“Don't Expect 'Soul' Food!”

Mary Mac's Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 46 Coffee & Tea in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Midtown
Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't Expect 'Soul' Food!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This restaurant seems to be a local favorite, as it was crowded on the Sunday that I visited. I was taken here when I announced to a native Georgian that I wanted to experience 'real' Southern food (as in Soul Food!). To my surprise, it was disappointing. I've had better 'soul food' in Detroit!

We waited approximately 40 minutes to be seated. They do not take reservations. Parking is available around the corner, that is if you are lucky enough to get a spot. Otherwise, you have to find a space on the streets around the restaurant.

This is a good visit for history buffs (loved the pictures and articles on the walls), and as a sit-down meal with family and friends. The food didn't seem as fresh as it could have been, but they give you plenty of it. My service was great, but it really depends on which table section you are seated in. Some servers didn't appear to be as attentive as ours. The desserts tend to be heavy on sugar.

The one plus - the restaurant is comfortably clean, not at all like a typical 'greasy spoon' where one would normally go to when eating 'soul food.' So I guess this really was a 'Southern' experience.

Memphis, Tennessee
“First Visit to Mary Mac's”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ok we were in Atlanta for Spring Vacation read the reviews on trip advisor which were really great reviews so I though I didn't like the food at all we ordered 3 chicken meals and 2 drinks 1 water my bill was 42.00 why I don't know because the food was not good mac&cheese was also nasty and thick sweet potatoes were not sweet chicken was ok not good just ok only good thing I can say the basket of bread was great and customer service was good.I cant speak for the people that gave this place 5 stars but for us we will give a 2-3 stars.

1 Thank T G
Atlanta, Georgia
“Probably won't ever go back”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The food is passable, although the veggies aren't as fresh as at other Atlanta restaurants. But the last two times our family visited Mary Mac's, someone came up and started massaging necks and backs, withOUT asking if that was okay with us. we aren't "touchy feely" types and this should be respected. It's one thing if it's offered and you say no thank you. But to just go up to patrons and start massaging them without even asking? NOT acceptable. Because of the menu variety, the history and the atmosphere, we used to go there regularly and it was our favorite place to take out-of-towners. But no more!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank PierresFamily
Atlanta, Georgia
“The chicken crossed the road--because it wasn't in my cup!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I always leave Mary Mac's feeling...ripped off. The complimentary cinnamon (weekends only) and yeast rolls are nearly enough to lure me back. But no more!

I repeatedly order my favorite tasting entree, Chicken & Dumplings, but the kitchen repeatedly under-delivers. The portion is incredible small, that of a generous side item, and frequently lacks any respectable serving of chicken. It tends to be a small cup of gravy, chicken strings, and a few doughy dumplings.

The over-stuffed parking lot and waiting lobby dictate that I'm clearly ordering the wrong thing. The fried items seem very generously portioned (catfish, chicken, etc.). Why, oh why, can't the non-fried entrees not disappoint too?

When the check (with the ever-increasing prices comes), I swear never to return. Too bad my out-of-towner guests request it otherwise my loyalty has disappeared like the chicken in my gravy.

Mary Mac's: please rethink the dumplings cup and the ratio of what's in it!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Azua
Camden, Tennessee
“An awesome place to eat!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A truly southern experience - great southern cooking and wonderful southern hospitality. There is a great variety of food and everything we had was excellent. I had the Chicken fried chicken and it was so good. Our waiter kept bringing little extras out to us because a couple of our side items would not done. This should definitely be a must-do stop on any visit to Atlanta.