“The best find!”

Ranked #24 of 58 Fun & Games in Atlanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went for a hungover walk one morning from The Highland Inn where I was staying and stumbled across this independent theatre. They were showing old samurai movies and I had never seen one and figured in my sensitive state, sitting in a cinema sounded like a great option. I saw Yojimbo and it was really funny. Such a cool little cinema...I was really jealous of some of their coming attractions especially the Betty Paige one. The guy at the candy bar was really friendly too. Loved the old theatre sign out the front.

1  Thank vargasgirl1984

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have seen Rocky Horror about 4 or 5 times in my life. And it has been a while since the last time. But it was Halloween weekend (11/1/2013) and we wanted to do something different. So we went to the midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Plaza Theater. OK... I admit it...I'm not as young as I used to be. So, staying up until midnight to watch a live show and a movie was a big thing for me! Actually it was for all of us in our party! But we did it and were glad we did. Tickets were $12 each, but they made it clear that profits went to support the last independent movie theater in Atlanta. Those young people who put on this live show danced, joked, and acted their way into my heart! They did an outstanding job of keeping us entertained (even during the boring parts of Rocky Horror). There were stupid but fun door prizes, special group dances by their troupe, off-colored sexual jokes, and a very funny hostess who pushed the limit on her humor (much to our pleasure and laughter). The theater was packed and everyone seemed to be having fun. However starting a show at midnight and then ending at 2:30 a.m. was a bit late...I wonder if they could start it a little earlier (11 p.m.?) for us "older" folks. If they did I wonder if they would get more people each week?? Not sure.... Anyway, thank you to the cast who worked so hard to support a worthy cause...the Plaza Theater! Good job!

7  Thank DrBillH
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

It makes such a change to walk into a cinema where there are movie posters from all decades covering the walls and where the staff members are talking excitedly about movies. I'm too used to dull walls, stale carpets and the bored staff members grunting at the floor. There was a technical glitch with the film I wanted to see so I got a free voucher and a chance to watch a free documentary which was showing. The film was so good the audience actually cheered and clapped at the end. I look forward to going back.

3  Thank mugglesworthy
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I were in Atlanta for a concert and staying down the street at the Highland Inn. We had just unpacked and decided to explore a little and get something to eat. A few blocks from the hotel we came across this theater. On the Marquee was posted "Day of the Dead" with that days date. My wife and I are big George A. Romero, zombie and horror fans in general so we thought we should check it out. Low and behold, the showing started in 10 minutes. There was a line into the theater with a couple of Zombies set up near the door for photo ops. The zombies then shuffled up and down the aisles as everyone settled in. Everyone in the place had a lot of fun that night, I believe Ghostbusters was playing that night as well. The theater itself was comfortable and beautiful with long flowing curtains and lots of red velvet that brought back many memories of what it used to feel like to go to the movies as a kid. Wikipedia states that the theater was bought out in late 2012 and that they are transitioning into a more mainstream movie venue. From our visit that just didn't seem to entirely be the case. I was surprised that this beautiful theater, with such a rich local history, had zero reviews while an AMC right down the street has 6. Theaters like this are fewer everyday and I think that this is a real shame.

4  Thank MrPoopadoopolis