“New Cooks and New Staff Way better from last time.”
Review of Machu Picchu - CLOSED

Machu Picchu
Cuisines: Latin, South American
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Cooks and New Staff Way better from last time.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Brand new experience, have to say, they have redeemed themselves in terms of service and food. But a little background...

I first went to Panahar Bangladeshi and Indian Cuisine off of Buford Highway and one day as I was leaving, I saw this little quaint Peruvian restaurant. I came in and it was full of both American and a Latin Americans. Looked at the menu and looked like great peruvian food.

Two weeks later on a extended lunch I went there for food. I had their lunch special. When I was there first the waiter was on his phone when we walked in and waved at us to sit down anywhere. We waited till he got off the phone. He was chewing a piece of bread or something as he walked to us. He took our order but didnt speak much English. We got the chicken soup with the Aji de Gallina. It was a pretty simple dish. Food was bland and waiter was terrible. Did bring bread on time. Didn't give me my Aji sauce either. Overall was terrible. Didn't want to go back. I know Peruvian food because I lived in Lima for a few months.

Fast foward last week. My friend from out of town came back to visit Atlanta and he wanted to get food from Machu Picchu. I was totally not excited. I actually argued about going to Panahar. But he insisted that it was good. So I decided to go. When we got there I found it to be suprisingly busy. 50% - HIspanic crowd in large groups, 25% hipsters eating ceviche and other 25% Upper class buckhead crowd.

Our waiter came out and greeted us in Spanish and seated us. He brouhgt out our menus and our silverware. It was a group of four of us eating and my friend is Nicaraguan and knew what he wanted off the bat. He got the the Ceviche Mixto. Combination of All fish and shrimp. It was good but not like the ones from Lima. I told my Nicaraguan friend and he explained that this restaurant is Northern Coast Peruvian food. It has heavy influences of Japanese, African, Indiginous and Western culture. And this restuarant is Authentic *HOMEMADE* food. It's not so commercialized like in Lima they add starches and other ingredients to give it that sweeter tastes. Each region of Peru cooks different. The owners are half Japanese and Half Peruvian.

That's when I realized that the fish itself wasn't bitter and was awesome with the onions. We even drank the juice that was left over. I didn't know what to order because I wasn't crazy about the chicken. My waiter recomended I ordered the Lomo al Pobre. Huge plate with a nice portion of meat and eggs, get them well done. It was amazing. It literally tasted like something someone made at their house. It felt healthy. That's why there were so many Hispanic people eating there. The Crema Volteada is the bomb! Mt friend had the Jalea Mixta. The Large portion is HUGE! It can feed four people! Very homemade taste.

Though the order took a while to come out, it was very worth the wait because at least the waiter was kind to keep us stocked with bread. And the Tasty Aji sauce.

They have won me again I will go back. Remember dont expect fine dinning, more of a authentic home feel. Cant wait to eat more.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Emily K

Atlanta, Georgia
“I've never experienced worse”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I really wanted to like this hole-in-the-wall experience, but I honestly cannot understand why anyone would ever enjoy this restaurant.

In planning a trip to hike Machu Picchu, our group chose this restaurant as a place to hold our pre-planning meetings. Despite advanced notice of our arrival and a limited menu, this restaurant managed to get everything wrong every single time.

I won't go into the intricate details, but there were many. There was only one waiter for our group of about 20. On the last visit, it took one hour before we were asked about drinks. We placed our order for food shortly thereafter. It arrived 2.5 hours later. No joke. What did I order? A bowl of soup.

The timing was considerably messed up, as well. I got my soup 2.5 hours after ordering, but a few of the other people with me waited almost 3 hours before they got theirs. Our meeting was long over and we were all wanting to just pay the bill and leave (without food) but then our waiter started showing up with a dish here and a dish there.

On top of the horrendous attempt at service, the food was not at all authentic and was bland beyond words.

I would never go here again and could not at all recommend this place to anyone. There are a lot of amazing restaurants along Buford highway. It's a shame this isn't one of them.

• Visited March 2013
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“not Peruvian food taste !!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

it was awful, the food was expensive, the portions were small, not the real flavor and it tasted like leftovers, it was not fresh tasteing. and my tummy hurt, Peruvian food is awesome! we are champions in flavor in south America , and one of the best in the world.
This food does not meet the standard.however some decoration was nice but the bathroom was not clean.

• Visited January 2013
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Not as expected”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The chicha morada was not very good. It was ok. The amount of food is not enough for the price. Cebiche was terrible. Bad flavor, fish was not good. Lemon juice has water and taste bad.Calamares were ok, not the best ,but the portion was small for the price paid. The country chicken or apanado de pollo was good.La papa a la huancaina was very good. The dessert arroz con leche y mazamorra were ok. Service was ok.

Visited October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not what I expected....not authentic flavor.”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We visited this place on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm, only two other tables were occupied. We ordered the Lunch Menu, which includes a soup or an appetizer, an entree and sweet ice tea for $8.75. I had the Sopa de Pollo (Chicken Soup) and Chaufa with Beef as an Entree. My husband had an Empanada de Res (Beef Turnover) as Appetizer and Chaufa with Beef as Entree. We were completely disappointed, there was no flavor. I do not think we will go back.

• Visited August 2012