“Not "Southern" enough for a Southern girl”

Mary Mac's Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 105 Coffee & Tea in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I grew up in Tennessee and definitely know Southern food. This wasn't it. The food was decent, but there was soul missing from it... The atmosphere was a little uncomfortable, and because of the hype surrounding Mary Mac's, it was a little too busy. We felt like they were waiting for us to finish so they could bring in the next group. We ordered deserts after our meal, and was told (after a long wait) that this particular desert was no longer available, so ordered again, to have the same results. I had myself ready to have some fabulous mouth-watering food that I was used to the women in my family cooking, but left with a bland taste in my mouth... But. I don't want to be completely negative. It was passable...

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Stopped mid - afternoon right after arriving @ airport. Saw tv show with wow reviews. Pleasantly impressed. Loved most of what I had: fried pork chops, cornbread dressing & gravy, fried green tomatoes, & squash casserole. Meat was well prepared. Dressing, okay, not enough gravy. Fried green tomatoes, on point. Squash casserole, not so much; lacked seasoning. The best thing was the peach cobbler. Flaky crust, just the right balance between crust and peaches, well seasoned not too sweet. Service a little pressed. Had time so it was okay. Nice experience.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This restaurant seems to be a local favorite, as it was crowded on the Sunday that I visited. I was taken here when I announced to a native Georgian that I wanted to experience 'real' Southern food (as in Soul Food!). To my surprise, it was disappointing. I've had better 'soul food' in Detroit!

We waited approximately 40 minutes to be seated. They do not take reservations. Parking is available around the corner, that is if you are lucky enough to get a spot. Otherwise, you have to find a space on the streets around the restaurant.

This is a good visit for history buffs (loved the pictures and articles on the walls), and as a sit-down meal with family and friends. The food didn't seem as fresh as it could have been, but they give you plenty of it. My service was great, but it really depends on which table section you are seated in. Some servers didn't appear to be as attentive as ours. The desserts tend to be heavy on sugar.

The one plus - the restaurant is comfortably clean, not at all like a typical 'greasy spoon' where one would normally go to when eating 'soul food.' So I guess this really was a 'Southern' experience.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ok we were in Atlanta for Spring Vacation read the reviews on trip advisor which were really great reviews so I though I didn't like the food at all we ordered 3 chicken meals and 2 drinks 1 water my bill was 42.00 why I don't know because the food was not good mac&cheese was also nasty and thick sweet potatoes were not sweet chicken was ok not good just ok only good thing I can say the basket of bread was great and customer service was good.I cant speak for the people that gave this place 5 stars but for us we will give a 2-3 stars.

1  Thank T G
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The food is passable, although the veggies aren't as fresh as at other Atlanta restaurants. But the last two times our family visited Mary Mac's, someone came up and started massaging necks and backs, withOUT asking if that was okay with us. we aren't "touchy feely" types and this should be respected. It's one thing if it's offered and you say no thank you. But to just go up to patrons and start massaging them without even asking? NOT acceptable. Because of the menu variety, the history and the atmosphere, we used to go there regularly and it was our favorite place to take out-of-towners. But no more!

1  Thank PierresFamily