“Hit or miss” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mary Mac's Tea Room

Mary Mac's Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 102 Coffee & Tea in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I have eaten lunch at Mary Macs four times in the last few months. The first time we both got vegetable plates. Collard greens, black eyed peas, butter peas, etc. It was fine for our first visit. They skimped on the cornbread but it worked out ok. The second time I got friend chicken. It was hot, tender and juicy but lacked flavor. The third was the Chicken Pot Pie. It was excellent, big pieces of white meat chicken, a salty but well seasoned broth in the pie. This last time, I got turkey and dressing. The turkey was OK as was the dressing but what they served as gravy was nasty. It was a slimy, cornstarch type of gravy that doesn't soak into the dressing. Its more like a thick coating than a gravy. And WAY too much salt in it. I suspect it was canned. The butter peas and the okra and tomatoes were good as was my wife's vegetable plate of fried green tomatoes, fried okra, butter peas and carrot salad. I will probably go back but stay with the fresh vegetables.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Beavercreek, Ohio, United States
“Average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We visited Mary Mac's as part of our family reunion. I was really excited and was looking forward at first about having some good soul food but I was really dissapointed.. since we were part of the family reunion the staff had a small buffet with fried chicken, turkey, mac n cheese, cornbread stuffing, green breans and apple cobbler set up for us. The mac n cheese tasted too eggy and was really soggy. The cornbread stuffing was too mushy and tasteless and the cinnamon rolls which were sitting in baskets on the table were greasy and tasted like they where microwaved. The turkey, green beans and fried chicken tasted ok. The turkey came with cranberry sauce which was empty when i got to the buffet. The staff did not refill it and so i could not even to try it.. The best dish was the cobbler. We paid $ 25 per person. Too expansive for average food. I really expected something better. There were several complaints about the food in our group and I have to say I ate better soul food before. I really don't know what is all the fuss about this place. There might be good food somewhere in that place but it definately did not find its way onto our plates... The staff was friendly but we had only one waitress for 40 people....

Atlanta, Georgia
“An Atlanta landmark/experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great southern fare with a friendly atmosphere. The food was good and the staff especially attentive. This makes a great spot to eat if you will be attending an event at the Fox Theater (within walking distance)

Visited October 2011
Oregon
“An Atlanta Icon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Where else can you have lunch in the same restaurant visited by Presidents, First Ladies, civil rights leaders, movie and music celebrities, and the Dalai Lama? You must go to Mary Mac's when you're in Atlanta. I've visited Mary Mac's with my son on an earlier trip, and had to take my wife here on this trip. There's a free parking lot behind the restaurant (which I didn't know about on my earlier visit). The staff was very friendly, courteous, and attentive. We arrived shortly after 11:00 am when they opened, but noticed the place practically filled by the time we left at 12:30. The building is much larger than it appears with 5 (?) big dining rooms.

This is typical Southern food - deep fried, flavorful, and good! The sides were the most interesting - we had fried green tomatoes, fried okra, cheese grits, and sweet potato suffle (lots like a sweeter version of the Thanksgiving yams with marshmallows on top). I ordered the fried oysters and my wife had the Brunswick stew. Both extremely good and the portions very generous. The only nit picky thing I had was my sweet tea was a little TOO sweet, and I tend to like them on the sweet side. We were too full for desert, so can't comment on those.

Even with the large crowds, it wasn't as noisy as you'd expect. The tables were spaced well apart to allow for comfortable conversion.

Overall, highly recommended - unless you're on a diet.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Must eat here if you are at Atlanta!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great food and excellent service. If its your first time they give you a free small apetizer to try. The wait is not long, so not to worry.... The place is big with lots of tables. Nice history on the walls with pictures, etc.

2 Thank Mirna33126