“I could not recommend more highly”
Review of Old Vinings Inn

Old Vinings Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Vinings Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #310 of 3,958 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Paces Mill and Paces Ferry
Description: In the quaint town of Vinings, steeped in local history, visit one of Atlanta's oldest historic sites. Our charming building dates back to the early 1800's and has been lovingly preserved to provide you with a comfortable and gracious dining experience. The Old Vinings Inn offers Southern cuisine and a carefully selected wine and cocktail list to complement and enhance our Chef's award winning creations.
Athens, GA
“I could not recommend more highly”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I visited here for a dinner shortly before Christmas 2013. In short, it was fantastic in every aspect. The valet was courteous and prompt. Once inside, we were struck by the restaurant's ambience. Quaint, but still romantic and felt like "fine dining". The service was frequent and friendly, with the server giving us several very good recommendations. For an appetizer, we had the fried green tomatoes, which were the best I've ever had. That includes many restaurants including Savannah and Athens. For mains, my wife had a tuna special that she enjoyed very much. I was deciding between the veal & short rib meatloaf and the braised short ribs. I asked the server to help me decide and she pointed me toward the meatloaf - the cheaper of the two dishes. She was right. Meatloaf does not do this dish justice. It is really fantastic. For dessert, we split the carrot cake which was sweet and delicious, but not overdone.

To top off the wonderful experience, we went to the attic bar upstairs and had a drink and watched live music (which you, amazingly, cannot really even hear until you're up there, so it does not interrupt your quiet dining experience at all).

And, when we thought the service could not improve, we received a handwritten card thanking us for coming in the mail about a week later. We immediately made reservations for Valentine's Day at Old Vinings Inn, about 6 weeks out.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Not as good as it used to be...”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We used to love going to Old Vinings Inn for dinner on occasion, but do not go there anymore. The past 2 times we have been, my steak has been of poor quality and just felt everything was lacking the quality (including the service) it used to be, minus the dessert. We would love to come back if things were how they used to be, but to us for lesser quality and paying a decent price, it's not worth it to us anymore. Bummer, because we live in Vinings and like staying local and it's such a cute place.

• Visited September 2013
dlatl, Owner at Old Vinings Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your dining experience. I appreciate the sincere feedback and regret that our food and service didn't wow you. I invite you to contact me directly at the restaurant (770-438-2282 or lee@oldviningsinn.net) to share the specifics of your visits so that I can use that information for improvement.
Since purchasing the Old Vinings Inn, I have made every effort to preserve the charm and history while bringing the operational standards to a level that is competitive with other restaurants in Atlanta at a similar price point. We have taken many steps, such as daily tasting/checking of all menu items, to ensure that we are consistently serving high quality products. We have also taken the same steps with service, such as service, wine, and food training classes.
So far, the majority of the feedback received from guests at the restaurant has been positive and we are seeing much more neighborhood traffic and sales then before my purchase. I also recognize that there is always an opportunity to improve and welcome the feedback.
McDonough, Georgia
“Cool place”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Went there last night with a group of 8. Had a reservations and walked right in although the place was not crowded at all. Our waiter was very attentive and the food came out very quickly. Even the owner came over to check on us. The food was good. I had the filet and the potato gratin was really good. Husband had the pork chop and he said it was good- considering only the bone was left I guess it was! Went upstairs for the entertainment and it was really crowded there so we found a small room with a fireplace. All in all a great little place.

Smyrna
“Great for Brunch”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had not been for quite a while but went for a nice Saturday Brunch with a good friend. We both had Bloody Marys and the fantastic Shrimp and Grits. Excellent. Michael, our server, was very good, attentive, but not smothering. The atmosphere is still wonderful and the new owner came by to talk to us and was very welcoming. The valet was very professional and brought us our keys to the table as we closed the place! Wish we did not have to pay $4.00 for bread!

Will definitely be back soon.

Homewood, Alabama
“Never Again. Never.”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Went here for Thanksgiving Buffet. What a terrible experience, particularly when we were so hopeful and excited when we walked in. The topper was when we were asked to leave after being there for just an hour (for a Holiday buffet) because a larger party was coming, despite us being on time for our reservation. Who books a reservation for only one hour?! To add insult to injury, we were offered a cocktail at another table when we were asked to move; we requested the cocktail and it NEVER came.
Moreover, we were charged for soft drinks (at a buffet!), and a 25% gratuity was added to our check for a party of three (again, at a buffet!).
The food was lousy--turkey tough and salty, little variety, and not hot. The restaurant ran out of white meat turkey, as well--at 2:30 in the afternoon.
We will never, ever go there again. What a shame such a cute venue harbors such lousy service and food.

• Visited November 2013
dlatl, Owner at Old Vinings Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us this valuable feedback. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience. I have taken this feedback as well as the information your party has provided on OpenTable, Facebook, and through our web site to improve the food and service we will deliver next Thanksgiving and moving forward. I have reached out to the other guests in your party as well to express our apologies. I deeply regret that we upset your group so much and please know that we would have gone to any lengths to make you all happy if these sentiments would have been expressed when we spoke while you were here. Please feel free to reach me at the restaurant or through the web site.