“Bad choice in Atlanta (unless you're seeing a baseball game)”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Downtown South at Turner Field
Ranked #136 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed May 24, 2011

If you are only in town to see a Braves game, this hotel is adequate.

If you are in town for any other reason, I'd suggest staying somewhere else.

I was attending a conference at the Georgia World Conference Center (GWCC). I wanted to stay closer (e.g. Omni, Westin, or anything else downtown), but they were all sold out.

I thought it would be easier to take taxis than to rent a car. In the end, it probably would've cost me the same amount, but been more convenient, to rent a car. There are several $3/day lots near the GWCC versus $10+tip each way for cabs. Plus, there are no cabs waiting at the hotel. The front desk needs to call them and it takes about 25 minutes for one to arrive. Additionally, a cab from the airport is $35+tip.

The front desk staff was helpful, but not always there. The first two days I was there, no one was manning the front desk when I came in and at least once, the phone was off the hook. I understand that things happen, but I felt that there should be staff at the front desk at all times (or at least a security guard if the desk staff is on break).

As for the guestroom, I requested a non-smoking room (understanding that it was a request and not a guarantee), but received a smoking room. I don't smoke, but all of my clothes reeked of smoke after my stay. On a separate note, a bug crawled out of my shower curtain the first time I tried to shower. I wanted to check out, but already knew that any better hotels were already full.

In summary, if I were in town for less than 24 hours and only to see a baseball game, this hotel would be ok. But, if I planned on doing anything downtown (CNN Center, World of Coke, etc.), I'd definitely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank K_519
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Downtown South at Turner Field, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2016

K_519,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel and your experiences during your stay. Since your stay we have made many improvements and continue the effort to continuously elevate our level of service. I hope you will stay with us again and experience the positive changes we have made during your next visit to Atlanta. Again, thank you for your comments, all feedback is used to help improve our efforts to build our hotel staff and product into a destination guests look forward to visiting.

Reviewed May 18, 2011

great staff. friendly and helpful. just like being @ home with mama.
a must for any braves fan!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

muffin1234567,

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Standard Fairfield rooms, simple but not bad quality for the price. The Reception area roomy, so was the breakfast room although it did get a little busy during peak time (no surprise I suppose). The breakfast was buffet style with lots of choice however me being a European I have to say the coffee wasn’t all that great but not that bad I needed to complain! The hotel is right across the street from Turner Field and next to a bar called The Bullpen Grill were I had dinner. The food is grill type and almost self service but not bad quality and value for money. The bar had many large screen TV’s with various sports being shown and also a live band which were excellent, not sure if the band is on every night but I was there on a Saturday. The hotel and the Bullpen are not where I would take my partner for a romantic break but it ticked most of the boxes I have for a business trip hotel. The hotel’s staff was pleasant and dealt with all my need efficiently during my stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

KeithWS,

Reviewed March 13, 2011

After reading other reviews, I booked this hotel with real hesitation. However, we needed a hotel near the Georgia Dome which didn't cost a gazillion dollars and where we wouldn't go broke paying for parking. Parking was free and we could grab a Marta bus right across the street from the hotel and ride to our venue. Our check-in was quick and efficient, event though we arrived quite late at night. Every staff person we dealt with was pleasant and helpful. We had a great view of the city from our room which was spacious and immaculate. The TV was a late model HD with a great picture. (We're thinking of buying one like it.) The complimentary breakfast had a different hot option every day we were there (3 in all) and there is a lovely lobby area with a lending library. There was pretty much a full house in this hotel (mostly folks like us in Atlanta for the Southeastern Conference Basketball Tournament) but we never heard a sound from our room. There is a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel which had good food at reasonable prices. (It's nothing fancy, but you get alot of food!)
I can only surmise that the hotel is under new management or that things are different during baseball season (It's bound to be more crowded and more expensive then because it is right across the street from Turner Field.) However, it was perfect for us at this time of year for our purposes.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baseballlady

baseballlady,

I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised. I hope you are able to stay with us again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Out of state visit to GSU.
NOISY guests - hardly slept. Cannot blame hotel that they had lousy guests.
Easy to get around.
Wonderful staff.
Okay breakfast.
WiFi was wonky. Manager blamed me - I'm an IT chick!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank World_traveller_in_U

World_traveller_in_U,

Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stay here because it is right across the street from Turner Field, and there is no hassle of finding parking and fighting traffic before and after games. However, I think this hotel is aware that people WILL stay here no matter what because of the convenience factor and therefore don't make an effort to keep it up to standards. We have stayed in many different rooms/suites here; some are okay, but some are down right nasty! The suite we stayed in April of this year was so dirty, I even washed my luggage when we got home! The carpet was filthy-a huge stain right beside the bed that resembled vomit. Stray hairs (of unknown orgin, if you know what I mean) all over the bathroom floor and bathtub. Sink was clogged, so by the time you got finished brushing your teeth, the water was almost running over. The whole place was just gross!
This trip we had a different room. It was cleaner, but still not up to par. Wallpaper border peeling off the wall, mildew around the grout in the bathroom, etc. At close to $150 bucks a night, you expect a little better!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank nurs4lyf

nurs4lyf,

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Located across street from tuner field, so my only recommendation would be if you were seeing a event there, otherwise stay away from this place.
I have a two room suite, carpet was old stained, bugs in room I did not see till the next day or I would of left when I checked in. used the sleeper sofa and found old dried up food or something under it, the room was recently painted but they did not finish the trim.
only a sports bar/resturant near by(next door), it is ok but not with children. A bum was in the parking lot asking for money the whole eveing.
Cookies were on the check in desk in the evening, breakfast was so so, cerials,
waffles, biscuit, and pancakes they had to be heated in microwave if you wanted them.
Overall if you are going to turner field and was to stay across the street then stay there if not go somewhere else and have a better stay.
wifi in room was good speed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family