“Bland and overpriced”

Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland and overpriced”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our experience was much different from most of the other reviews. The meal would have been fine--good, not great--if we hadn't paid $100 per person. As it was, we found the sauces bland, and some of the courses, such as the pork belly, to be fine on presentation but lacking in taste. The salmon entree was good, but a very small portion for the price. The tenderloin steak was excellent, but that was the only standout. The deserts were a major disappointment--not enough of any one item for four people to taste, and nothing unique.
The service was excellent.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Les C

Sugar Hill, GA
“Fabulous place!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The food is great and so is the wine! I love the tea's as well. Not a place for children. You will need to reserve well in advance. The staff is attentive. It's a great place for a romantic dinner.

• Visited February 2012
New York City, New York
“Excellent Tasting Menu”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Whenever I research a restaurant or hotel on TripAdvisor, I like to read the 1 star reviews as much as I do the 5 star ones (especially if a spot is otherwise highly rated) I like to see if they have any substance to them or if it was just an isolated experience. Because lets be honest, even the best of the best cannot be perfect all the time; maybe half your staff is out sick with the flu that day, or maybe your shipment of fresh produce didn't arrive and you had to improvise the menu, its often just bad luck or timing.

So having dined at the Woodfire Grill a couple times now and enjoying it immensely I was interested to see what these one-star reviews were all about. How may I sum them up in a single word? Moronic? Ignorant? Clueless? One word will not suffice, lets go with 'All the above' Lets just say most of the reviews whine about small portions for the tasting menu (one guy's choice comment was 'I would recommend a bottle of Silver Oak Sonoma 1997 and 2 Varsity Chili Dogs instead' -lol)...Come now, that's why it's called a 'tasting' menu people, not a 'stuff your fat face till it falls out of your mouth' menu. If you want to strap on the feed bag and gobble your food without chewing/savoring it then go to your nearest Cracklebarrel, because this place isn't for you and never will be.. If you love great food though, and enjoy having your taste buds challenged and seduced then read on.

I can't fully speak to regular menu because I've always done the tasting menu, but let me put it this way, its all very very good and from what I saw of the entrees that other diners were being served it all looked delicious. I love that the tasting menu is delicious and surprising (they bring out each course as a surprise, so you never know what to expect!) It makes for a fun and and engaging process and because their tasting menu is ever changing and evolving its always fun, especially with a group. The finesse and attention to detail with the flavors of these dishes is really remarkable and I give full marks to the kitchen for the great food that comes out of there. If you want to eat well in Atlanta I highly recommend this place.

• Visited January 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Top notch service - great for special occasion”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went for our anniversary at 6pm on a Saturday night. We made reservations at Open Table and simply noted "Anniversary" on our reservation. From the free valet parking, to all three hosts/hostesses, the food runner and our server - exceptional service. ALL of them kept wishing us a happy anniversary. The restaurant atmosphere is romantic. The bread and biscuits with herb butter were delish. I had a glass of Pinot Noir. We both had the parsnip soup (my mouth waters just typing that). I had the scallop as the soup was a large bowl and plenty for me. My husband had the beef striploin and loved every bite of it. We got the toffee dessert - do yourself a favor and share this with your date. Then, I had a decaf coffee and they brought us some complimentary strawberry squares for the end of the meal. They said our dessert was on the house for our anniversary, after we ate it. Total $92. Not bad for an excellent meal, with excellent service. Highly recommend to all. Impressive.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank ILLV
Denver
“tasty treats, great atmosphere, a little less on value”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great food, gorgeous space, and very attentive staff. Housemade cocktails were specTACular, and inventive. My fish was dry and overcooked by my companions' meals were done well. Dessert included the best sticky toffee pudding I've had in years. Overall a great place with excellent food, that is slightly overpriced for what is delivered. Would go back and give it another shot when I'm in the neighborhood again, though.

Visited September 2012