They stink, they're dirty, etc. The wallpaper was falling off the walls! I wouldn't dare sit in the tub and take a bath! I refused to sleep under the covers because it just felt dirty. The room has a sink area in front of one of the beds with a microwave, a tv, and a small fridge. That is the only sink so you have to brush your teeth in it. It's gross because it's like brushing your teeth in the kitchen. The walls are PAPER thin and you can literally hear everything people are saying when you walk by a room. There is no complimentary items unless you ask. On one of the beds, where the bed frame and the mattress meet, there was some type of pill, trash, what looked like a fruit loop, and something else that I can't begin to describe. Under the desk in the room there was a crusty bottle of finger nail polish and more trash. There is a place to hang your clothes but no closet and no ironing board or iron!

We paid 75 dollars for the "queen bed" room and to upgrade to a double bed room, it was 40 more dollars!!! WTF?! We might as well have stayed in a place that was 200 plus dollars like the Hampton Inn that was actually decent! Remember, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Do NOT try to be cheap in places like Atlanta. Atlanta, overall, is a cool place and I go there often, but it also has many unsafe places. Take it from someone that is from Georgia! Do not stay here! Stay downtown or above Atlanta. Do not stay in South Atlanta unless you HAVE TO!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
gilesl, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2008

Castleberry Inn & Suites
I’m always appreciative when guests take the time to provide feedback, good or bad. Either way, it helps me understand what we’re doing right and what we can do better. Fortunately, I get loads of positive comments and negative comments. But it’s the negative comments that keep me up at night. Please accept our apologies for the less-than-satisfactory experience. Please be assured that we’ve taken corrective measures to prevent such occurrences in the future. As a gesture of concern over this matter, and in an effort to restore your faith in our hotel we would appreciate having the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest for one night, at discounted rate. When it’s convenient, please contact me directly so that I may personally look after all arrangements.
We look forward to serving you again soon.
Hotel undergoing enhancements please pardon our progress.

Reviewed January 12, 2008

Arrived to check in and was told the reservation had never been made by lastminute.com, then proceeded to watch the same thing be told to at least the next two customers. Turns out there were so many major events happening in Atlanta that all the hotels were full, so it appears that the hotel probably overbooked and the dotcom customers were the ones to pay the price.
Was then moved to a suite (for which we were required to pay the difference in price) which had no sinks in either bathroom, many of the light bulbs in the room were burned out, and when we requested a hairdryer and extra blanket, were told they did not have any. Also, the TV remote in one room was encrusted with God only know's what.
In general a fairly miserable experience.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business

Castleberry Inn & Suites
We look forward to serving you again soon.
Hotel undergoing enhancements please pardon our progress.

Reviewed November 11, 2007

Comfortable, the hotel provided just what I needed at a pretty good price. It was cozy and clean. The people were nice. With the exception of not having internet access, it was perfect!

Stayed: April 2007