“If you want to deal with a greedy rude business owner, eat here.”
Review of Taverna Plaka

Taverna Plaka
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverna Plaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #721 of 3,941 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Vista
Transit: MARTA
Atlanta, Georgia
“If you want to deal with a greedy rude business owner, eat here.”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Let me start by saying: "Skip this place at all cost. There are so many better restaurants in Atlanta". We came here to celebrate an event, and everything was great...until it came time to pay the bill. We had a restaurant gift card for this specific restaurant (don't remember what kind) and presented it to our waitress at the beginning of the meal to assure there were no problems. She checked and came back and said it was fine. But after the meal when she went to get the check, she came back and said the owner was no longer accepting this gift card. Wow! A bit of a shock! My husband asked to speak with the owner/manager and told him that the waitress approved the gift card at the beginning of the meal. Then they proceeded to get into an argument. I was so upset, I told him we should refuse to pa y anything at all and I went to the car while they continued to argue. When my husband finally made it to the car, he said he gave up and paid the bill in full. I was furious with both the owner and my husband!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank dcbritt1

Lynchburg, Virginia
“First time experience”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was the first time the kids had experienced Greek food. My husband and I have had it once or twice in other cities. The food here was very good. Favorites were the hummus and Spanakopitakia. We also had the fried meatballs but they were a little dry. The girls seemed to enjoy the cucumber sauce the came with but I wasn't much of a fan. For entrees we all got something different Pistaschio, which was really good, stuffed tomato and pepper, delicious, beefeketa which to me wash very dry.. and moussaka.. another good dish. Loved the flavor and seasonings in the dishes.. Our server was very informative, but I wish we could have gotten more of the experience we came for. We seen other tables that got napkins thrown saying "Opa" but had to ask for it at our table. Our server threw a few napkins but quickly ran out and said she would find more but never did. The taverna website makes it seem as if it is a big family Greek party going on with lots of dancing.. which is one of the main reasons we went there over Imperial Fez. Maybe because it's Sunday that things didn't take off. We did have a belly dancer come out and got to take pictures. Our two year old really enjoyed that. Overall, I say the restaurant has above average food but the entertainment was lacking on the night we were there.

• Visited June 2012
Atlanta, GA
“This is the place for Greek food and fun in Atlanta!”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I am a "foodie" that loves Greek food. There are other good Greek restaurants in the Atlanta community. This one is the best of them. If I'm in the area, I almost always stop to eat here whether for lunch or dinner. You have an array of dishes from which to choose and every one of them are outstanding. And, they're all relatively inexpensive.

Somewhat surprisingly, the wait staff is predominately comprised of eastern European immigrants, but no matter. They're attentive, helpful and contribute to the Greek feel of the restaurant.

If weather permits, dine on the patio under the large old tree. Oh, and come for dinner during which you will get caught up in the Greek-feeling celebration of life and wine. You may be encouraged to climb up on the table to dance to Greek music. Not your thing, how about joining a Conga line dancing through the restaurant? Still not your thing? Then, just relax at your table and be entertained by the most beautiful belly dancer you will most likely ever see. And, she's a great dancer!

If you enjoy Greek food and atmosphere, you will be hard pressed to find better anywhere in the U.S., much less in Atlanta!

Visited May 2012
Maryville, Tennessee
“Fun Dining Experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Dinner at this restaurant was a really fun experience! I loved dancing in my chair and on the table (after we had eaten, of course). We even had a celebrity siting: Queen Latifah came in the restaurant that night and danced with the patrons! Our table was right by one of the speakers, and the loud music, though energizing, made conversation almost impossible. Service was slow, but the restaurant was packed (Saturday night) so it was understandable. The food was good, but the make-you-own hummus lacked flavor - it just tasted like mashed chickpeas with no seasoning. I suggest getting a reservation for weekend dining because this place fills up fast, and definitely plan to be here for two hours or so.

• Visited April 2012
Atlanta
“Poor service ruined the evening...”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Positives first: Super fun place to go with a large group or even just a few friends. Dancing on tables with the belly-dancers, Greek line dance through the restaurant and patio with just about everyone joining in. High energy and lots of great Greek music -- although really loud sometimes! The make-your-own hummus was tasty, and the pita is fabulous. We ordered the chef special dinner for two -- a sampling of some common Greek foods, which is what I wanted that night. At $25 a person it seemed like a good way to try their fare. Although I enjoyed most of the items, the moussaka (my favorite Greek dish) left me disappointed. The eggplant was extremely bitter; tsk tsk on that, such an easy fix. The kabobs and gyro meat were good. Spanikopita (spinach pie) was unremarkable, and quite whimpy for an authentic Greek restaurant. It lacked flavor, substance and was room temperature when it arrived. At least make it either cold, or hot. Dessert plate had 3 items; baklava - typical and good, bread pudding - okay, and a custard type square that I really enjoyed. Overall, the food was alright. The $25 per person was quite high for the amount of food we had. I believe they count on the customer filling up on pita and dips so that the rest is too much to eat. Still, I'd have been glad to bring home more in a box since I paid $50 for it!
Now for the real bummer of the night -- the waiter. I'll call him "D". D came on with a bang, you know the type -- that kiss a** waiter that is all talk and no action. We had to flag him down any time we needed him. He forgot two of the food items that came with our meal, stopped by once during the meal while other staff delivered our food (how it works there, but he never checked back). Dirty plates were all over our table, instead of being cleared after each new selection. Empty water glasses too. When we flagged him down for our bill -- having to send two other waiters to find him, we asked to please return with our bill quickly as we didn't want to spend another 1/2 hour waiting. We were using a groupon coupon and when he returned with the bill he had added 20% onto the bill for gratuity. I told him this is not correct, and he stated that that is how they do it there. We took this up with the manager, and showed him that it did not state that there is an automatic 20% gratuity added. We know to tip on the original price before discount, however, there was no way D was getting anywhere near 20%. We discussed this with the management and they gave us back the bill without gratuity added. We then gave what we felt due -- and that was even too much, but we know other staff would be getting a piece of the tip at the end of the night. By the time we left we were so annoyed by D that we practically ran out of there. (Once he realized we were with the manager he put on his best performance of being a good waiter...hilarious!) I will go back with a large group for the fun of it, but I'll make sure not to get D as a waiter, and just go for the atmosphere. I can't wait to go back to Detroit for some of the best Greek food I've ever had. Puts this place to shame.

• Visited April 2012