“Great Rib Joint”

Fat Matt's Rib Shack
Ranked #7 of 3,948 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Morningside - Lenox Park
Pittston, PA
“Great Rib Joint”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have visited rib joints all over America, I can say without question that this one is exactly what it bills itself to be. I had a rack of ribs - Large, meaty with a thin sweet BBQ sauce that was divine. Also had some Mac n' Cheese and a pork sandwhich. THe Mac n' cheese was fantastic and the pork sandwhich was very good. Nice fountain drinks and very, very quick service.

A gem in the rib shack world to say the least.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Ribs, Fat Matt's Style - Great Experience”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

If you like ribs, BBQ-style, and you don't mind queuing, noise and what is pretty literally a shack, then Fat Matt's is a must. The windows could do with a good clean but don't let that put you off. This is also where you can act like a local, although the English accent tends to be a giveaway...but they like that, y'all!
We had a great time here. We arrived about 6.30pm, waited in a queue that quickly disappeared. It looks like you're not going to get a table for ages but many of those in front are there for takeaway ribs. We were greeted at the service counter by an ample young lady, emblazoned with tattoos, who took our order for three half racks and one full rack of ribs...there's no way I could ever eat a full rack!! We also ordered a pitcher of the local beer.
We found ourselves an empty table and sat down, only to receive a mild rebuke for not waiting to be shown to a table, by a rather formidable lady who turned out to be a real sweetie. Whilst waiting, the blues band was setting and tuning up. Incidentally, if you arrive much before 7pm, you'll miss the band of the evening and the splendid blues. I used the wait to buy a Fat Matt's baseball cap and t-shirt, which endeared us still further to the lady in charge (you wouldn't want to mess with her!). Then the photographs...and I was posted to Facebook within seconds!
Our ribs duly arrived and, blimey, they were good. I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever had better. And the beer was good too.
Fat Matt's is a great place for complete strangers to dip into the local scene, to mix with local people of all colours, size, age and political persuasion and, of course, to enjoy the best ribs ever!
We gave up our table once we'd finished, although I could have stayed longer for the music. I think we'd have been permitted to occupy our table for a while longer but the queue was now very long and the others in our party were concerned we'd be keeping people waiting unnecessarily. Needless to say, I took longer than anyone else to finish my beer (selfish, or what), but all good things have to come to an end. We made our farewells to the team and promised to be back.
What a great experience!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mike L
New York, New York, United States
“THIS is BBQ!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If I lived near this place I would have my own reserved seat! Please try them! The ribs are addictive.

• Visited May 2012
Los Angeles
“Atlanta BBQ and Blues Joint”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you want fancy, this is the wrong place. If you want tasty BBQ, family style seating and live blues, then this will more than work. You wait in line to place your order that is then brought to you at tables that are closely aligned in this smaller sized restaurant. The chicken and rib combo was fantastic, and the sides (baked beans, mac and cheese, potato salad and collard greens, were delicious.) Don't forget the sweet potato or pecan pie, and enjoy several tap beers that they serve in pitchers. Don't try to save a seat until after you have ordered and above else, enjoy. If you like quality BBQ, a cold beer and music, you'll have a great time.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Please don't believe the hype”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Yes it is a neighborhood institution, yes it's a great spot to grab some ribs and beers and listen to live jazz and yes they have pretty decent ribs but lets be clear here, this is the south and they take their bbq very seriously and sadly Fat Matt's just doesn't stack up against the big boys. So if you want the Fat Matt's experience for whatever reason then by all means go for it, you won't be disappointed, because it's pretty damn good. But don't believe the hype, this is not one of the best bbq joints in ATL. Compare it to Fox Bros or Harold's and you'll soon see the difference is significant.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank snoogle

Been to Fat Matt's Rib Shack? Share your experiences!