“Different!”

Chastain Park Amphitheater
Ranked #43 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I came to see "The Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me" tour, with Chelsea Handler, Josh Wolf, Heather McDonald and Brad Wollack. I hadn't done any research on the amphitheater as I was just happy to be able to still get tickets (she had cancelled her original date in June because most of them had come down with food poisoning.) I used a ticketbroker to get my tickets only because they had seats closer to where the stage was than the livenation or ticketmaster website. I was **very** surprised to see these tables around and everyone bringing their coolers, and picnic blankets, centerpieces, food and beverage out and enjoying themselves. it looked like tons of fun! I'm not sad that I didn't do any of that, I was there to have a good time and enjoy my favorite comedienne. The only bad thing I could say is that the chairs are very moveable and sometimes don't sit right in front of your seat number, so you have to double check what seat you are in, and then they tend to kind of bend while you are in it. It began to rain while we were there during the first act, and it didn't even bother us, cooled us off even. But it was a very nice place to be. I enjoyed visiting there and would go back if there were another act I wanted to see there. So my advice: if all shows are like this one and you can bring your picnic basket, cooler, etc, i would suggest doing so because that looked like a ton of fun!

1  Thank tscarb

Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was my first time visiting Chastain. So these are a few things I wish I would have know. My concert was a "table" set-up. Find out what yours is. Table set-up means literally the guests will bring little tables -think TV trays-they do fit in front of your seat. You can bring coolers and alcohol. This was a "Cheese and Wine" crowd (Saw Huey Lewis and the News") so LOTS of wine. The seats are "bench" style and made of metal mesh. I would highly suggest you take something to sit on. Also, alot of emphasis was put on candles. I didn't realize that everyone would put them on their little tables. So it was a cool effect after the sun went down. It is outside and was very warm. If you have a small portable/battery fan it would be most handy. Bathrooms are right inside of entrance go before you sit. Parking-is not as clear as website portrays -go early if your first time. Cost 15 dollars to park. After you park you have to walk down a flight of stairs to the show. Small venue -holds 6900-you will be buddies or enemies with people seating beside you by the end. Again, bench style sitting-you will touch your neighbor alot unless you and they only weigh 98lbs, Something to think about. A great show and I think it caters to an older crowd. I guess "Classic" in the name is very fitting! I had a great time -just know what to expect before you go!!

1  Thank HONEYBEAR51
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We were newbies to the whole Chastain Park Amphitheater experience when we attended the James Taylor concert over Memorial Day Weekend. We had heard you could bring food and drinks but really didn't want to commit to anything until we got the lay-of-the-land. From the rolling, green lushness of the park, to the extremely courteous and helpful staff, to fellow concert-goers (is everyone in Atlanta that friendly?), to the twinkle of candlelight as night fell (from the tables of those who DID bring wine, cheese, canapes, tablecloths, and seat cushions) to perfect acoustics - it was an great experience! Parking was easy and affordable and even the line to the ladies' room stalls moved quickly at intermission Oh, and did I mention we saw James Taylor? That was the HEAVEN part!

1  Thank snorinmom
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Ive seen three concerts at this venue and I adore this amphitheater it's outside, its small and its intimate what more could you want all three times ive went its been sold out and its just so worth, they have in back in a area that is a little werid considering you have homes all around the place but its not in a bad part of town and just cant brag on this enough, its a hidden gem and its back enough that you can get out of the traffic and not have to worry about that they also have plenty of parking.

3  Thank tinkerbsb
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We just saw James Taylor last night. His music was fantastic, however, we had a "table" for 6 people and it was a scam. You could barely seat 4 at this table, which was very small. I went out to give 2 tickets to our friends to get them in, and was refused re-admittance. The "new" staff that runs it (a private company) are jerks -- a bunch of young punk types. I finally got back in (with my ticket stub and ID and with the help of a nice lady at the other gate).

They've obviously oversold the place, and all of the old Chastain fans have noticed it. It took 30 minutes and a "cattle call" to just go to the bathroom during intermission (all while being "directed" by the new crew that runs it). You couldn't move during the performance because the seating has been so oversold, that you are surrounded by strangers and are hemmed in. If you have ANY problems with claustrophobia, stay away from Chastain.

Save your money, buy the CD, stay at home and grill out. It would have saved us well over $700.00.

It's become a scam . . . what a shame . . . and I grew up there.

2  Thank speerlaw