“Looks questionable, tastes awesome!”
Review of Daddy D'z

Daddy D'z
Ranked #206 of 4,000 Restaurants in Atlanta
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Who knew food this great could come out of a trailer?! While the restaurant is unassuming and a little sketchy, the ribs were amazing -- possibly the best I've ever had. It's a bit of a trek out of downtown Georgia in a bit of a questionable area but so, so worth it

1  Thank acdeslx

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We showed up on a Saturday at dark and were told that they were out of several things. They do warn you of this, of course, but it did mean we ended up getting the same thing. We both got ribs (about four each) and three pieces of dark meat chicken with two sides for about $18 each. The meat rocked the house but the sides were a bit bland. The service was generally okay, but we were in no rush. The environment is typical of most ban places we visit so we liked that. Will we come back? Only if we're craving BBQ but we'll make no special trip. Total cost of two entrees, one beer and one water amounted to slightly more than fifty bones.

1  Thank Julianne D
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We asked the bellman at our hotel where to go for a casual, AUTHENTIC barbecue place would be. He sent us to Daddy Dz. When you pull up, you will question your choice. It is NOT fancy. This is what we wanted. When you get out of the car, you can smell the smoke. Yipee!!!

This place is not far from Martin Luther King's Memorial and Oakland Cemetery is down the street.

The ribs were yummy!! Hubby and I both got 1/2 slab plates(platters?) with two sides because he said he was hungry. We ended up taking leftovers back to the bellman!! We were so full we hardly ate the sides!! If you're average in hunger, share a 1/2 platter and each of you pick a side. The plates/platter also come with a dense, sweet corn bread which was yummy. Fried okra was crunchy (could have had a little more seasoning). The red beans and rice were well made with a bit of heat. Hubby had mac & cheese which looked a little dry but definitely homemade and baked beans.

For the ribs, if you are finicky about the sauce ask for it on the side. The meat was a bit too saturated for our taste. The meat was tender and flavorful. The waitress brought a side of the hotter BBQ sauce which didn't seem very hot to me. Maybe if I had eaten more of it, I would have noticed the heat.

With a beer, sweet tea, two 1/2 platters with sides and atip, we spent $51. Save yourself some money and SHARE. (Not sure if there is a splitting fee).

If you are eating there, SEAT YOURSELF! Going to counter means you are ordering take out. Waitstaff is friendly but not hovering.

1  Thank JensNeenah_WI
Reviewed September 5, 2013

It is just the best ribs I have had period. Lovely vinegary sauce with a nice tomato smoke flavor. The slaw is creamy. The onion rings hot, huge, and just the right bite. This place is killin' me. I am so so happy right now.

Don't try to be cheap - two people get the rack of ribs, and the fried okra, and the onion rings, and the mac 'n cheese ok that's too much but it is all good.

This is the place to have a bib and to unbuckle the trousers.

1  Thank cosmic_beancounter
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was in Atlanta for the 2013 Chick fil a college football kick-off game and wanted some real good southern BBQ. I searched the internet and found Daddy D'z. I pulled up with my wife and two daughters and yes, it looks like a hole in the wall BBQ joynt. We knew it was going to be good and boy were we right! I ordered the ribs and everyone else ordered the pulled pork. We each ordered two sides so we were all able to try the green beans, baked beans, collard greens, candied yams, potato salad, fried zucchini. And let me tell you that the vegetables were so fresh and tasty, we ate all of it. They offered a mild or hot BBQ sauce and I requested a mixture of the two. It turned out yummy. Everyone tried my ribs and everyone said they were fall of the bone, finger lickin good! The pulled pork was very good too, moist with just the right amount of bite. While we were enjoying our meal, we saw the delivery of the homemade cakes for dessert. Three homemade cakes came in, one strawberry, one double chocolate and one vanilla. The lady behind the counter returned two empty cake containers to the elderly gentlemen and away he went. We asked out waitress about the cakes and she said that was the daily delivery of homemade cakes. She recommended the strawberry cake as it was the best seller. Well, we had a piece for all of us to share and it did not last long. It was simply melt in your mouth yummy. The food here is fresh and delicious, the staff were super friendly and took very good care of us. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Daddy D'z and I fully recommend this Bar-b-que joynt to my fellow BBQ lovers!

1  Thank karenanddave_25