“One of our favorites.”
Review of Chops Lobster Bar

Chops Lobster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chops Lobster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 4,021 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: An Atlanta icon known for its exceptional food and service, Chops consistently ranks as one of the top ten steakhouses in the country. Exquisite seafood flown in fresh daily and the very best USDA prime aged beef are served with style in the warm ambiance of the dark wood dining room. Whether you’re dining for business or pleasure, a meal at Chops is sure to make a lasting impression.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Prime steaks, fried lobster tails, and great service. We go here at least once a year for a special occasion and it never disappoints. Fantastic service. A little pricey but worth every penny.

1  Thank Dougt1957

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visited Chops last weekend abd the service was horrible...the food is always A+...but if I am going to spend nearly 100 pp to eat and drink fine wine....I really think the service should be top notch. This is my second bad service experience. The Lobster Bar downstairs has never had this problem...They always call me by name and are very attentive.

1  Thank juliea1218
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our third visit to CLB was outstanding. We were seated upon entry. Our waiter (Matthew) got the ball rolling immediately with drink orders. He was attentive and engaged throughout in a positive, balanced way. The occasion was my brother's birthday, and I told him to arrive hungry; he did.

We had the seafood tower, garlic mashed potatoes, and organic mushrooms for appetizers. They were well presented and flavorful.

Our table ordered the filet mignon and the lamb chops. Wow! Simply the best. Cooked to perfection. I forced myself to mix some mint jelly with a bite or two of lamb. Truthfully I did not want any interference with the natural meat flavor, tradition or not.

For that special event, CLB is an excellent choice for food selection, wine pairings, and a quiet, upscale atmosphere. The tab for our table of three was $250. The menu is al a cart with oversized side dishes. Access is via walking or car (valet only), and reservations are recommended.

I personally would stop short of rating CLB as "family friendly" if only because CLB is not a child-prominent setting. Still, well-behaved children were in evidence and were provided every courtesy as if they were adults.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I made my on-line reservation through Open Table, I did not know it was downstairs in the lobster bar, so when we arrived, we took the elevator upstairs to the steakhouse. It was very dark and formal, with the usual steakhouse dark woods and leather. They told us our reservation was for downstairs, but said they could accommodate us at either place (menus are the same). We loved the atmosphere downstairs as it was very bright and much more inviting for our taste. Just inside the front door is an oyster bar, where most of the single men sat. It featured dozens of fresh oysters on the half shell over a bed of ice, all in plain view for the choosing.

We were seated at a table near the back... a table for four which was very nice since many places these days put couples at these tiny tables where there is no room for all the plates. One of the nicest touches was how they always spoke to me by name; it was never just, "Would you like ...", but "Mr. C___, would you like more water", "Mr. C____, would you like another drink", etc. A small thing that added greatly to the experience and made us feel as though we were regulars.

Immediately after being seated, the waiter arrived to take our drink order. I generally drink highballs, a simple Jack Daniels and water, but since we were on vacation, I ordered something a little different. I tried the Cherry Limeade, which was an alcoholic version with flavored vodka and it was quite good. My date had (several) grape martinis, which came out pink and they were very tasty...

For appetizers, I had the lobster bisque which was fabulous; enough sherry to be noticed, but it did not overwhelm the taste of the soup. She had the French onion soup which was magnificent. Our entrees were the Seafood Platter for me and the twelve-ounce Pepper Filet for her. She orders her steaks medium and this was one of the first places to ever get the level of doneness perfectly correct on the first try. The meat was fork tender and absolutely delicious. My seafood platter featured a small lobster, two sea scallops and a piece of salmon, all grilled to perfection and accompanied by a small dish of drawn butter over a warming candle. Dessert was a bread pudding for me and creme brulee for her, both of which were wonderful.

Overall, this was the finest dining experience either of us have had in a long time. Attentive service without being hovering, incredible food that was fresh and perfectly prepared, a wide-ranging menu that allowed for sufficient choices for almost any taste, a very welcoming atmosphere where conversation remained easy even after the place began to fill with patrons. The staff has been well-trained and understands how to heighten the dining experience through attention to little details rarely seen at most places. With three drinks, appetizers and two desserts, the total bill (including a very generous tip) came to just over $200, which would not allow an every day return, but for special occasions or just a great meal is not unreasonable. I will certainly recommend this restaurant for anyone coming to Atlanta and plan to return again before I leave.

1  Thank aggieband
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My experience was a little different at this restaurant. I had heard many good things about this but I was very disappointed. I ordered the tuna, which many of my friends had told me before was good. I didn't enjoy it. I was with a group. Noone in my group thought theirs was outstanding. It was a Tuesday night. It was crowded when we got there but by the time we finally ordered, it had cleared out. Our server must have had too many tables to get to us to refill drinks, including water. Overall, I wouldn't suggest this restaurant to anyone.