“Beyond all expectations”
Review of Restaurant Eugene

Restaurant Eugene
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Eugene is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 4,031 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Peachtree Memorial
Description: Each evening, award-winning Chef Linton Hopkins and wife Gina welcome diners to savor an ever-changing menu that highlights Georgia's purest, locally grown produce and naturally raised meats. The inspired, New American cuisine is lovingly prepared with a southern accent and served with gracious hospitality. Each detail--from the hearth-baked bread to the pickled peaches to the Charcuterie - is made in-house. Indulge in a bottle from the meticulously selected wine list, or join us at the bar for a hand-crafted libation from our nationally recognized cocktail menu. Restaurant Eugene has been a winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2005. Chef Hopkins is a two time James Beard Nominee and was chosen as one of Food & Wine Magazine's 2009 Best New Chefs.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We got married last week. Having just moved to Atlanta from the UK, we decided that having a small wedding (very small - just the two of us) would be more romantic and a lot less stressful and expensive than planning a big wedding back at home. So with it being a special occasion, we were looking for a very special restaurant, and Eugene came highly recommended. I have to say that the whole experience, from the service, to the food, to the atmosphere was absolutely perfect.

When we made our reservation online at their website (which is really convenient by the way) we added a short note to let them know that it was a special occasion, and that we were getting married that afternoon. Well, I'm so glad we did because they certainly pulled out all the stops to make the evening special for us. They reserved what I would say was the best table in the house. When we first arrived, we were warmly congratulated and were each given a complimentary glass of champagne and personalised menus with our names and the date printed on the front - such a nice touch!

We ordered the 5 course tasting menu, and opted for the accompanying wine pairings. The food was excellent. The courses were the perfect size so that you felt like you had a big enough portion to enable you to appreciate each course, but small enough so that you could finish each course and still make it to the end of the meal. In addition to the 5 courses there were also canapés at the beginning of the meal, palate cleansers between courses, and specially selected breads to accompany the meal. I won't write too much about the menu itself because it's available on their website and I would say that it speaks for itself, but what I will say is that the food was absolutely fantastic. Each course was successfully creative without being pretentious, and everything tasted beautiful. The wine pairings were also great and very well selected. It was really nice to try different wines to compliment each course, rather than having to choose just one bottle, and this added to the fun of the 'I can't wait to see what's next' tasting menu experience. The only course that we weren't absolutely blown away with was the dessert. It was a sweet potato eclair, which sounded really interesting but it didn't really work for us unfortunately. I think this was more down to a personal preference though, as we always opt for something light and tart at the end of a large meal and would have preferred some sort of sour fruit based dessert. The sweet potato eclair was more a sweet/salty combination which I know is very popular here in the states. Though it wouldn't have been our first choice, we still enjoyed it, and after we had finished with the eclair we were brought another plate of sweets, which had the light, sweet/sour flavour that we were looking for.

The service was absolutely brilliant. The waiting staff do an excellent job of finding the right balance so that they are helpful and there when you need them, but also give you privacy to enjoy your evening. All of the drinks and courses were timed perfectly, we never felt rushed (even though it was a busy Friday evening) and we were never left wondering where our next course was. I think, all in all, it took us about 3 hours to make our way through all of the courses and extra gifts from the chef. Whenever something new was brought to the table, the waiters did a really great job of describing the components of the dish, and the accompanying wine, even giving recommendations from the chef on how best to enjoy it (do you eat it all at once, or work from one side to the other). We had mentioned to one of the waiters that we had just moved to the area and had been a bit disappointed by the other restaurants we had tried (I have found that here in Atlanta, mid range restaurants are often just fast food with table service)
and at the end of the meal, he gave us a list of mid range restaurants in the local area that we might enjoy. Can't wait to try them out!

The atmosphere was great and I would say that it is perfect for a special occasion. If you are making a reservation for a birthday/anniversary/wedding etc, be sure to let the restaurant know because they will go out of their way to make the service personal. As well as special occasions, I would also recommend the restaurant as a great place to impress on a date, or for an important business meal. The dress code is smart/casual - smart. You wouldn't be out of place in either smart jeans and a shirt/blouse, or in a suit/cocktail dress.

