“Love this restaurant”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Virginia Highland
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Java Jive is created out of a former laundomat, and it has great authentic 50s and 60s tables, lamps, signs and appliances. The service is prompt and friendly, and the owners are there at the restaurant cooking. The dishes are tasty, the biscuits excellent, and the coffee that they blend and brew is very pleasing.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had never heard of this small diner until a friend took me there for brunch. Yummy food and good service, and the decor includes a collection of old toasters. Apparently this place is only known to locals, but it's well worth searching for. Near the Candler Park neighborhood, not far from Downtown.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We really enjoy a late breakfast and eat out at least twice weekly. While our favorite time in JJ is weekdays late mornings as we have no wait for a table and enjoy prompt service. Love retro ambiance right down to the choice of background music. The menu is not large but varied enough for most breakfast lovers. Great coffee, biscuits and pancakes. Above average omelets - my choice is the white greek omelet with a side of grits. Always have had great service.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Why this place is so highly rated I don't know. Third visit today. First two visits were fun and fine but today was the last.

I live in the neighborhood and had found the place kind of light and fun before but after today I'll be checking the many other places nearby to aim to fine a more customer-friendly and just friendly attitude.

On an earlier visit, I met one of the owners/managers who was happy and friendly and that's one of the reasons for a return visit. The two staffpersons I encountered today were strongly opposite in their manner with me, and my colleague...who even remarked "what's this about?"

I was surprised, really, by the mildly aloof hostess citing "policy" when I asked if I could be seated at an open table while my colleague [who I had encouraged to meet at JJ] was on their way. Hey, I've been at busy restaurants before in my 45 years of out and about adulthood and know about waiting! I felt "instructed" as if I'd been bad to ask!

Later when ordering, when asking for eggs I was informed, in a manner that I think would be felt as rude buy most any restaurant customer, that there was an ala carte area and I could order from that.

Breakfast served was OK but portions artsy-fartsy small. Maybe I'm wrong but food costs are a small part of running a restaurant and serving small at breakfast to me is a false economy...Coffee was good and carried a fancy restaurant price.

They were busy and have been voted tops by many. JJ has unique and fun decor and a waiting area that I enjoy being in. Not tops by today's service and routine food. I felt sort of almost punished for being there and that's bad in a restaurant!

It's just a local neighborhood eatery and not a fancy place...maybe I'm being too harsh...still I felt insulted and angry with the greeting and service attitude.

If I were in a small town and this was one of the few places to go, I'd go back...ATL is a big place with lots of choices...Sorry JJ.

Reviewed February 7, 2010

Get the smoked sammon scrambled eggs !!