“Great food, smells odd!”
Review of Buckhead Diner

Buckhead Diner
Reserve with OpenTable
Buckhead Diner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 4,000 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Peachtree
Description: Buckhead Diner is an American dining experience unlike any other. Inventive and long-time favorite menu items, snappy service, upscale atmosphere and retro style give this Atlanta icon a funky flair all its own. The fun menu and energy-packed atmosphere give guests a taste of nostalgia that’s always in style.
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Had a very nice dinner with my husband. Food was great, ceviche really fresh. My only complaint was the smell of the restaurant was almost bait shop-ish and it could have been a little cleaner.

1  Thank nahughes

Reviewed May 27, 2014

first impressions are everything and it started out with a very cold reception from the hostess. I even had an opentable reservation. Unengaged server who couldn't serve up a smile. New menu that is missing some of our favorites. Mediocre food - not bad but not great. Not the buckhead diner I've know for over 15 years. The atmosphere was still elegant and upbeat - that was the only saving grace. Won't be coming back for awhile.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We had intended on eating at another restaurant that night in Buckhead but it occurred to us that none of the menu options there checked all of our boxes. We OpenTable'd a reservation for fifteen minutes later and went on our way to the Buckhead Diner. When we arrived, we were really surprised to see that the restaurant more or less requires valet parking - at a fee. We entered the restaurant and were seated almost immediately. The diner is dated as a diner would and had a light stench - it didn't lead me to have high expectations. Their fixed price menu had a few items on there of interest - I ordered their nut and blue cheese salad, their hanger steak and the coffee cake. The salad had a sweet dressing, pistachios, spinach, and a pear - the pear was great but everything else was generic. The steak was delicious and was served with what appears to be a spear of potato that was covered in cheese and then fried; both the potato and the steak exceeded my expectations and were all around excellent. After I attempted and failed to eat the steak, the last course was a coffee cake with creme fraiche - simply delicious. Our sever was attentive and the staff (including the manager) really seemed to care about our experience. After we ate, I asked if the $2 valet fee could be paid via credit card as we don't carry cash anymore, let alone small amounts. About four minutes later, their manager came over and handed us a card that took care of both the valet fee and their gratuity. It was a really nice gesture and we really did have a great experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I started going to Buckhead Diner seven years ago. This place is one of my favorite restaurants (I literally repeated this statement to my wife prior to getting our food Saturday night). We have never had a bad service or meal here. Surprisingly we haven't been to Buckhead Diner in a few months. Their menu has changed and I'm not sure if it is due to having a new chef. Some things were removed and added. With that being said I decided to order the Trout and substituted for sweet potatoes. The Trout was cooked perfect but was tasteless. Literally zero flavor to it. A little S&P goes a long way. The sweet potatoes which used to be one of my favorite times at this restaurant was HORRIBLE. It had a very tart, strange flavor to it. I order sweet potatoes every time I visit the restaurant, this was my first bad experience. Overall the dish had no flavor and I left extremely disappointed. Especially considering I was just raving about this place about 10 minutes prior to receiving the dish, and I recommended to a friend just last week that this place is very consistent with food quality. I have noticed a few other reviews from loyal patrons and they have noticed a slippage in food quality also. I hope this isn't the downfall of Buckhead Diner. I don't intend to revisit anytime soon, perhaps I will let another several months pass before I give it another try. Service is always good, my server was a little bit pushy on desserts (especially on dessert) and drinks which I never experienced before at the restaurant but he was nice still and received a 30% tip just because this is my favorite restaurant..though the food definitely didn't warrant it.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We've been going to the Buckhead Diner since it opened over 25 years ago in 1987. Once the haunt of many celebrities, the walls were covered with their photos. The celebrities are gone now, as are the photos, but the place continues to offer decent cuisine and crisp service. This time we enjoyed gravlax, calamari, hanger steak, and crème brûlée for deserts. The menu is broad, with lots of options, and a good place for families, including younger kids. This is not a go-to place for superb cuisine, but they continue to do a good job of serving appetizing meals.