“Outstanding.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Eugene

Restaurant Eugene
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Eugene is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #208 of 3,906 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Peachtree Memorial
Description: Each evening, award-winning Chef Linton Hopkins and wife Gina welcome diners to savor an ever-changing menu that highlights Georgia's purest, locally grown produce and naturally raised meats. The inspired, New American cuisine is lovingly prepared with a southern accent and served with gracious hospitality. Each detail--from the hearth-baked bread to the pickled peaches to the Charcuterie - is made in-house. Indulge in a bottle from the meticulously selected wine list, or join us at the bar for a hand-crafted libation from our nationally recognized cocktail menu. Restaurant Eugene has been a winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2005. Chef Hopkins is a two time James Beard Nominee and was chosen as one of Food & Wine Magazine's 2009 Best New Chefs.
LaGrange, Georgia, USA
“Outstanding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

For my birthday, my husband and I dined at Restaurant Eugene and it was outstanding. We started at the bar; I had a specialty cocktail and he had champagne. My drink was a layered sensory experience which brought appreciation to a cocktail that one might normally associate with wine. We both chose the chef's tasting menu. At times the portion size reminded us of Gunther Seeger (famed Atlanta chef from the Ritz-Carlton Buckead which we loved, and his own subsequent restaurant which never caught on with us...), but that was nit-picking. It was delicious. We just wanted more of it. The genius of serving enough within a course to satisfy, yet leave the diner refreshed for the next course must be carefully balanced. We never felt hurried OR forgotten. Our questions about the wine list were answered with expertise to the nuances of each vintage and the wine we chose we enjoyed immensely. The dining room is classic contemporary with a monochromatic grey tone, which when the evening progresses, doesn't distract from the experience of the food. I highly recommend Restaurant Eugene as a quintessential Atlanta top tier dining experience.

• Visited December 2012

Newnan, Georgia
“One of if not the top restaurant in Atlanta.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

The menu has an fascinating organization. Each section---fish, vegetables, meat, has several tasting-size items as well as a few main course-sized items. It is simple to mix and match.

Restaurant Eugene, on Peachtree in south Buckhead, is of the best restaurants in the country. Chef Linton Hopkins has been nominated for a James Beard Award and his Southern-inspired cuisine has received wide attention. My wife and I happened to have our anniversary in October and decided Eugene was the choice. We decided to try the tasting menu along with wine pairing. The wait staff was extremely attentive, yet understood our reason for dining. The five course meal was exceptional and actually consisted of several extra items from the chef. I could write a chapter on all of the intricate details of each dish, however you must go to really experience this great Atlanta restaurant.

Marietta, Ga.
“A little pricey but worth it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our dining experience was wonderful. The menu was all ingredients from local
farms and each mouthful was a culinary treat. Just know that it is going to be
more expensive. The restaurant is small but very tastefully decorated. We never felt
rushed or pushed to relinquish our table.

• Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not What It Once Was”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been dining at Eugene since they first opened. I remember the very first dish I tasted here, one that would make me a lifelong customer, a tower of crab special, consisting of three different preparations including a crispy soft shell stacked on lump crab and a perfect crab cake in some delicious emulsion that was absolutely unforgettable. Ever since then I have been coming for special occasions....their 007 New Years celebrations with French bands, Thursday cheese tastings, Valentines, etc. Most have been quite amazing, however recently it seems to have lost the luster it once had. Valentine's this year was when I began to take notice. The food was fine, but not what it was.

You didn't leave with that 'wow I wish I could have one more bite of that!' When Greg was there it was like nothing else, now Jeff the incredible sommilier/wine director is no longer there full time, along with Linton tending to many of his other ventures....as is many of the other great staff that made the experience memorable. It is still quite good, but I just wish it could return to being more special, like it once was.....hopefully it can.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Alabama
“Chef's Menu; It's Everyone or No one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I love a good fine dining experience; but when the server has to explain how the menus work, I'm already tired before I get started. You can order from the "regular" menu, or the "chef's tasting" menu. The chef's tasting menu is $85 per person for 5 courses - and requires that everyone at the table do it. It's everyone, or no one. I'm not comfortable feeling obliged to eat the same food because others at my table want it. Right after the server explained the two menus, he begins to give his personal recommendations, "let me tell you my favorites."

Maybe the rest of my experience was gauged by the first few minutes, but I really don't care what the server prefers to eat, or being obliged to order what fellow diners order. There were 4 people at our table, and luckily 3 of us didn't want 5 courses of the chef's choosing.

Our orders: 2 duck, 1 crab cake, 1 chicken and rice. We enjoyed the food and dining with our friends, but we could have done that most anywhere. I rate Restaurant Eugene Very Good, because to me it isn't Average, nor is it Excellent. Because the chef is a James Beard Award recipient, maybe diners feel they've had a royal dining experience - I didn't feel it.

• Visited September 2012