“Worst Hotel I've ever stayed in the US”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Downtown South at Turner Field
Ranked #137 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 6, 2010

My room at the Country Inn and Suites by Carlson Atlanta Downtown South was FILTHY. My phone and TV were both broken. Someone had put their fist or another object through the closet door. The shower was so bad I went without. And the grossness of grossness (is that a word?) - - someone had OBVIOUSLY slept on the sheets before I got there. YUK!! The carpet was so stained and dirty, I wouldn't walk on it barefoot.

And I missed the evening conference activiites because I was afraid to go out to my car in that neighborhood. The hotel Internet was not working and with no phone or a clean, safe place to sleep, I left the conference 3 days early.

HIMSS Conference needs to make amends to the many people who paid good money for the conference and for hotels. We trusted that their staff had checked out the hotels ahead of time for cleanliness and safety. A definite black spot on HIMSS10.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank TrainingConsultant
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Downtown South at Turner Field, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2016

TrainingConsultant,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel and your experiences during your stay. Since your stay we have made many improvements and continue the effort to continuously elevate our level of service. I hope you will stay with us again and experience the positive changes we have made during your next visit to Atlanta. Again, thank you for your comments, all feedback is used to help improve our efforts to build our hotel staff and product into a destination guests look forward to visiting.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

Great location for the braves stadium room are ok , service in need of help but if you care about your car you will go else where. No security cameras outside at all and bad neighborhood just around the corner.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kt32308

kt32308,

Reviewed October 1, 2009

The only reason I stayed at this hotel was because I missed my flight and I got a voe. When I first arrived There was a long line to check in. There was only one person helping. When I got to my room the lock was broken on the door. We switched rooms and it was horrible. The t.v. was small and their was no Disney Channel. The sink was hard to turn on. The room decor was out of style and their were not enough pillows on the bed. The hotel breakfasts were not big and the eating area was small. I hated it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Jodi101,

Reviewed September 7, 2009

We arrived at our hotel room a little after lunch time. We were on the first floor at the end of the hall. Sorry I don't recall the number. Going to the Braves vs. Diamondbacks on August 17( our actual anniversary date) was my gift to my husband. We had a room with a king size bed. I would only stay there if I were going to a Braves game. It is extremely convenient to the entrance of the stadium. Seriously, all you do is cross the road and you are there. After the game, we wanted to go somewhere for a nice anniversary dinner. However, we ended up at a Chick-fil-A because my nerves were so on edge of not knowing which exits and neighborhoods to avoid. I was just ready to get back to our room. So the night kind of ended on a sour note on my behalf. However the first half of our trip (Myrtle Beach 6 hour drive) more than made up for it! We didn't use the breakfast room or any of the amenities. Basically, we slept at this inn and left to come home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Mic2000,

Reviewed August 29, 2009

We paid entirely too much for what we got! Rooms were clean, and being right outside of the baseball stadium were the ONLY pluses. Breakfast was nothing extra. Coffee maker was broken the 1st morning, the toaster the next. Breakfast room attendant was anything but friendly. First night we were there, we asked for suggestions of places to eat. The lady handed us a sheet of paper with a list of restaurants. I asked for her recomendations, and she said she didn't know of anything except the the IHOP. When we travel, we like to eat where the locals eat. NOT where we can eat everyday! Nowhere close by to eat at except the BullPen next door....and what a joke that joint was! It's your local beer joint with slow service and mediocre food, at best. DON"T GO AFTER A BALLGAME UNLESS YOU WANT TO SIT THERE HALF THE NIGHT.
We were terribly disappointed in our stay, and the location of the hotel. We will stay next down, next time. If you're gonna pay the high price....might as well stay in a nicer location and be closer to restaurants and things to do. We'll take the MARTA to get to the next game.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank zanne43

zanne43,

Reviewed June 24, 2009

You walk out the door of the hotel, cross a 4-lane street, and there is the southwest entrance gate to Turner Field. When the Yankees/Braves game was over, we were in our room about to take a shower when my daughter called and said they were still in their car in the parking lot.

The king bed was very, very comfortable. The air-conditioning worked perfectly in 95 degree weather.

You can tell this is not a new hotel, but it was clean. The bathroom was perfectly clean. The walls were clean. If I were going to a Braves game, I would definitely stay there.

The price was high - but to avoid the headache of getting to and from a game w/o having to walk a mile or so - it was worth it. Self-parking on the premises is free. They give you a piece of paper to put on your dash to "prove" you are a guest.

The vending machine soft drinks were $1.25 - a deal compared to $5 at the stadium.

Internet - bring your internet cable to plug in. It is not wireless in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Georgia_in_MS,

Reviewed September 22, 2008

The Atlanta Braves chose this hotel for us. It was their dime. Proximity to the ballpark could not have been better.

The front staff was delightful and quick to replace our toothpaste that had been confiscated by airport security. The room was cold when we arrived, and stayed cold. The curtains kept out the sunlight. The beds were comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were both spacious. The shower was hot. The toilet had two tp rollers! The lobby had coffee available 'round the clock. We were greeted every time we left and arrived through the lobby.

There was mildew between the shower tiles, the bedroom walls had not been painted recently, and hallway doors were broken. So there was an over-all seedy impression. But our most basic needs were, indeed, satisfied by this hotel and staff quite pleasurably. We walked to the game and slept peacefully.

So what didn't go right?
1) There was no refrigerator in the room. Since I travel with insulin, I am affected by this.
2) The electric hairdryer overheated in less than 60 seconds of use. A friend was staying at the Holiday Inn, so my wife dried her hair at that hotel.
3) The biscuits and gravy were awful. I grew-up on biscuits and gravy, and am willing to overlook slight oversights because it is comfort food for me. But I threw this away. I decided to play it safe and toast a bagel. But it was so stale that we couldn't even eat that, even after toasting. There were green apples, but no bananas.

But the absolute worst thing was what I witnessed as I sipped my morning coffee. A person arrived to straighten-up the dining counter. She went through the trouble of donning plastic gloves for sanitary reasons, and then coughed directly into the glove just before reaching-in and handling breads with the very same hand. My wife and I drank the coffee and tea, but ate breakfast at the airport.

I can honestly say that I would stay here again, especially if the Braves are paying for it. I'm confident I would get a good night sleep. But I would plan on breakfast somewhere else. That is very disappointing to me, as CI&S breakfasts have historically been worth the stay. However, this is the 2nd consective stay at a CountryInn&Suites where the breakfast was intolerable. The other was in Alabama this past July, and that was a seedy hotel as well.

So maybe this is the direction all Country Inn & Suites are going.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family