The tasting menu was $85 per person, with an extra $55 if you would like the wine parings with each course. Though this is far more than we would usually spend at a restaurant, I would say that it was very good value for money. You definitely get what you pay for and more. We've already decided that we will go back for our anniversary next year (then again...my husbands Birthday is in a few weeks time :D)

Finally, I would just like to say a big thankyou to the staff at Restaurant Eugene for making our evening so special

Reviewed February 2, 2013

When dining at the Eugene - expect complex and delicious tastes. The bar menus were more complex than some restaurants' food menu. The drinks were great.

The food on the menus was just as complex. We each ordered what we wanted - and the red snapper and the ribeye were great. The mushrooms served with the steak were probably my favorite. We ordered a vegetarian platter to serve as veggies for sides for out group. And the mustard greens, the rutabagas, and the beets were all fantastic....and each had its own taste....you could tell that they were not just cooked in a pot all together.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Restaurant Eugene for a quiet, special birthday celebration. I had received an enthusiastic recommendation from a friend, but was almost dissuaded from going by the few pretty negative reviews indicating that perhaps the restaurant was slipping. I knew it would be very expensive, and wasn't sure I wanted to take the chance.

Well, I'm so glad that I decided to go with my friend's recommendation! This restaurant is exquisite in every way, from the call the day before our visit to confirm our reservation and check on any food allergies to the last delicious morsels of our fabulous three hour meal! And don't think that the meal was three hours because there was anything wrong with the service: on the contrary, the service was fantastic, personable, and attentive without any hint of rushing us. We were encouraged to take our time throughout the time there, whether it was perusing the menu or the wine list or the dessert and cheese menu, or savoring the delectable and unique creations rendered by the kitchen.

Yes, you will spend money here. If you check out the menu online, you already know that. If you aren't prepared to do so, choose a different restaurant. If you are prepared to do so, prepare also to get your money's worth. Have the bartender create a "mocktail" for the designated driver in the group. Take a chance and order something you've never seen or heard of before. Whatever you're thinking, it will be different from what you expect anyway! That's the chef's creativity. Let your waiter recommend a few cheeses for a cheese course before dessert. Relax and let your senses enjoy the unusual tastes, textures, and low-key ambiance - where you can even have a quiet conversation and hear each other! Indulge yourself! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Went a few years ago and wasn’t super impressed. Not this time!! Blown away! Of course you have to get the tasting menu with the paired wine. What better way to learn about food and wine. So what did we learn?? We learned that this is indeed a masterful chef and a very well run restaurant. Our waitperson, Clay was the best ever. The rest of the staff was just as attentive. In fact we were really kind of blown away by the whole group. Now food...each course was an adventure. Such beautiful servings, so yummy. Oh if only I had a centrifuge at home to make all those powders. Na gonna happen. Anywho, stunning stunning stunning. However, there were two items of note that were incongruous with the meticulous service and reputation. First, the tables were set with tablecloths and just a small votive. Call it personal taste but it appeared very sterile. Décor is getting a little dated….jazzing up the tables with flowers or even a napkin would go a long way. Second item, at times we waited for stuff. We got our first course, had silverware but no napkin. Wine was served late with more than one course. That was a little bothersome. Forget the bare tables…fix the other thing and there's not one darn thing to complain about.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

For my birthday, my husband and I dined at Restaurant Eugene and it was outstanding. We started at the bar; I had a specialty cocktail and he had champagne. My drink was a layered sensory experience which brought appreciation to a cocktail that one might normally associate with wine. We both chose the chef's tasting menu. At times the portion size reminded us of Gunther Seeger (famed Atlanta chef from the Ritz-Carlton Buckead which we loved, and his own subsequent restaurant which never caught on with us...), but that was nit-picking. It was delicious. We just wanted more of it. The genius of serving enough within a course to satisfy, yet leave the diner refreshed for the next course must be carefully balanced. We never felt hurried OR forgotten. Our questions about the wine list were answered with expertise to the nuances of each vintage and the wine we chose we enjoyed immensely. The dining room is classic contemporary with a monochromatic grey tone, which when the evening progresses, doesn't distract from the experience of the food. I highly recommend Restaurant Eugene as a quintessential Atlanta top tier dining experience.