“Quick food after walking the beltline” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woody's CheeseSteaks

Woody's CheeseSteaks
Ranked #548 of 3,907 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Established 1975, we are Atlanta's choice for the best CheeseSteaks, MilkShakes, and more! Located steps from the Beltline entrance and Piedmont Park, we offer the best location for a sandwich and a local beer! Open til midnight during the week and til 4am on the weekends.
Atlanta, GA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,854 helpful votes
“Quick food after walking the beltline”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've driven past Woody's a hundred times, never thinking about stopping here. But today we walked the beltline and basically ended up at Woody's doorstep, and we were hungry. When you walk in it's pure 1950's kitsch. You order at the counter, then they call your name. There are a few tables inside but we ate out on the picnic tables. I had the cheese steak, of course. It was a decent size for $6.50 but needed more spices or even just more pepper. It hit the spot, but I'll say it was average at best. My wife had a hot dog (go figure) and my daughter had a veggie cheese "steak" and a banana puddin' King of Pops. Both said the sandwiches were average but the King of Pops was the best part. Woody's is fun for the ironic atmosphere but don't expect fine dining. Look for a ScoutMob discount.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank GuyFromAtlanta_GA

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good lunch outing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

A group of us came by here the other day. I had never been here before, so I was interested to see how it would be.

The lunch was a fun outing. I liked the charm of the interior of the eatery -- but ultimately we sat outside on the picnic tables.

I ordered the turkey cheesesteak. I was expecting maybe ground turkey but it was bits of sliced turkey in a pretty yummy sauce. I tried to order fries but they do not sell them -- I guess it's a pretty small space in the prep area.

We also took advantage of the Scoutmob deal, which was great. It seemed like it took a while for my sandwich to be made but I liked the atmosphere and probably will return again!

• Visited December 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Foodies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

LOVE THE VIBE && Mush Cheesesteak w/Peppers. The bread was so soft and fresh. The meat,veggies,and cheese. delicious mmmm yum :)

Seacrest Beach, Florida
“Last Review was a Fluke”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I didn't give Woody's 5 stars in August because I was afraid that I would jinks it or it was a fluke. Well, we tried it yesterday and it was next to horrible. The meat tasted as if it had been pre-cooked, possibly boiled then put on the griddle and warmed up with the cheese and precooked onions. Think that is the only way they can keep their line moving fast. The last owners cooked one at a time and there was always a wait. You had to call ahead. The taste of the quality of meat was lacking. We split a cheese steak and each ate less than half…. Had that strange beef taste. The buns was soft and fresh. The coca cola's with that perfectly crushed ice was great and the strawberry milkshake was pretty good. The shakes are better at Steak and Shake and DQ. I am really sad for this place as for so many years it was our favorite place. The attitude was great, the service was great, the steak sandwich was NOT. Go the extra miles and go to The Mad Italian.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chefluee
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Pretty good...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've been meaning to try Woody's for some time now, as I'm a cheesesteak aficionado, and I finally was down in the area so we went.

Parking is a challenge. We ended up parked in a shopping center down the road. There are signs inside the restaurant warning if you park at the closest lot your car will get booted and you'll be fined.

The dining area is fairly small, especially inside where there are only a few tables. There is more seating on their patio which is where we ended up. The service type is counter, where you go place your order at a window from a big menu board and they call your name when its ready. The person taking my order was very friendly and appeared to enjoy what he was doing which is always nice.

They had a variety of cold and hot subs, but I was there for a straight up cheesesteak so that's what I ordered. I should note that my gold standard for cheesesteaks is Tony Luke's in Philadelphia. I've been to many restaurants in that area and none to me have beaten them.

I ordered my steak with onions and cheese of course. I'm not quite sure what kind of cheese they used but it was yellow. It didn't taste like Whiz so I'm guessing it was just yellow american. I've read other reviews that say they use Whiz but it just didn't taste like it to me.

The sandwich was good. There was a decent amount of meat (they advertise that they use 1/3 lb per sandwich which seemed about right) and the bread was very fresh. Here's the rub though, and its common at places like these. The bread was too soft in my opinion. I like a good sturdy fresh roll that can handle all the meat and juices inside and give a good chew. This bread was very soft and eventually got soggy from the contents. One other thing I'll note is that the meat and the cheese was all mixed up together. Some may like this style, but I prefer having some of the meat not covered in cheese so you get more of that steak flavor. Again, just personal preference but something to keep in mind.

All in all, it was a pretty good experience. Would I make a special trip from the north side of town to visit? Probably not, because I can get a very similar and arguably better sandwich at the Lenny's which are in this area. But, if you are around and hungry it could be a decent option.

• Visited August 2013