New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Fat Matt's Rib Shack
Ranked #6 of 3,787 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Morningside - Lenox Park
Atlanta
“Best ribs in Atlanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Best ribs in Atlanta! It' s a small place and it's usually crowded. Don' expect an extensive menu or wine list. It's a pitcher of beer, slab o'ribs kinda place. I eat there all the time.

• 3 of 5 stars

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“RIBTASTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had some business colleagues from Japan with me in Atlanta and wanted to show them what real southern BBQ was. This place did not dissappoint!! It's a small place with excellent atmosphere, band playing was great, food was excellent. I was glad they got the real experience while in the south. I'm a born and raised southerner so I know my BBQ, and this place is the real deal!

New Orleans
“Okay but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The service was good, the place is small, and the restrooms could be better maintained. The ribs were okay, tender with a hint of smoke. The sauce left a lot to be desired, and the sides were too small.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank stone50
“All of the positive reviews are spot on... Head to Fat Matt's and get fed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews, we thought we should head to Fat Matt's for BBQ as we are always on the look out for some good que! We were not dissapointted at all in our decision! The place has a simple vibe to it, you order and sit inside or on a small covered patio, the food arrives shortly there after, and then you get to chow down! We waited in line to order, but it was worth the wait! We ordered two pulled pork sandwiches, 1/2 chix, 1/2 slab ribs, a couple of sides, 2 drinks and 2 beers for about $40!!!! And we enjoyed every bit of it! The sides, although on the smaller side, were delicious! The guys raved about the sweetness is the baked beans and I so enjoyed the Mac n cheese- warm, cheesy, and delectable! (Be warned that it had a slight spicy kick, my 8 yo did not love it!) The entrees were just real good 'ole BBQ! Delicious, fall off the bone ribs were a huge hit- the pork was devoured by my kids, and a enjoyed the moist chicken! The side cup of sauce served with the meats has a rich tangy taste and should really be used! I am glad we listened to the reviewers on Tripadvisor... This place is a great spot to have a casual easy going meal!

1 Thank Millytravels
New York City, New York
“Mmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Fat Matt's is worth the calories and the visit. Small location and very busy - a favorite for many locals. Some of the best southern barbeque I have tasted. I love a great finger licking meal. The sides were very good as well, home cooked all the way.

• Visited January 2013