“Many people suggest to go here, but I've eaten better in a cafeteria.”

Mary Mac's Tea Room
Ranked #17 of 4,021 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had 3 people suggest I try Mary Mac's as I wanted some authentic southern cooking. So I went and brought a colleague ready to try every southern dish we could. So we went to town... we ordered the Fried Chicken and the BBQ Ribs, and each dish is served with 2 side dishes of your choice, so we had the: Brunswick Stew, Fried Green Tomatoes, Broccoli souffle and Pot Licker.
On top of this, our server knew it was my first visit, and brought some extras as she could see I was adventurous and into trying anything and everything. She made the experience so pleasant with her winning attitude, generosity, sense of humour and attentiveness- I just wish that that attention to detail carried over into the food. It lacked seasoning- every dish was bland, poorly seasoned and did not stand out in any way. Sadly,I've had better fried chicken at a cafeteria than their chicken. The portions are very large- I could not eat all of the chicken I ordered. You also fill out an order form that you hand to the server... so you order your dessert up front. I had ordered a peach cobbler, but after our dinner plates were cleared I could not eat another bite. The server had intuited this, and took the dessert off the bill, and had cancelled it in the kitchen before I could tell her to. That's what A class service is about.
So yes, go for large portions of food, but I believe there are better southern restaurants in Atlanta, that aren't famous for being famous. I would not recommend this place to any of my friends as the food was a big let down.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

While I'm sure there is better Southern fare we had a delightful time at Mary Mac's. The walls are adorned with photos and autographs which gives plenty to do if you have to wait. The portions are plentiful and there are numerous things to try. Our party of five ordered a variety so we could each try new things. The tomato pie was unique, the chicken pot pie a crowd pleaser and the chicken fried chicken better than at home. The sweet tea mixed to perfection.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Curious to try some down-home southern cooking, and too tired to do a sit-down dinner, we ordered online from the bus. Just the fact that the order was perfectly prepared, value priced, and ready when we got there was a huge plus. We had the ubiquitous southern fried chicken, with two sides, then four additional sides just to sample southern tradition. Cheesy grits, vegetable souffle, collard greens, mac & cheese, fried green tomatoes, fresh fruit, corn muffins, biscuits, and cinnamon rolls rounded-out our dining adventure for dinner and breakfast the next day. It was all delicious, inexpensive, but definitely not health food.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Friends suggested we eat there. Food was not only plentiful, it was delicious. Just good ol' southern cooking at its best. You will not leave hungry. Could not even get a dessert, because we were so full. We have eaten much more expensive meals...but not better!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place does southern food as it is meant to be: home cooked. No executive chef messing with recipes that have withstood the test of time.

First timers get a special treat.

Plenty of choices for your sides. I had to check out their Fried Green Tomatoes.