“Delightful Dinner”

McKendrick's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
McKendrick's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 4,310 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: I 285
Transit: MARTA – Perimeter Mall
Description: One of the original great Steakhouses of North America.
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Excellent meal. I had a medium bone in rib eye steak(cooked just right) , lobster mac n cheese(actually had chunks of lobster in it), and spinach with garlic. Wait staff was knowledgeable, service was great, and decor was nice. Very comfortable environment

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

So disappointed. This used to be a favorite place when we lived in Atlanta. Came from out of state for an important business meeting. Service was mediocre at best and food was not up to standard. They used to be on same level as Capital Grill, Bones and Chops. Not anymore. Server never checked back to see how each course tasted, no coffee refills, and had to chase her down for the check. Plus they sat a table with 4 children under the age of 5 right next to us when we specifically asked for a quiet booth. Won't be back.

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Came to McKendricks for an early dinner with my mom. Ambiance upon entry was nice, very comfortably but dimly lit to give a romantic air but not dark enough to make it difficult to see your companion and make small talk. We virtually had the restaurant to ourselves as we dine quite early which made the experience all the more enjoyable. They played a nice collection of classic oldies up to 80s music which gave the restaurant a more comfortable vibe then strictly elegant and fine dress. (Dress code is business casual). Waiter was cordial, well groomed, and uniform nicely pressed. This made me like the place even more as I have been to some fine dining establishments in which the staff are unkempt and it diminishes the feel and ambiance of the restaurant entirely. He answered questions did not rush us and was assisted by others who also were cordial. Another good thing to note they bring you a delicious variety of bread which can be refilled upon request!!! Shared the NY strip steak with my mom, medium well, with lobster Mac and cheese. The steak was cooked to perfection with a warm slightly pink center, edges were not burnt but crisp. Additional flavoring was minimal as it was not necessary as the steak was cooked in such a fine manner that the natural elements of the steak were brought to the forefront creating a delicious and succulent meal. The lobster Mac and cheese had a generous portion of lobster within and was cheesy warm and all deliciousness. We also had two salads which in retrospect we would probably leave that out or the appetizer not because it was by any means not good but because there was so much food and we were stuffed beyond recognition by the end of the meal. If you want a well cooked steak then I would not hesitate to recommend McKendricks and will be back in the future.

Date of visit: July 2018
carol c, Manager at McKendrick's Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Thanks for the great feedback and 5-star rating! Providing a great atmosphere and delicious food for every customer is our aim at McKendrick's Steak House. We appreciate all your support and look forward to seeing you and your mom again.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

As many other reviewers have stated, we certainly don't mind paying a premium price if the product is premium. Neither my husband nor I felt that the food was premium here. I agree w/the other reviewer that there are just too many other GREAT steak places in Atl to go here and pay these prices. Everything is presented as such, however it just doesn't meet the mark. Bread was only o.k. - definitely not great. We split the spinach salad to start and it was ok - had a warm bacon vinegarette which you never see anymore, however it was far too heavy on the oil. Husband got the bone-in filet at $59...no seasoning at all. Good size - ordered medium - it was a little red inside but he ate it. For me, it was way too charred and the server did explain the char so I guess my husband was o.k. with it. The server did explain that it could have less char and I would definitely suggest that if you don't like char. I got the mac n cheese w/lobster added $18. It was good: very creamy & great panko crust w/decent pieces of lobster...my only complaint is that one of the cheeses (he said there were 4) made it have a kind of "tangy" tasting...not smooth (from a taste standpoint, not texture -the texture was great, smooth & creamy). The mac n cheese is actually a side but he mentioned it could be ordered as a main w/4 oz. of lobster added. It was a good size if you aren't a huge portion eater which I am not. So if you like tangy cheeses, this would be perfect. We got the creamed corn as a side: I actually loved it - best part of the meal! It wasn't creamy in the traditional sense, e.g. thicker and sweet. I HATE sweet creamed corn so I am glad is wasn't sweet - only sweet from the sweetness of the corn. I prefer savory. It had bacon and scallions...the fat was not rendered out of the bacon - big pet peeve....but the pieces were diced so finely that it was tolerable. We were celebrating our anniversary which we mentioned so they gave us a free cheesecake for dessert. It was good and very nice that they did this! They had decent priced wine - $9-$10...I absolutely hate it when the only options are $12-$20...so they get kudos here on a good selection for all price points. They were playing some funky music which we asked our server about and it was Sirius. We loved it though my husband did comment that it was pretty funky for this old school kind of steak house :) The service was excellent so a hit there. I just think the steak was a miss with no seasoning - or maybe it was just charred off! The bread should be changed - they should have hand-made little rolls, not bread that looks like "loaf" bread. Not sure if the bacon dressing was just a miss on the batch or if that is the recipe, but if it is, needs more vinegar and way less oil and more emulsifier. I would take out the tangy cheese and add cream cheese for the mac n cheese. Capital Grille is far superior, Ruth's Chris and Stoney River are also better. To us, this is like Flemings - overpriced for what you get. I would not be interested in going here again unless someone else paid for it.

Reviewed July 13, 2018

We began with cocktails and they were poured perfectly. That's not a given everywhere especially when you drink very special drink so kudos begin there. My steak was cooked just right and the Au Gratin potatoes were just yummy!! Treat yourself with a visit. The service was amazing too, we can't forget that part!

Date of visit: December 2017

Been to McKendrick's Steak House? Share your experiences!