“Birthday Baby!”
Review of Taverna Plaka

Taverna Plaka
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverna Plaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #652 of 4,069 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Vista
Transit: MARTA
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First time here was last year for a friend’s birthday. We had so much fun; we vowed to come back soon! Well life and other things didn't bring us back until this year to celebrate….and as usual Taverna Plaka didn't disappoint! There were 14 in our party and we had a blast! Food was good, although a few that got the Chef's menu were disappointed in the price vs. portions. Waiter was very attentive and fun. If loud music is not what you want, I suggest going on a Sunday evening. It is just as much fun, but not as many people. It was a memorable birthday spent with friends! Based on the chatter at the table, I'm thinking we will be back again soon to celebrate another birthday!!!!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A friend of mine was having a birthday so we decided to go to this restaurant - when I made the reservation, I indicated that it was my friend's birthday but nobody in the restaurant did anything special to make this day special for him. The music was extremely loud and me and my friends couldn't even hold a conversation without yelling. I chose to eat at a restaurant not a disco. I understand that they have the belly dancers and the party scene, but is there a reason to blare the music so loud?! The food was good but very expensive. Get ready to spend at least $25 to $30 per person to be full and have a decent meal! All in all I wasn't impressed, and I shan't return. I know other Greek restaurants where you can enjoy just as good as a meal without the blaring middle-eastern music! I don't care for the belly dancers.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I went to this restaurant as part of a birthday party on July 21, 2012. The belly dancers and dancing on the tables was fun and entertaining. The food was pretty good. I had a grilled chicken salad, which was decent and the portion was huge. My husband had grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, and whole green beans w/sprinkled Parmesan cheese. He thought his food was just ok. Others around us had the calamari, pork chops, santorini chicken, kabos, and grilled salmon. Everyone said there food was average to good. I also had a pear cosmopolitan, which was ok. I supposed prices are average ($14 for the salad and $8.50 for a small drink)

Things to know: Parking is valet. 20% gratuity is automatically added to checks of parties of 6 or more.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Let me start by saying: "Skip this place at all cost. There are so many better restaurants in Atlanta". We came here to celebrate an event, and everything was great...until it came time to pay the bill. We had a restaurant gift card for this specific restaurant (don't remember what kind) and presented it to our waitress at the beginning of the meal to assure there were no problems. She checked and came back and said it was fine. But after the meal when she went to get the check, she came back and said the owner was no longer accepting this gift card. Wow! A bit of a shock! My husband asked to speak with the owner/manager and told him that the waitress approved the gift card at the beginning of the meal. Then they proceeded to get into an argument. I was so upset, I told him we should refuse to pa y anything at all and I went to the car while they continued to argue. When my husband finally made it to the car, he said he gave up and paid the bill in full. I was furious with both the owner and my husband!

2  Thank dcbritt1
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was the first time the kids had experienced Greek food. My husband and I have had it once or twice in other cities. The food here was very good. Favorites were the hummus and Spanakopitakia. We also had the fried meatballs but they were a little dry. The girls seemed to enjoy the cucumber sauce the came with but I wasn't much of a fan. For entrees we all got something different Pistaschio, which was really good, stuffed tomato and pepper, delicious, beefeketa which to me wash very dry.. and moussaka.. another good dish. Loved the flavor and seasonings in the dishes.. Our server was very informative, but I wish we could have gotten more of the experience we came for. We seen other tables that got napkins thrown saying "Opa" but had to ask for it at our table. Our server threw a few napkins but quickly ran out and said she would find more but never did. The taverna website makes it seem as if it is a big family Greek party going on with lots of dancing.. which is one of the main reasons we went there over Imperial Fez. Maybe because it's Sunday that things didn't take off. We did have a belly dancer come out and got to take pictures. Our two year old really enjoyed that. Overall, I say the restaurant has above average food but the entertainment was lacking on the night we were there.